U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 PM

350 posts, read 3,689,125 times

Advertisements

I've always had more facial hair than the average woman, but in the last two years (I'm 30) I've had a real problem with chin/under the chin hair. It's to the point where it's pretty noticeable. Plucking doesn't work because there's too much of it. I tried waxing at the salon, but it only lasted 10 days before it was all grown back in completely. I am surprised by this sudden growth of facial hair in an area where I didn't have any. My moustache hair has always been light and hasn't gotten worse, but this chin/neck hair is getting pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,711,698 times
Well, I'm 53 and have not had that problem yet.

maybe it is genetic? Does your mom have the same problem?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 PM

14,806 posts, read 46,107,624 times
No one seems to believe me when I post this, but electrolosis is the only proven method for permanent hair removal, most towns have at least one electrologist. There are DIY kits available, they are slow though, probably you can remove about 1 hair a minute, and they take decent manual dexterity to do a good job without scarring.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,638,641 times
30??? Wait until you hit perimenepausal age; ummmm...starting 45 or so...get out the razors! (Or electrolysis like someone else posted.) I just wish bald heads and full beards would become "the" next fashion statement for women! Ahhhhhhh...natural beauty!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,980,447 times
Please consult with your GYN, its possible you need to have a hormone check. 30 is mighty early for that sort of thing I think. good luck to you..its no laughing matter!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 PM

37,223 posts, read 43,448,403 times
Are you familiar with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)? Facial hair growth, especially if it's increasing, can be a symptom. May be worth reading up on to see if you have any of the other symptoms. It's a fairly common, some stats cite up to one in ten women of childbearing age as having it.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:44 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,169,161 times
(I began perimenopause in my mid-thirties...)

Some new granny peach fuzz on my jawline...not thrilled about that. Age 42. I think.

When I start looking like the bearded lady, may have the afore mentioned electroisis...the other choice; lazer removal would be useless since this growth is the fairest, finest blond hair, would have to go back several times for a maybe...too much money. Have a few friends who went through said procedure. Requires maintenance. Neither option is 100% because the hair can and will grow back from other untreated follicles. (Yippee)

Waxing causes a break-out (super sensitive skin) on my lip, so I bleach.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 AM

5,500 posts, read 20,367,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I've always had more facial hair than the average woman, but in the last two years (I'm 30) I've had a real problem with chin/under the chin hair. It's to the point where it's pretty noticeable. Plucking doesn't work because there's too much of it. I tried waxing at the salon, but it only lasted 10 days before it was all grown back in completely. I am surprised by this sudden growth of facial hair in an area where I didn't have any. My moustache hair has always been light and hasn't gotten worse, but this chin/neck hair is getting pretty bad.
No worries. Just go and get electrolosis.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:58 AM

12,341 posts, read 17,223,877 times
Uh, 16? I'm now 21 have have to spend a good half hour tweezing my chin every day. The sides of my chin are the worst but it now goes down underneath and up along my jawline. That's not even counting the "peach fuzz"- just the very thick hairs that grow in.

My doctor doesn't seem to take my concerns about it seriously.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:51 PM

6,043 posts, read 13,358,641 times
Ask your doctor about hirsutism - Hirsutism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I took 100 mgs of spironolactone per day to get an acne problem taken care of a few years ago, and when researching that drug I learned that it also is used for hirsutism... anyway... talk to your doctor. It sounds like it could totally be something hormonal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty