Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:37 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times

Advertisements

I love the way my husband dresses. He keeps things really simple with a white t-shirt under collared shirts, khakis or nice jeans, chuck taylors (converse, the white low-tops) or brown leather shoes (like Rockport's or Docker's) or doc martens. Cargo pants or shorts with a polo or rugby shirt or a ringer T on the weekends. Think J.Crew, old-school Gap, or Eddie Bauer. My husband and I are not into high fashion or expensive name-brand crap. I can't stand seeing men in those designer jeans and trendy t-shirts. Someone gave us a gift card to Nordstroms once, and we couldn't find anything there worth buying so we regifted it. What a sad store, we don't understand all the hype. I think a classic, simple look is better. People will take you more seriously and treat you with more respect. Spending over a hundred dollars on a pair of designer jeans with some extra stitching on the pockets is ridiculous, and gives others the impression that you are, too. Save your money, dress smart, and you'll be better off. Of course, we're in our 30's... so this works for us! I think age has something to do with what kind of clothes you like to wear, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I FEEL THE SAME WAY! MEN'S FASHION - ALL THE SAME STUFF REHASHED, HARDLY ANYTHING NEW! Polo shirts have been the same since the 80's - just get them thrift! Men's suits - always same and boring!

That's WHY I LOVE WOMEN'S CLOTHES! SO MUCH BEAUTIFUL VARIETY AND STUFF!
Are you still cross dressing?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeOneO View Post
What are some good styles that are in right now for men?
Right now my fashion sense is in the drain i need some help deciding whats good

Ladies your input would be greatly appreciated
It all depends on your age but for the younger crowd cardigans and vintage t-shirts are primarily looks you see advertised and on Gossip Girl, (which sadly I watch). I would look into Urban Outfitters, H & M, Zara or Heritage 1981 if you're seeking something trendy and new.

For more classics, stick with GAP, Banana Republic, J Crew, Express & Macy's.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
Are you still cross dressing?
Yeah... crossdressing is so hard to quit when you're beautiful and women's clothes are so beautiful too!

Old 04-19-2009, 02:04 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I love the way my husband dresses. He keeps things really simple with a white t-shirt under collared shirts, khakis or nice jeans, chuck taylors (converse, the white low-tops) or brown leather shoes (like Rockport's or Docker's) or doc martens. Cargo pants or shorts with a polo or rugby shirt or a ringer T on the weekends. Think J.Crew, old-school Gap, or Eddie Bauer. My husband and I are not into high fashion or expensive name-brand crap. I can't stand seeing men in those designer jeans and trendy t-shirts. Someone gave us a gift card to Nordstroms once, and we couldn't find anything there worth buying so we regifted it. What a sad store, we don't understand all the hype. I think a classic, simple look is better. People will take you more seriously and treat you with more respect. Spending over a hundred dollars on a pair of designer jeans with some extra stitching on the pockets is ridiculous, and gives others the impression that you are, too. Save your money, dress smart, and you'll be better off. Of course, we're in our 30's... so this works for us! I think age has something to do with what kind of clothes you like to wear, too.
Well if you have not noticed this is the fashion forum

So..... what is your purpose for posting here?

Old 04-20-2009, 04:26 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
http://men.style.com

Old 04-21-2009, 12:29 AM

51 posts, read 157,228 times
Atta boy. Check out GQ and Esquire for some ideas. I like to mix it up. Shop around too. Don't just shop in department stores and boutiques. Last month at the goodwill store, I bought a bitchin houndstooth blazer from like the 80's for 5 dollars. But my style is funky like that. Good luck with finding your own style.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:16 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeOneO View Post
What are some good styles that are in right now for men?
Right now my fashion sense is in the drain i need some help deciding whats good

Ladies your input would be greatly appreciated
I'm not a lady, but from a guy's perspective and what works for me:

Shirts: some long sleeve dress shirts, a few solid colors and a few with subtle stripes fit the bill. Bold stripes and loud colors don't work for me, lol. It's good to have both button down and pinpoint collars. Sometimes I wear them with one button undone, depending on the situation.

Also, a few short sleeve polo shirts and button downs would work. Same color principles apply.

Pants: a few pairs of blue jeans, kahkis, and dress pants. I have a few pairs of dress pants with mild pinstripes. I also have flat and pleated front pants. Again, it depends on what you like.

Suits-Definitely one dark gray, one blue and a tan or brown. Double breasted suits don't work for everyone and they tend to go in and out of style. Find yourself a good tailor who can custom-fit and alter your suits for you.

I have two three-button suits and one with a mild pinstripe. If you really want to be bold, get a simple pocket square and a white shirt with french cuffs. A nice sportcoat is also good to have.

Ties:-Solid colors are back and they are timeless. Ties with bold and outlandish patterns tend to detract from a suit. However, if you are just wearing a shirt and tie, I don't see why not. Personally, I prefer solid and subtle patterned ties. Avoid clip-on ties at all costs. they may be convenient, but they look cheap.

Shoes-a pair of loafers, dress shoes, brown and black, slip-on and lace, and a pair of sandals.

I personally don't wear shorts, but there are many styles to choose from.

I have a stainless steel watch and wear one ring on each ring finger and one bracelet, which is also stainless and looks good with anything. I personally never wear more than one ring per hand or more than one bracelet. Jewelry isn't everyone's thing, but with the right pieces, it can add a nice touch.

Overall, I have found that keeping things simple and sticking to the basics is not only timeless, but works wonders.

You also don't have to spend a fortune either. Many of the stores, especially Macy's have sales all the time. I've purchased $60 shirts for as little as $10.

Last edited by Gil3; 04-21-2009 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-21-2009, 09:51 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
The problem with men's fashion is that men still want to dress like their teenage boys instead of like their fathers and grandfathers.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,183 times
A fashion man should be strong, musle should be perfect , skinny man_out out.
And fair style, two double finger ring, ear studs, watch* as the Vampire diary, Steven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty