Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:59 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Originally Posted by questioner2
If tattoos are so great, why does someone need to hide them? I do not understand. If they are so mainstream they should be on ones face and neck and showed off with pride!

If we substitute your premise directly into Questioner2's original quote it would read:

"If genitals are so great, why does someone need to hide them? I do not understand. If genitals are so mainstream they should be on ones face and neck and showed off with pride!"

I think this illustrates how ludicrous the debate is over tattoos. The choice and placement of a tattoo is a personal decision just like wearing lipstick or piercing one's ears for an ear-ring. When you make that decision you should do it because you want to, and expect to weather the societal disapproval that goes with it. Unfortunately this may include people that say they are your friends and family that feel your body is their business.

My personal decision includes two tattoos. I have a dragon on my forearm which was done by an accomplished artist. At work I wear french-cuff dress-shirts, not to hide it, but because it will distract others from my tasks. When I am off work, and weather permits wearing short-sleeved shirts, I intentionally use the tattoo to let others know I do not wish to be approached unless I invite them. My personality, my decision.

My second tattoo is high on my right bicep where no on can see it without my shirt off. It is a Golden retriever puppy. Four of my greatest companions in life have been Golden retrievers. This tattoo is only seen by people that I trust with the knowledge that I have a soft side. Life is better for me if strangers don't know this.

PS If you do decide to wear your genitals on your neck, do not have them tattooed. It will make your job interviews more interesting, but will sabotage your career at McDonalds. You can do fries, but they won't let you work the window!
"Kay, hes a Ballchinian!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 05:51 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
I hope there comes a day where it won't matter if you have a tattoo, when "conservative" places don't have a choice of words of someones personal appearance outside of a working attire(as it effing should be), when you people so vehemetly against them, or anything else birthed from wanting to be onself("fad," or not) are looked at as pure fools, for liking a factory appearance. My hair, skin, and body should not be held by constraints of anyone but myself. I'm not telling anyone to shut up with their opinions, tis not my place, much like it isn't mine to determin ones body, I can only assume most posters are over thirty, or are conservative, or what have you, by the post read, which is okay. I just find the convoluted mental ideals rather rude, but I'm not old, I like what I like, I can voice such without sounding like a street preacher, and apparently I must be a very small minority, I question posting here often, trying to stay as civil as I can when facing things like; tattoos, goatees, guages, chonglers, jeans, khakis, are for sub-human neaderthals. Everyone must conform, creased straightlegged suites, shirts tucked in, loafers, must be fasionably pure, black, grey suites, or you're a pimp, or gangster, jeans are only allowed if manual labor is being dome. Robots, everybody robots! Maybe everybody should just wear one outfit, some space aged unitard with a vee pattern, and matching shoes. All the men clean cut, and trim, the women; a nonjudgemental bun.

Sometimes people do what they like regardless of whatever fad. I don't consider tattoos a fad, nust because of a few shows about parlors have been on tv. Sometimes it just happens to be parrallel to those who are getting some generic tribal tattoo because some mma fighter has one. I don't know one person in my circle who has a tattoo they themselves, or a close friend didn't design. Sometimes there's a purpose behind a tattoo. Even if they are a fad, so what, anything popular becomes a fad, this site is popular, thus it must be a fad, driving is also a fad. A double edged sword is what it is. If I like something, it's apart of me, I'm not following a fad, I have guages, not following what must be a fad that has been around since the early 00's, I like them. I see something new, I like it, it is me. The fad, since guages have been around for a long time- for ears, the fad is those ugly giant lip guages. The only fad I tried of recent was riding fixed gear. I built one, I hated it. Why be so damn rude just because you don't agree with it, I don't like hipsters, but I don't go out of my way to demoralize them, explaining how PBR is pisswater, or how Arcane Fire sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty