Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:33 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think fashionable gay men with nice legs could pull off the look of shorter shorts, but seriously straight men, even with nice legs, might risk attracting the wrong sort of attention...
Perceptions of what is 'gay' change over time, and will change in the future. There's nothing concrete about it. At one time, mustaches were the height of macho masculinity, and tight pants and shorts that showed off the 'family jewels' were considered more masculine than the looser ones. Nobody assumed a guy in tight pants was gay. That came about more in the past 20 years. It certainly will change again, as everything does.

By the same token, ankle socks used to be considered very feminine, and guys wore their socks really high to show their masculinity. Now, high socks are ridiculed and guys wear ankle socks without anyone casting aspersions on their sexual preferences. These things always change.

Last edited by dazzleman; 05-29-2010 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I think its funny that a man showing anything above the knee is scandalous when we've just now gotten rid of the low-rider look on men. I had to look at way too much crack and the threat of exposed short and curlies for too long to care about people seeing three inches above my knees. I doubt we'll go back to those 80's OP shorts that basically were boxers with an extra inch of fabric. But if I'm wearing shorts there is a reason and I'd prefer they clear my knees.
Good point. I think shorter shorts are a lot less offensive than those stupid pants that hang halfway down your ass.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
This is very true! I have pictures of my family and friends around the pool in the late 70's, early 80's and all the guys have these short little swimming trunks on!! The "athletic" runner type guys wore those shorts that looked like the girls Dolphin shorts!! I sure am glad I am a girl, and about the only thing I wore that can come back to haunt me was "big rock star hair"!!
In 20 years, people will look back at pictures of what we wear now and ridicule it. That's just the way it goes. Do you really think that what's in style now will always be fashionable?

Old 05-29-2010, 04:40 PM

784 posts, read 1,980,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Good point. I think shorter shorts are a lot less offensive than those stupid pants that hang halfway down your ass.
I agree. The shorter shorts actually look decent.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:02 AM

4 posts, read 4,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma77 View Post
what is wrong with ya'll!!!??? how do you not think short shorts aren't hot. I'd love to see my husband in these sexy things

I am just amused how he is wearing it? It looks really weird. But looks fine in the same time.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-30-2010 at 11:17 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Oh man, you are so right. You rock.
You got it bro, I know you get it !!!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:46 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Is it true that they are coming back in style. I heard that recently. Also, I never understood why it became very taboo for a man to wear them like the old style. I've seen this topic discussed on Yahoo Answers a few times. Respectful posts only, please.
You mean like old-school basketball players from the seventies? These guys were athletes, though. With bodies to match. That look won't fly as well on someone who doesn't workout. It's no different with women in shorts. If someone is exposinng lots of skin, it's better if they're fit. Otherwise, just cover up till it looks better.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:09 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,695 times
If you are a man over 6" and with disproportionately long legs, all shorts will be shorter shorts (but not short shorts).

I grew up in the days of shorter men's shorts and could never understand the below-knee lengths. (Just put on a pair of long pants!)

I was shopping yesterday for shorts and the trend towards shorter is definitely underway. I wear Bermuda/walking shorts because they are simpler, neater and more formal/dressier.

My lengths are typically 1 to 3 inches above the knee. As a frame of reference, my underwear (boxer shorts) and my running shorts sit at mid-thigh and are about 7 1/2 inches above my knee. Using the photo in post #29 as an additional reference, my shortest shorts would be about an inch or so longer than those if I was the model, so I appear to be in the safe zone as far as length is concerned.

As for women's thoughts about it, their attraction/revulsion probably comes down to how well formed the man's legs are. I am one of the lucky ones, and am also a sprinter, so women shamelessly stare at my legs and I have received numerous compliments.

There was also a comment about attracting the "wrong attention," presumably from other men, but since that is not my lifestyle such attention is meaningless. Nevertheless, a straight man does not want to look gay so he should be mindful of the signals he may be unwittingly sending out in his choice of apparel.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,201 times
Default sick of longs

I'm sick of the fact that there are no shorts anymore. There are only longs. If I wanted longs I would by knickers or capri pants, or just wear long pants. I don't see much difference between those and what the "fashion experts" are wearing now. I wear shorts when I want to be comfortable in hot weather, usually because I am exercising. Longs are just not comfortable. They are hot and restrictive. And they look really, really stupid. Even worse are the board-shorts for swimming. I mean how stupid is that? If I'm swimming I really don't want to be dragged down by a ton of cloth. I'd like to find some shorts that hit at mid-thigh, but they are almost impossible to find these days.

The bottom line for me is what is practical and comfortable. IMHO, anyone who buys cloths because they are influenced by what some clothing designer says is currently in fashion is an idiot. They are just trying to get you to buy a whole new wardrobe every year.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickoflongs View Post
I'm sick of the fact that there are no shorts anymore. There are only longs. If I wanted longs I would by knickers or capri pants, or just wear long pants. I don't see much difference between those and what the "fashion experts" are wearing now. I wear shorts when I want to be comfortable in hot weather, usually because I am exercising. Longs are just not comfortable. They are hot and restrictive. And they look really, really stupid. Even worse are the board-shorts for swimming. I mean how stupid is that? If I'm swimming I really don't want to be dragged down by a ton of cloth. I'd like to find some shorts that hit at mid-thigh, but they are almost impossible to find these days.

The bottom line for me is what is practical and comfortable. IMHO, anyone who buys cloths because they are influenced by what some clothing designer says is currently in fashion is an idiot. They are just trying to get you to buy a whole new wardrobe every year.
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty