Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:51 PM

62 posts, read 159,704 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about something...

I'm a happily married woman, and my husband would say I'm "girlie". I like all things feminine...chick flicks, flowers in my house, the color pink, etc. I don't think I have a "tomboy" bone in my body.

But here's one unique thing about me (or at least I think it's unique; that's what I'm trying to find out): I hate clothes. Well, I don't hate wearing them (LOL!), but I hate having to buy them. I don't give a flying fig about my wardrobe, and buying clothes is about as fun to me as buying tires for my car.

I know women who'd trade their first born for a closet full of designer shoes. And I know women who would forego paying their heating bill if it meant less money for new clothes that month.

I've known women over the years who can literally lower their blood pressure just by buying a new Coach purse. And I know one woman who can go two months before wearing the same outfit twice.

And I just cannot relate. I couldn't care less about my wardrobe, and I get absolutely nothing out of purses (I don't carry one), jewelry (I own one pair of earrings that I got as a gift) a closet full of shoes (I own 3 pair), or designer jeans.

I don't think anybody would describe me as a slob, but I'm certainly not "put together" like some of the women I know. My clothes match, but that's because I only wear two colors: black and white (LOL!). I simply can't be bothered to color-coordinate my wardrobe, so I make it easy by wearing only two colors.

Are there any other girlie type women like me who feel as I do about clothes?

Last edited by Jill1972; 03-09-2009 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
OMG. And I'm a guy and I have a gigantic women's wardrobe of 120+ skirt suits, $1000+ of Wacoal Lingerie, goth, cheerleader, schoolgirl, dresses, shoes, jewelry, 2 purses, 10+ dress suits, various sexy lingerie and bra & panty sets, only two clip on earrings, 2 watches, and 1 femme pair of glasses! - All for my former crossdressing habit! Luckily, if I do quit crossdressing, this would be used to dress up a sexy size 4 to 6 woman my height, like Britney Spears [my exact size woman too].

I should be more woman and feminine than you! But I don't have a vagina and **** [too bad...]. Life would have been wonderful being a pretty chick!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:30 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
I like to keep my clothes simple - if I find a style I like I buy it in multiple colors. I know what looks good on me and dont follow fashion - but on the other hand I am very feminine and sexy.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:30 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1972 View Post
I'm curious about something...

I'm a happily married woman, and my husband would say I'm "girlie". I like all things feminine...chick flicks, flowers in my house, the color pink, etc. I don't think I have a "tomboy" bone in my body.

But here's one unique thing about me (or at least I think it's unique; that's what I'm trying to find out): I hate clothes. Well, I don't hate wearing them (LOL!), but I hate having to buy them. I don't give a flying fig about my wardrobe, and buying clothes is about as fun to me as buying tires for my car.

I know women who'd trade their first born for a closet full of designer shoes. And I know women who would forego paying their heating bill if it meant less money for new clothes that month.

I've known women over the years who can literally lower their blood pressure just by buying a new Coach purse. And I know one woman who can go two months before wearing the same outfit twice.

And I just cannot relate. I couldn't care less about my wardrobe, and I get absolutely nothing out of purses (I don't carry one), jewelry (I own one pair of earrings that I got as a gift) a closet full of shoes (I own 3 pair), or designer jeans.

I don't think anybody would describe me as a slob, but I'm certainly not "put together" like some of the women I know. My clothes match, but that's because I only wear two colors: black and white (LOL!). I simply can't be bothered to color-coordinate my wardrobe, so I make it easy by wearing only two colors.

Are there any other girlie type women like me who feel as I do about clothes?
I'm kinda the same way. I'm girly, but I have a little bit of tomboy in me. That said, I"m not a big fan of shopping for clothing. I have particular things in my wardrobe that I like to wear regularly, but I don't really go shopping much.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:08 AM

496 posts, read 1,250,905 times
wow, you must be a dream for your hubby. hah my husband hates shopping while i, as you said it, love lowering my blood pressure by shopping. i am sure there are women like you. nothing wrong with the way you are.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:00 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
That just leaves you more time for other things! Shopping can be really stupid, and a big money and time waster. Plus depending on where you shop the lighting and decor (or lack thereof) can suck the life out of you big time.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:05 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times
I am married with two kids and am definetely not in the high maintenance category! I like to look good, but am not really into shopping. I have what I need and that's good. A purse is just something to carry a few things in. I buy one and use it until I wear it out! I have friends that get their nails done, legs waxed, hair colored, go to tanning booths, get boob jobs and liposuction - I guess I don't need all that stuff to feel good about myself!! I will say that the nails are really pretty, and it would be nice to have boobs (more than a B!), but I'm just not that way! I guess my one hang up is, in the summer I have to have my toenails painted (which I do myself) and I love anklets!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:21 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Just because people do those things doesn't mean they need to. Some people actually enjoy it. I do. Haven't gone as far as lipo...I don't think I would enjoy that. LOL (video of it burned in memory. OOch)

Strange is I am not into chick flicks, pink, having kids, etc...

But I love the hair, make-up, closet thickening. Hate shopping for clothing when I need something that has to be a certain thing for a deadline. But otherwise its fun. I learned how to turbo shop. It doesn't take long. Last time I went shopping with someone who hates it (my father) he waited in the car.
I was in and out with two full bags in 15 minutes. HE just started laughing as soon as he saw me because he couldn't believe I was done. I do not like fussing around in stores. Whenever I am shopping I always get asked by other shoppers where things are too like I work there. LOL

I think thats pretty funny.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:37 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1972 View Post
buying clothes is about as fun to me as buying tires for my car.
LOL! I'd rather buy tires, too. At least there isn't a three-way mirror critiquing my purchase. And the guys at the tire shop are much more engaging that the witches who work the floor at the department stores.

My work wardrobe is straight out of the LL Bean catalog (Garanimals for grown-ups); otherwise I"m in workout gear. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I do have a boatload of shoes, though -- also from LL Bean! I used to buy earrings like nobody's business, but since the spouse gave me a pair of beautiful diamond earrings, that's all I wear.

Quote:
but I'm certainly not "put together" like some of the women I know.
You sound put together to me -- you've got priorities that go beyond phsyical appearance. Good for you.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:58 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,105,115 times
I love clothes but one thing I have never done is buy women's magazines ( Cosmo ect..). Never ever have I bought any of those types of magazines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty