Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:51 PM

337 posts, read 1,431,805 times

Advertisements

Okay...my daughter just bought a black velvet/poly corset t-shirt from Hot Topic yesterday. Today she was cutting off the tags and noticed the Warning Label that says, "Warning: This product contains lead and lead compounds, chemicals known to the state of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm."

I couldn't believe it! This shirt is going right back to the store! Has anyone else seen this or worn items with this warning from Hot Topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 05:07 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
There was some law or other passed about this recently, kids clothes have to be tested for lead now. It caused a big brouhaha at stores that sell second hand childrens clothes. Anyway I don't think it's just Hot Topic, it's all apparel. Maybe Hot Topic is just one of the first to comply with the new labeling law, or maybe just the first one you've seen so far.

http://j-walkblog.com/index.php?/web...ting_clothing/

Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,025 times
That's scary. I just bought a top from Hot Topic...I need to check the tag.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
That's scary. I just bought a top from Hot Topic...I need to check the tag.
Actually, we just moved away from San Antonio and my daughter bought a LOT of stuff from the Hot Topic in Ingram Park Mall, and we never found a label like this on anything she ever bought there. We now live in Florida.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:22 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Actually, we just moved away from San Antonio and my daughter bought a LOT of stuff from the Hot Topic in Ingram Park Mall, and we never found a label like this on anything she ever bought there. We now live in Florida.
Wow...I last shopped at the Ingram location...what a coincidence.

I just checked my shirt and I didn't find anything with such a warning on it. So I'm good.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:24 PM

266 posts, read 866,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Okay...my daughter just bought a black velvet/poly corset t-shirt from Hot Topic yesterday. Today she was cutting off the tags and noticed the Warning Label that says, "Warning: This product contains lead and lead compounds, chemicals known to the state of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm."

I couldn't believe it! This shirt is going right back to the store! Has anyone else seen this or worn items with this warning from Hot Topic?
holy crap. Good to know!

Old 03-27-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
There was some law or other passed about this recently, kids clothes have to be tested for lead now. It caused a big brouhaha at stores that sell second hand childrens clothes. Anyway I don't think it's just Hot Topic, it's all apparel. Maybe Hot Topic is just one of the first to comply with the new labeling law, or maybe just the first one you've seen so far.

The J-Walk Blog: Lead-Testing Clothing
Interesting information and I hadn't heard this. I would understand about lead disclosure on children's clothes, specifically....however, what about Hot Topic? It's not exactly a "children's" clothing store? So....what does this really mean? Is lead a regular ingredient in ALL clothes, but they just have to warn us about it if we are under 12?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,552 times
I buy a decent amount of merchandise from Hot Topic and have never seen such a label. I have, however, come across tags/labels on other merchandise from many, many other stores that say, "Warning: This product contains <insert obscure chemical name here>, chemicals known to the state of California to cause birth defects/cancer."

My father an I have many running jokes about things that cause cancer in only California and nowhere else.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:29 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Its in the dye. Its in more than that outfit. Its in your hair-dye and make-up most likely too.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:58 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,439 times
What did the garment look like? Was it black, purple, silver, did it have glitter? What type of fabric?
Oh, I see it was black poly-velvet . Didn't read closely enough. So its the black dye? Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty