U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 03:04 AM

7,208 posts, read 7,612,501 times

Advertisements

You've heard the phrase: "the business of America is advertising?"

Quote:
1. to make a few people rich; and,
2. to make a few more people appear rich who care about such things.
I can't rep this enough. It's a completely unnecessary business. But given that it keeps more people than some might think employed -- and gives people a superficial (IMO) and -- for the most part harmless -- way to feel good about themselves.....it is what it is.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:17 AM

5,406 posts, read 8,187,290 times
I usually go for mid-range except for basics like underwear, socks, and some T-shirts which I usually just buy at Walmart or Target. I can't really afford designer brands, but am not willing to go with something super cheap for my everyday clothes.

Old Today, 10:58 AM

12,712 posts, read 7,278,491 times
though more expensive up front, a few well made, classic, designer pieces last for years and don't go out of style which makes them less expensive to wear in the long run than trendy, cheap clothing. Of course, if one's personal style is fashion trendy, there is no reason to pay big $$ for designer clothes that will be out of style the next year.

Old Today, 11:11 AM

80,236 posts, read 73,240,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
What is the purpose of wearing designer clothing? Quick frankly, I prefer the styles in Wal-Mart over Old Navy and GAP (plain clothes with no writing on them). However, are designer clothes somehow more comfortable and last longer? Or is it just to follow fashion and give the impression of high status?
I went into a Wal-Mart once. (Just once.) What impressed me about the clothing brands, was that some of them were yesteryear's "designer" or higher-end labels. I was surprised that they were still around, as I hadn't heard of them since I was a kid. They're actually decent brands, compared to what Sears used to carry.

Old Today, 11:44 AM

2,234 posts, read 505,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
though more expensive up front, a few well made, classic, designer pieces last for years and don't go out of style which makes them less expensive to wear in the long run than trendy, cheap clothing. Of course, if one's personal style is fashion trendy, there is no reason to pay big $$ for designer clothes that will be out of style the next year.

Ita....& there are some classic type pieces that never go out of style..... some of the moderately priced clothes are better made tho...last longer....& the fabrics don’t fade or pull with washings....so that’s what makes it worth it to not go “cheap”...just less expensive...for trendy.

I accessorize with trendy & more reasonably priced pieces & jewelry.....around classic designer pieces that stay in my closet longer.....

Some pieces you can be more classic easily...like coats. Jeans have to be more trendy IMO......in order to be fashionable....

Old Today, 02:49 PM

27,355 posts, read 30,343,781 times
Today I am wearing an H&M white based greyscale leopard T-shirt shirt dress I got 5+ years ago. It is literally one of my favorite items. I can wear it yearound changing up the shoes. It is a classic. I wear it when I am doing errands and feeling lazy with sneakers. To a dress up occasion with nicer shoes and maybe a belt.

Some days it gets a bomber jacket. Others it is a cardigan or hoodie. Another time it gets a moto jacket. They all work. When I got it I wore long drapey cardigans that have since been retired.

It has a little barely noticeable piling. It has survived weight swings. Honestly I’d love a similar higher quality one.

Today I am totally on trend with animal print and leather sneakers.

I like the idea of “better, fewer, things.” But some of my cheaper things have held up a little too well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty