Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:18 PM

593 posts, read 2,440,004 times

Advertisements

Since Marriott is giving away one of those sweet bathrobes in this contest (link below), it got me thinking...

Why is it that hotel stuff like towels, pillows, bathrobes, etc. is always at least 20 times softer and fluffier than any towel I've seen at a regular retail store?? Is it just me, or do other people feel this way too?

The contest: (fyi - ends 5/19) Marriott Rewards Insider Network-For the Savvy Traveler (giveaway) | Life Starring Ellie and Eve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
I agree, I looked for nicer robes at a store and didnt find anything other than Hef style stuff.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
it's because they're used & washed A LOT!!!!

Or you don't travel enough. If you travel a lot, you'll think nothing compares to the stuff you have at home.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:24 PM

593 posts, read 2,440,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I agree, I looked for nicer robes at a store and didnt find anything other than Hef style stuff.
Haha, I've seen the same thing -- all "Hef style." I guess that the robe industry hasn't had any innovations since they added the pocket!

Just out of curiosity, oildog do you think you'll try to win that robe in the contest?

Old 05-18-2009, 03:36 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,414 times
Funny you should ask that, DC. I've been trying to find hotel-style pillows for a while now. Mine always end up feeling either too flat or too firm. The hotel ones (at least at the places where I've been staying for the past 2 years) have heft but are very comfy.

I purchased a new pillow to try about a month ago. I'm allergic to feathers and down so I've always bought foam pillows (but not those awful memory-foam ones, too hot). This new pillow is a down substitute and so far, it hasn't initiated any allergic reaction. Yay! It's very heavy but quite comfy. I've noticed now, though, that it's starting to flatten out .

Maybe I need to get a bunch of strangers to slobber on it . Maybe THAT'S the hotels' secret ingredient ! I try not to think about things like that.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
FWIW, you can buy hotel robes & sheets. They usually sell them at the hotel, but I would imagine you can buy them online as well. I know friends of mine love the sheets that are used on a cruiseline they take frequently, so they buy them from there.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:49 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Westin actually sells not only the linens they have, but also pillows and even a mattress! New of course, not used.

Here's a link, you can buy the who shebang or pieces, it shows exactly how they make their beds up!

Westin at Home

Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Funny you should mention ....I hate hotel pillows. If I am driving on vacation and staying in a hotel, I will always bring my own. I love my feather pillows. I find hotel pillows too.....poufy? I can't get them all squished just perfectly and I end up with a stiff neck.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:08 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Westin actually sells not only the linens they have, but also pillows and even a mattress! New of course, not used.

Here's a link, you can buy the who shebang or pieces, it shows exactly how they make their beds up!

Westin at Home
i've stayed at westin and i was not that impressed. i don't find anything at hotels that much greater and especially their mattresses. westin is hardly top of the line and their robes are alright.

to the op:

um, it is you. you can fnd thick towels at most high end department stores. all kinds of luxury pillows probably even better. as far as robes, it's hit and miss since it's not a very popular item so most places don't carry a great selection. those robes are not that special, they are just thick terry and have thier emblem on it, unless you are at the really high end hotels where it might be cashmere. you can definitely order it online.

high end hotels are trying to 'pamper' you as most are on vacation or business away from home. that's why they also fluff your pillow.

just like office furniture is designed different than furniture for your home. some people have purchased industrial grade products for their homes from appliances to flooring etc as they last a lot longer since they are designed for very high traffic and to hold up.

there is a lot of products that are not designed for everyday homeowners but how many people have luxurious triple showers with waterfalls etc? they also exist and can be purchased and installed.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:59 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I never understood why. I also wonder why when I go out to eat - the plain vanilla ice cream is always much better than even the premium brands in the supermarket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty