Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:44 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

I cant wait to get back into sandals and or flip flops yeah I remember having a hard time with them and I went to wal mart and got a pair of sandals that just had straps across the top of them and they were so comfortable I think they were made by panama jack if i remember correctly and hope to find another pair of panama jacks they are so comfy . love them . You might want to try that brand . good luck .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 12:16 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I cant wait to get back into sandals and or flip flops yeah I remember having a hard time with them and I went to wal mart and got a pair of sandals that just had straps across the top of them and they were so comfortable I think they were made by panama jack if i remember correctly and hope to find another pair of panama jacks they are so comfy . love them . You might want to try that brand . good luck .
I would wear them year round if I could get away with it! My dh isn't a sandals kind of guy either, and I know I could never get him in flip flops, but I did buy him a pair of the more "rugged" sandals that buckle, and do not go between your toes. He has worn them a few times and has to admit that they feel alot better than hot sweaty feet!

Old 04-16-2009, 12:36 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
Honestly they don't look too comfortable. Are they more comfortable than they look?
Oh yes, they really are. The molded cork footbeds provide support (something which almost all sandals and flip flops lack) and over time the footbeds mold to the shape of your individual foot. This is great for someone with weak arches. I am personally a fan of the Milano type which is the same as the Arizona except it also has a heel strap so you don't accidentally walk out of them and bring the most sensitive part of your sole down on the heel cup which is a painful experience. They come in a wide variety of styles, but I prefer the strappy types with nothing in between my toes.

One pair will last you for years, and they can be renovated after awhile by a cobbler who can replace the soles when they wear out as well as the liner and cork footbed if needed. If you get a suede pair, spring for the spray on suede protectant and treat them before you ever wear them. After treatment they can take even a complete soaking without ruining the suede. I have also had good experiences with the leather uppers but they need a little breaking in to be comfortable in contrast with the suede which feels great from day one.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:47 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Flip flops DO take getting used to if you have not worn them. I wouldn't wear them for YEARS until I found ONE pair in the keys that did not hurt between my toes. And I guess those sort of "wore me in", cuz now I can wear many different styles. BUT, I need arch support, so the totally flat ones just don't work for me. Try Reefs. They are awesome - I can walk in them all day!!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 PM

88 posts, read 259,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Oh yes, they really are. The molded cork footbeds provide support (something which almost all sandals and flip flops lack) and over time the footbeds mold to the shape of your individual foot. This is great for someone with weak arches. I am personally a fan of the Milano type which is the same as the Arizona except it also has a heel strap so you don't accidentally walk out of them and bring the most sensitive part of your sole down on the heel cup which is a painful experience. They come in a wide variety of styles, but I prefer the strappy types with nothing in between my toes.

One pair will last you for years, and they can be renovated after awhile by a cobbler who can replace the soles when they wear out as well as the liner and cork footbed if needed. If you get a suede pair, spring for the spray on suede protectant and treat them before you ever wear them. After treatment they can take even a complete soaking without ruining the suede. I have also had good experiences with the leather uppers but they need a little breaking in to be comfortable in contrast with the suede which feels great from day one.
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to find something that is comfortable yet look halfway decent at the same time. There are SO many different options out there.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2136 View Post
Do you have any suggestions as far as what kind to buy? Bought some cheap ones from Target but they are uncomfortable. Been thinking about buying Teva flops, a little more pricey but perhaps more comfortable.
I HIGHLY recommend Chaco flip flops. They are more expensive, but very much worth the money. They last forever and unlike most flip flops they actually have good arch support. If you aren't used to the arch support or wearing flips, break them in by wearing them just a couple hours a day at first.

If you just can't get used to flips, their regular strap sandals are great too. Unlike Tevas they have just one strap that snakes through, less rubbing on your feet and more able to adjust to different widths/sizes. The regular sandals can be re-soled, the flips cannot.

They are only available at specialty outdoor stores usually, sometimes can be found on zappos.com for cheaper.

http://chacousa.com/Portal.aspx?CN=8EF2D41E1947&MN=0BB282DB738F]Chaco - Mens Products

Old 04-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
I would wear them year round if I could get away with it! My dh isn't a sandals kind of guy either, and I know I could never get him in flip flops, but I did buy him a pair of the more "rugged" sandals that buckle, and do not go between your toes. He has worn them a few times and has to admit that they feel alot better than hot sweaty feet!
LOL I used to be like that. When I was a kid, I always wore socks and refused to wear sandals. My opinion on them changed recently but I'm still a bit shy about wearing them around family and friends since they've ALWAYS seen me in shoes and socks in the past (I'm almost 30 now). I tend to wear sandals in areas where I don't feel I will encounter anyone I know such as going on road trips and at stores and eating places in locations away from home.

When I am in town I am so happy in my sandals I love the comfort and the freedom...I also am nervous though about running into anyone I know even though it seems to be more acceptable for guys to wear them these days. It is like I want to enjoy the comfort and air of sandals but not around the people I am close to. Crazy I know..

Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
I HIGHLY recommend Chaco flip flops. They are more expensive, but very much worth the money. They last forever and unlike most flip flops they actually have good arch support. If you aren't used to the arch support or wearing flips, break them in by wearing them just a couple hours a day at first.

If you just can't get used to flips, their regular strap sandals are great too. Unlike Tevas they have just one strap that snakes through, less rubbing on your feet and more able to adjust to different widths/sizes. The regular sandals can be re-soled, the flips cannot.

They are only available at specialty outdoor stores usually, sometimes can be found on zappos.com for cheaper.

http://chacousa.com/Portal.aspx?CN=8EF2D41E1947&MN=0BB282DB738F]Chaco - Mens Products
Awesome! Thanks for the link! I've never really worn flips for much longer than a couple hours at a time (like going to the store). Would it be a good idea to have a pair of flips for the quick trips to the store, etc, and another pair of "regular" sandals that can be worn all day? Or would the Chacos flips be good to wear all day?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Just move to Hawaii, then wearing anything other than slippers (flip flops) is considered dress up. Except for rubber boots, of course, those aren't dress up. I wear Scott's slippers and have been wearing them for the past thirty years. I can't wear mainland style shoes since the back of them rubs the skin off my heels. If you only wear flip flops for decades, then there are some drawbacks, I guess. After awhile your toes may learn to spread out and breathe again.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 PM

298 posts, read 716,204 times
Try Rainbow flip flops.

Rainbow Sandals - Beach Sandals (http://www.rainbowsandals.com/Leathers.asp - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty