Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 09:48 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
What is the purpose of wearing designer clothing? Quick frankly, I prefer the styles in Wal-Mart over Old Navy and GAP (plain clothes with no writing on them). However, are designer clothes somehow more comfortable and last longer? Or is it just to follow fashion and give the impression of high status?
Probably one purpose is people will spend more money for labels to feel superior over someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 10:57 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Fabric quality and workmanship
Yes; in theory, designer clothes have better tailoring, fit better, and have better-quality fabric, so they last longer, but that's no longer true across the board. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned "clothes with lettering" (the designer's initials, or whatever) all over them. That only represents a fraction of the designer clothing market.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
The original OP seemed to think that branded clothing is “designer” clothing. Designer clothing is expensive, and used to be found in department store bridge lines on up, to actual high fashion designer brands.

I saw some moderately priced designer clothing at Dillards. I bought a Calvin Klein shirt. I looked at Eileen Fisher things, which I cannot afford. But these are clothes at the bottom of what I would consider designer labels.

You buy what you can afford, or what you are comfortable spending. It is a free country. But what you like and can afford.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:14 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Probably one purpose is people will spend more money for labels to feel superior over someone else.
I can't remember the last time I read or heard any hints of superiority from people that buy more expensive clothes.

Unlike the ones that shout from the rooftops about how they go to thrift stores and how secure they are in themselves not to care about such frivolous things like looking good.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:49 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,120 times
Well, the OP, which is super old, seems to be referring more to branded clothing (clothing with obvious branding) than actual designer clothing. Gap and Old Navy are NOT designer clothing, but that company does like to put it's name in obvious places, which is not my style. I buy Gap for my kids sometimes because it's better quality than a Walmart (though not amazing) at a decent price (it's almost always on sale). I don't buy it for myself much, as it's not my style. I don't buy Old Navy because the quality is crap. My boys can't wear something from there more than once or twice...not worth it.

Designer clothes...what I think of is

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/c/desig...31_cat31050731

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/c/desig...source=leftNav

etc. Things that aren't accessible to most. And I don't feel the appeal. I am in the financial range that could buy occasionally and I just...don't. But at the same time, I don't feel anything negative about people who are...people who enjoy fashion more than I do. I like nice things...a nice buttery leather, a great cashmere, silk, etc. in more updated classic styles and I don't need high end designers to get that. But I can't get it at Walmart either. So the appeal to me to have nicer things is...the way it feels, the way it lays on the body, the confidence I have when I look put together.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:13 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
What is the purpose of wearing designer clothing? Quick frankly, I prefer the styles in Wal-Mart over Old Navy and GAP (plain clothes with no writing on them). However, are designer clothes somehow more comfortable and last longer? Or is it just to follow fashion and give the impression of high status?
The purpose of designer clothing is to make money for the makers.

However, it's not either/or. Designer clothes are theoretically far better made than what you'd find at Walmart. They'll hang better, look better, and last longer. But there are tons of non-designer clothes that are better made, too, including house brands at good department stores. Lord & Taylor, for instance, has very good house brands.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:35 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:

Usually there is not “writing on” designer clothes...........

Better fabrics....better fitting & comfort.....better & more unique styles.......& they last a lot longer......

Clothes from cheaper stores can fall apart fast & fabrics don’t hold their shape or color after a couple of washings.......

With sales & moderately priced designer brands....it’s worth it IMO......

Old 11-19-2019, 10:05 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
The fanciest label I’ve ever bought is Eileen Fisher. If you browse the sale racks with regularity, you can find affordable items. The thing is, the items never go out of style, and they are figure friendly. I have Eileen Fisher knits that are 20+ years old and I have been 30# heavier. Through it all, the items have fit comfortably.

I would never buy a designer item with a logo. I think they should be paying me for the advertising.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:53 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
yes my daughter let me know that designer labels are no longer putting out quality items like they used too and not worth the price anymore wow .

Old 11-19-2019, 11:03 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yes my daughter let me know that designer labels are no longer putting out quality items like they used too and not worth the price anymore wow .

Know what you are buying tho.......some designer brands will sneak in a line of lower quality....but more affordable. I notice this all the time on designer handbags or clothes at designer factory outlets......you are not always getting the same quality product that’s in the store for full price.

You have to look at how it’s made......& read fabric labels......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty