U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2009, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Some place very cold
5,500 posts, read 20,373,048 times
Reputation: 4233

Advertisements

I wasn't sure I liked the floor-length summer dress until I saw some of these in Bill Cunningham's recent "The Street" photo essay. Now I gotta get me some!

On the Street | Premature Summer - The New York Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2009, 09:32 AM
 
494 posts, read 1,132,451 times
Reputation: 203
I have been seeing those quite a bit. Have not tried any on yet. I don't know how i feel about long dresses. will they look like a sack on me?
i may end up getting on if i find one that i fall in love with completely. not in a hurry yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,521 posts, read 26,840,034 times
Reputation: 88575
Not my style. I think they look a little frumpy, in most cases. Kind of like a granny night gown, lol. I like a longer light dress or skirt but my DH hates them. He can't stand legs to be covered up. He'd prefer me in "Daisy Dukes" all the time but I'm too old for those, lol.

But www if you like them you go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
746 posts, read 1,966,864 times
Reputation: 431
I love long summer dresses! Unfortunately, they usually make them too long for me so I only have a couple. I usually have better luck finding skirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Florida
6,262 posts, read 17,584,837 times
Reputation: 4707
absolutely! I've been a fan of this style for years. Put one on with a pair of sandals and you're good to go to most any function or to just hang out in your house.
I'm tall though, so the length is usually pretty perfect for me. I love,love my long summer dresses.
Try it--you'll love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I wasn't sure I liked the floor-length summer dress until I saw some of these in Bill Cunningham's recent "The Street" photo essay. Now I gotta get me some!

On the Street | Premature Summer - The New York Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Some place very cold
5,500 posts, read 20,373,048 times
Reputation: 4233
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
I love long summer dresses! Unfortunately, they usually make them too long for me so I only have a couple. I usually have better luck finding skirts.

Why not hem them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Some place very cold
5,500 posts, read 20,373,048 times
Reputation: 4233
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
absolutely! I've been a fan of this style for years. Put one on with a pair of sandals and you're good to go to most any function or to just hang out in your house.
I'm tall though, so the length is usually pretty perfect for me. I love,love my long summer dresses.
Try it--you'll love it!
I wasn't sure how I felt, but all the different styles in Bill's pictures finally sold me! I'm going out tonight, so maybe I'll wear a long polyester DKNY dress that I picked up at a thrift store. It's black with tiny yellow dots with a long waist and it hits the floor. I might be able to do something with it... not sure.. maybe wear it with a white or black T-shirt and a sweater. I'll see what I can come up with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 02:04 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,242 posts, read 19,485,702 times
Reputation: 25482
Oh I like those they are nice looking too especially like the black and white one on the african american lady . kuddos to this man for bringing these to our attention thanks so much to the original poster too . I simply like the thought of those . nice now I have to go look at some and hopefully get one .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Florida
6,262 posts, read 17,584,837 times
Reputation: 4707
sounds pretty. Can you post a pic?
I'm trying to envision it with a T-shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I wasn't sure how I felt, but all the different styles in Bill's pictures finally sold me! I'm going out tonight, so maybe I'll wear a long polyester DKNY dress that I picked up at a thrift store. It's black with tiny yellow dots with a long waist and it hits the floor. I might be able to do something with it... not sure.. maybe wear it with a white or black T-shirt and a sweater. I'll see what I can come up with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 02:29 PM
 
1,116 posts, read 2,647,383 times
Reputation: 1468
I really like them if they're well-fitted until the hips. They're very comfortable and breezy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top