Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times

Advertisements

How do you put red lipstick on without smearing it around and looking like you were into your mommy's purse I just can't seem to get it right Should I just go with a red lip gloss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:58 AM

87 posts, read 310,388 times
Use a lip liner first. It keeps the lipstick from running.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:34 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Ha, ha, ha! That's too funny!

Have you tried a matte lipstick?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
I always, ALWAYS use a lip liner when I wear red lipstick AND I blot several times also to "seal" the colour.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:53 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,440 times
I suggest using a liner, draw a wide line INSIDE your lip line (meaning, don't try to make your lips bigger than they are), and blend it inwards toward your mouth. Then, lightly brush on a solid stain (recommend Laura Mercier, it's a cross between lipstick and stain). Then, either leave it matte or dab on a bit of shiny gloss in the middle of upper and lower lip.

The liner helps define the line of your lips and helps the other stuff stay put. The stain is less "slippery" than normal lipstick and is easier to put on precisely. Also, the stain lasts longer without being super dry like most long lasting lipsticks.

Also, make sure you exfoliate your lips. I don't buy fancy products for this, I just wipe them roughly with a washcloth in the shower to prevent any flakes showing through, especially in the winter.

Laura Mercier - Colour - Lip Stain - www.lauramercier.com (http://www.lauramercier.com/products/colour/lips/lip_gloss/lip_stain/ - broken link)

Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
I first use MAC Prep + Prime on my lips. This creates a barrier so your lipstick doesn't run. Then I use a natural color lip liner, but I don't just line my lips with it, I fill in the entire lip(s) with the lip liner because I hate that line around the outside look. Then I use a lip brush and apply a matte red lipstick, blot it, put a little more on, blot it again, dust it with transluscent powder and blot off any excess and apply a dab of lip gloss in the center of my bottom lip only. Even after I eat or drink I rarely have to reapply lipstick if I've done all of this.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I first use MAC Prep + Prime on my lips. This creates a barrier so your lipstick doesn't run. Then I use a natural color lip liner, but I don't just line my lips with it, I fill in the entire lip(s) with the lip liner because I hate that line around the outside look. Then I use a lip brush and apply a matte red lipstick, blot it, put a little more on, blot it again, dust it with transluscent powder and blot off any excess and apply a dab of lip gloss in the center of my bottom lip only. Even after I eat or drink I rarely have to reapply lipstick if I've done all of this.

DAMN!!! That's alotta work! But if it works then awesome!! I have read this somewhere before but I thought they just want you to spend money on all those products. lol

Old 04-02-2009, 09:42 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times
Isn't it gross when alpha dogs come up and start humping your leg and their red lipstick pops out?

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I used to do pinup modeling and red lipstick was just a necessary evil of the trade

Here was my process:

Line lips with a nude lipliner just on the edge/a little outside your natural lip line. Pucker lips together to smooth the line just a bit. It will take practice to do this well (as odd as that seems).
Then, line again VERY lightly with a lip liner pencil a bit lighter red than the color you're using. ALWAYS use a lip brush, never put on lipstick straight from the tube, it's very difficult to do precise lines from the tube. blot on a napkin (paper towels are better, since they don't have the little 'thread' issue that toilet paper and regular napkins do) then, dust them with light face powder to seal the first layer.

After that, blot again LIGHTLY to get the excesss powder off, then reapply lipstick with a the brush. Blot once more and you have it

Complicated, yes, but when you're outside in the summer heat taking pictures for magazines your lipstick CAN'T run.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Maybe you can tattoo your lips red. I think Sarah Palin tattooed her lip liner on, and she always wore red lipstick. Might be an idea that works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty