Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 09:43 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,618 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This is probably going to sound somewhat silly, but I've developed a small fascination with fashion after watching the makeover shows for so many years and hearing from nearly everyone that fashion and style are very important for a woman and her career. I've found myself so curious about everything that I've thought about actually enrolling in fashion school and learning the secrets of the pros, but I wonder if I should even be thinking like this. I need advice. I've dreamt so much about a new life as a fashion stylist or fashion designer that I'm almost sick. What should I do if I really can't get this out of my head?

Possibly, part of this obsession has to do with my mom passing away. I always resisted when she tried to teach me those girly things, and I feel like I missed out. I find that my fellow females and I, especially the children with whom I work, have little in common, and I would like to seem like more of a person to the girls and women I see. I've heard that having a command of fashion can give someone good nonverbal communication skills. I need that, but I feel like I can't teach myself.

I know that people who go to fashion school are generally people who have done it all of their lives, but I would at least like to try it out. I need a lot of prerequisite skills; I know, but I don't know where to learn them and would like to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 02:13 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,831,280 times
What career are you in now?
When you say you are interested in fashion do you mean design, a buyer, store management?
Have you thought of working part time in the fashion field to see what it is like first hand before you go to school for it?

Old 04-27-2014, 05:08 AM

I'm supposed to be in teaching, but I've only been able to find part-time fill-in work.

I'm interested in fashion styling and maybe fashion design. Of course, I need to know the business side of everything, too, though, but right now I want to design garments and things and learn about fashion as more of a hobby. I know I shouldn't invest in fashion school for that, but I haven't really found ways to feed my curiosity. Plus, fashion styling, if the student finds the right mentor, can be a potentially lucrative business if done right.

I've thought about working part time in the fashion field, but opportunities to do things like that around here are not abundant. Most of the little retail jobs I could get are usually filled by teenagers. I would be too nervous to start out as a novice in that setting; I might end up working alongside my students!

I honestly lack prerequisite skills and, right now, would probably struggle to put together a decent portfolio. I would at least like to know where to start, though. I know most people aren't born knowing this stuff, so there should be a way to start for me to find out if this is something I really want to do. I'm quite fascinated.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:17 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,230,226 times
If you are interested in Fashion Design and already have a Bachelors Degree, the other option is an
Associate Degree in Fashion Design. Provided a link of requirements (just one out of hundreds).
You will definitely need drawing skills if you want to pursue fashion design and a great portfolio.
Now, if you are just interested in learning how to sew a garment from an idea you have
(still need some kind of drawing) then look into taking sewing classes.

Fashion Design Classes | (AAS) Program | Parsons | New York City

Old 04-27-2014, 03:21 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,608,853 times
The fabric stores in your town that sell sewing machines usually will have sewing classes as well. That would be a good way to learn some basic skills and terminology about design and construction.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
The fabric stores in your town that sell sewing machines usually will have sewing classes as well. That would be a good way to learn some basic skills and terminology about design and construction.
You were right! I found a sewing class at one of the stores, and I think I might enroll. It would be a good way to at least find out if I like the craft or not.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:10 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,831,280 times
The sewing class is a good idea. Another thought is a community college in your area.
You stated retail is filled with teenagers but often high end department stores such a Saks are employed by older people.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
You stated retail is filled with teenagers but often high end department stores such a Saks are employed by older people.
Yes, but there's nothing like that where I live.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:58 AM

686 posts, read 1,231,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
You were right! I found a sewing class at one of the stores, and I think I might enroll. It would be a good way to at least find out if I like the craft or not.
That would be a good start but its still a far far cry from actually designing or learning design.

How are your artistic/sketching skills? As you have seen on the design shows, you have to sketch your design first before making it. This is why if you really want to get into it, or find out if you like it, find some design classes near you. I have friends who are very very successful niche designers who have people from all over the world requesting their designs and some of the important things you MUST know are:

Sketching - being able to draw on paper (or tablet) the design. You need to know body shapes and how choice of fabric will flow.

Pattern making - after sketching your design, you need to know how to make the pattern to be able to cut the fabric appropriately.

Sewing - Not just sewing, but you need to know how to use the machine(s), threading, overlock, etc.

There are a lot of people who want to get into fashion design because they love fashion, but once they realize that it is actually ART and takes not only an artistic ability, but also learning certain techniques that are specific to the industry, they drop out and/or realize that fashion is not for them.

Based on the other threads you started about wanting to better yourself, learn calligraphy, etc. it just sounds like you are still seeking to find yourself. It may be a good idea to just start trying new things to find out what truly iterests you, or figure out what you have a natural talent for. If you are not gifted artistically (as in pen to paper) fashion may not be for you.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:25 AM

I admit that I would need to learn certain prerequisite skills, but, yes, I think I would like it a lot after mastering the necessary skills. I like the idea of drawing my own patterns and working with fabric to make my own original creations. I know I need to start, though, to find out if I really like it. Yes, I know that sewing can be a very tedious process, even if the pattern is provided for you. I think that once I get over that hurdle, though, I will feel confident. Drawing and mapping ideas for new pieces is simply a matter of mastering use of the right tools, from what I've seen.

Yes, there is a common thread in most of my posts. The skills I want to learn are skills that will either directly or indirectly help me as a teacher and creative professional. One of my mentor teachers went back and got an associate's in cosmetology so that she could better direct to alternative career options young men and women who may not necessarily feel they want to continue in a traditional school setting. It also provided the possibility of more career options for her. If nothing else, exploring fashion design would certainly be a way to relate to the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty