Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:53 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times

Advertisements

What do you think of the type of skirt Bill talks about in this week's NY Times column? These are sassy skirts with pleats that fit snug on the hips and move about as your walk. I adore them!

On the Street | Swoosh! - The New York Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 01:33 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,371 times
not my style, but agreed, beautiful skirts and dresses. i see you post these things quite often. who is the photographer and where does he take pics. I know of the videos you posted were about tights, paris fashion. what about this one?

Old 05-16-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
not my style, but agreed, beautiful skirts and dresses. i see you post these things quite often. who is the photographer and where does he take pics. I know of the videos you posted were about tights, paris fashion. what about this one?

Bill Cunningham posts these for his "On the Street" photo essay in the the NY Times every weekend. He rides his bike through New York and takes pictures of the latest street fashion.

I find the photos very inspiring and they always give me good ideas. I do not have the budget for high end clothes. I can only afford secondhand clothes, but I have learned that I can do a lot with very little!

Old 05-16-2009, 02:56 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Love love them! I actually have a black skirt from the Gap with similar look to it. I really adore the black leather coats he had wow I am sure the price tag is a WOW. I love the way he gets so giggly as he talks about the skirts

Thanks for posting his piece I love it. I find it helps work the wordrobe even if we can't afford to buy high price stuff. Secondhand or TJ MAxx are wonderful places.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:58 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I can only afford secondhand clothes, but I have learned that I can do a lot with very little!
Hey now, that's the smartest way to buy! I only ever buy secondhand, and only a handful of my clothes are not designer/high end. Goodwills in ritzy areas are awesome.

As for the skirts, they're awesome. Sometimes they make me look a little too hippy, so I have to find ones that work with, not against my curves.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Hey now, that's the smartest way to buy! I only ever buy secondhand, and only a handful of my clothes are not designer/high end. Goodwills in ritzy areas are awesome.
I shop secondhand stores, but it is not easy work. I go several times a week and spend hours at the local thrift shops. I'm good at it, and I know what to look for.

Two days ago, I found an almost new white linen Banana Republic shirt. Last week I found a cashmere sweater from Barney's New York. It had several moth holes, a few pills, and a yellow spot on the sleeves. I sewed the holes, removed the pills, and gently hand washed it to get the stain out. Sometimes I will get pants or a skirt that I have to re-dye or hem myself. Today I found a red dress in a pretty pattern that appealed to me. I may have to take it in as well.

I don't have much money, but I take a lot of pride in my appearance. I always paint my nails and I love to put on a nice outfit when I choose. When I go out with a group, people often comment on how I look. Little do they know, the entire outfit only cost $10.

W.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:38 AM

Woof...
You are inspiring me. LOve your attitude. Keep these videos coming. Gives me ideas too. I can't afford high end clothes too, and I still wouldn't buy them full price even if I could. My biggest problem is needed to know what's in and what's not so I don't get something totally off base. These videos give ideas. When you posted the video about patterned tights went to marshalls and got a few givenchy patterned tights. loved them. thanks

Old 05-17-2009, 11:26 AM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
What do you think of the type of skirt Bill talks about in this week's NY Times column? These are sassy skirts with pleats that fit snug on the hips and move about as your walk. I adore them!

On the Street | Swoosh! - The New York Times
I have several of these. I love them!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
Woof...
You are inspiring me. LOve your attitude. Keep these videos coming. Gives me ideas too. I can't afford high end clothes too, and I still wouldn't buy them full price even if I could. My biggest problem is needed to know what's in and what's not so I don't get something totally off base. These videos give ideas. When you posted the video about patterned tights went to marshalls and got a few givenchy patterned tights. loved them. thanks
Hi Vlorak,

I never worry much about what is in or not in. I wear things that I like and that feel comfortable. My style is very classic. I wear a lot of linen in the summer because is is cool and comfortable, so when I go to thrift stores, I search for linen. The key in thrift store shopping is to search for value, so linen, cashmere, and stuff that if not overly used.

I also have a lot of cardigan sweaters, which I can throw over a blouse or T-shirt or dress to keep me warm and make the outfit more interesting. I am very big on scarves to the point where my neck feels naked without one. I buy lots of silk scarves for the summer and wool and cashmere for the winter. You can use scarves to pull out color in another part of your outfit.

Remember you can always wear black and white together -- not just white shirts and black pants, but different patterns of black and white. The other day I wore a pair of black pants that had a think white pinstripe (elastic waistband, Rayon material) running up and down with a crisp white linen shirt, a black cotton cardigan, and then a silk black and white Vera scarf with a sort of ink blot pattern -- simple colors, but the difference in the patterns made the outfit interesting and fun. Great outfit, but everything except the shoes and purse were thrifted.

When you buy scarves, always look for silk.

W.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:53 PM

Woof,
Thanks, I know I need scarves and have gone shopping for those a few times but never really know what to choose. so looking for silk per your recommendation now. i have a very fun style, but most of the time i end up wearing same thing as i seem to always be with kids in tow. planning a trip to see family this summer so for sure i want to 'dress' up and feel good. thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty