U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 02:24 PM

844 posts, read 1,835,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
disposable clothing.
The horror Sorry if I come across as preachy but I think that is a terrible thing. Very wasteful.

Many of my clothes are from Goodwill, lasted many seasons, and I was able to re-donate them A good "cut" with good materials & timeless style... these are noble causes
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:33 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,236,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Old Navy, GAP, WalMart, Target, and other cheap clothing lines are only intended to last ONE SEASON. At that price point they are considered disposable clothing.
I have a few things from Target that have lasted several years. However I have a lot of clothes and rotate them, so I don't wear anything to death in just one season
I agree that the thread is not as good and they fall apart faster than better quality clothes.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:42 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,289,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
What is the purpose of wearing designer clothing? Quick frankly, I prefer the styles in Wal-Mart over Old Navy and GAP (plain clothes with no writing on them). However, are designer clothes somehow more comfortable and last longer? Or is it just to follow fashion and give the impression of high status?
It depends what designer and what you are buying. If you need a white T-shirt, better to buy one at Gap or JCrew for $15-22 than to buy Three Dot for $50-75.

A lot of designer clothes are made better but you have to look at each item individually to find the best value. Also, some designer brands have a better look to them. I mix things up, buy what I can afford, and develop my own style. I also buy a lot of clothes second hand, which saves me a lot of money.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:45 PM

844 posts, read 1,835,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I have a few things from Target that have lasted several years.
Me, too! I actually had a Mossimo t-shirt that lasted 5 years (and never went out of style).

Old 06-16-2009, 02:52 PM

730 posts, read 2,631,810 times
"Better" Brands just use "better" things, such as fabrics, trims, buttons, zippers, better production facilities. Even down to the hang tags and labels in the garments, those cost more because they are of better quality.

You can have silk that cost $8 per yard or $80 per yard.

I work in clothing manufacturing. Another thing that raises prices is how the garments are cut, how much waste you have with the fabrics you are using. Certain details like pleating, button holes, collars, cuffs, etc., all add cost to a garment.

If you take an expensive mans shirt and compare it to one from Walmart, it will be very obvious to even an untrained eye which one is the more expensive garment. Could you tell by seeing someone walk down the street? Probably not. But when YOU are the one wearing it, the difference is clear.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:48 AM

24,322 posts, read 33,567,836 times
I do not buy couture because it is too expensive to me to justify it, plus most of it is out of my budget anyway.

I do buy some work clothing at places like Ann Taylor because their clothing is well-made and has a flattering cut for my figure, and I buy some things at Nordstrom because they cost the same wherever you buy them but the level of service at Nordstrom is outstanding. But most of my casual clothing comes from Old Navy, The Gap, Target, etc.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,540,271 times
Quote:
Or is it just to follow fashion and give the impression of high status?
Personally, I think this is what it is, for the most part, but that's just my opinion. You can go to Forever 21, H&M, and any other 'mall' type of store, and get the same clothes for cheaper, and still look GOOD if not even better. Its all in the way YOU carry yourself in your clothes.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:23 AM

4,116 posts, read 2,821,318 times
Quote:
What is the purpose of wearing designer clothing? Quick frankly, I prefer the styles in Wal-Mart over Old Navy and GAP (plain clothes with no writing on them). However, are designer clothes somehow more comfortable and last longer? Or is it just to follow fashion and give the impression of high status?

People who wear designer clothes usually feel that they are made of better material and last longer then the cheaper brands or no name brands so to speak.

Some also feel they are more comfortable and softer on the skin and when you wash them that the color doesn't bleed out as much.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:28 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,822,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Personally, I think this is what it is, for the most part, but that's just my opinion. You can go to Forever 21, H&M, and any other 'mall' type of store, and get the same clothes for cheaper, and still look GOOD if not even better. Its all in the way YOU carry yourself in your clothes.
Absolutely not. H&M and Forever 21 clothing has literally fallen apart on me. Very poorly constructed. I'd rather buy 1 well made dress that will last me years than 10 cheap ones that fit poorly and will fall apart.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,540,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Absolutely not. H&M and Forever 21 clothing has literally fallen apart on me. Very poorly constructed. I'd rather buy 1 well made dress that will last me years than 10 cheap ones that fit poorly and will fall apart.
Well, that's YOU.

Sorry you have had bad experiences with these stores. "I" on the other hand, have not, and will continue to purchase from them and continue to look good in them as well...

Most females, I know, who are so ADAMENT, about wearing designer clothes, are dressing for other FEMALES anyway.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty