Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:42 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
In the summer, I have no problem going to Payless for their BOGO
sandal sale, I go every summer, have a ton of sandals and wear them
until it gets cold. Now when it comes to a good shoe theres a huge difference
in a $20 shoe and $100 on up. My personal fav, NINE WEST. You can get good
quality without the price if you shop the right places.
While Nine West is definitely a big step up from payless their shoes are far from the best quality. For a $50 more or so you could be wearing Stuart Weitzman that feel like butter and will last forever. Ask any good cobbler and they'll tell you the same thing.

Last edited by shoegal111; 09-09-2009 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 02:55 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
I know, nine west aren't the best quality but love them.
I'll definately take your suggestion, sandal season is almost
over
Thanks for the recommendation shoegal !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
While Nine West is definitely a big step up from payless their shoes are far from the best quality. For a $50 more or so you could be wearing Stuart Weitzman that feel like butter and will last forever. As any good cobbler and they'll tell you the same thing.

Last edited by virgode; 09-09-2009 at 03:04 PM..

Old 09-09-2009, 03:25 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I know, nine west aren't the best quality but love them.
I'll definately take your suggestion, sandal season is almost
over
Thanks for the recommendation shoegal !!
You are welcome. Don't cry sandal season will come again and in the meantime I don't want anyone to end up like my mom. Her feet are in such bad shape from wearing poorly made shoes for too many years that somedays she can bearly walk.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:02 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
You are welcome. Don't cry sandal season will come again and in the meantime I don't want anyone to end up like my mom. Her feet are in such bad shape from wearing poorly made shoes for too many years that somedays she can bearly walk.
That alone is enough reason to stay away from cheap shoes, even
if you can't afford a closet full.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:25 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
People who buy "knockoff" of designer goods are only fooling themselves. People who can afford the real thing know the difference. I am a man and can spot a fake Louis Vuitton purse a mile away. The easliest way to spot a "poseur" is to look at the entire ensemble the person is wearing. If you are trying to get away with buying fake designer shoes and wearing cheap clothing, you will get busted by the fashion police.
Wrong, I have many Louis, Pradas, etc. I prefer the purses without the logos stamped all over it. I buy the Louis with a very small LV on the it, if only on the hardware along ep with my Pradas. Those are my everyday purses (since I was a little girl). I most certainly will wear a $1.00 t-shirt (found some really cute ones at the Dollar Store) with my Louis purse and shoes along with my $50.00-$100.00 jeans.

I mix a lot of what we call "expensive" with "cheap" all day, everyday.

A lot of days I like to look POOR so I am left the hell alone.

Plus who the hell can't buy a damn Louis, Chanel, Prada bag these days? A lot of Americans live on CREDIT. They may not be able to really afford it but they can put it on their damn credit card. They aren't buying Ferraris, mansions, jets....

Old 06-22-2014, 06:41 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Like they say at L'Oreal, 'I'm worth it.'

No cheap crap for me. I have ny first DB bag that I bought in 1984. A little mink oil and it's like new.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:48 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
$20 shoes?? Yeah.... I'm pretty sure I could tell. I've tried those payless shoes, and they are very cheap looking and feel terrible.
True. Pricier shoes are made out of better leather. The higher the price, often--the softer and more comfortable the leather. And they'll last longer. You can get them resoled, and they'll last years.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
$20 shoes?? Yeah.... I'm pretty sure I could tell. I've tried those payless shoes, and they are very cheap looking and feel terrible.
Payless is about the only place I can find shoes wide enough not to kill my feet.

I have to laugh at my daughter. She'll save her money to get just the right pair of shoes to go with a dress she's wearing to a dance and then the shoes get ditched as soon as the picture is taken because they kill her feet. She's actually learning now that she has a job and buys her own clothes. She came home the other day in a pair of shoes she paid $18 for. She said she liked them because they were comfortable.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
I'm finding this fascinating! I honestly don't think I could tell the difference with clothes or accessories, assuming the look is the same. I'd be a real patsy if I ever decided to spend $600 on shoes or $3,000 on a handbag (hah, like that's ever gonna happen ).
I can't tell the difference either and I don't get the point. If I can buy a good pair of shoes that will last me for years for $100 why would I spend $ 600 just because someone's name is on them? Ditto for hand bags. You can buy a really good purse for $100 that will last you a long time.

What I find interesting is the people I know who spend that kind of money on purses and shoes don't keep them for a long time. They feel a need to replace them with this season's version. So the argument that they're buying it because it lasts is bunk. The people I know who keep things like that for years are the ones who pick them up at the Salvation Army store after they've been donated because they're considered outdated.

IMO all this fashion stuff is just wasting money.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:12 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
Plus who the hell can't buy a damn Louis, Chanel, Prada bag these days? A lot of Americans live on CREDIT. They may not be able to really afford it but they can put it on their damn credit card. They aren't buying Ferraris, mansions, jets....
I don't live on credit. And I damn sure am not throwing my money away on a "damn Louis, Chanel, Prada bag".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty