Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:58 PM

412 posts, read 545,768 times

Advertisements

Multiple reasons for some people:
-better quality
-longer lasting
-status symbol
-good style

I think people that don't "get" designer clothing think that it's mainly the 3rd thing, but some designers just make quality stuff and that is more important to me, especially if I like the style. And it is not always about the status because most of the time I am looking for something that doesn't have the logo plastered everywhere. My feeling is that if you like it and can rock it and afford it, do whatever you want. Doesn't matter if it's a shirt from Wal-Mart or a dress from Versace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
I think buying designer clothes just for the status is the silliest thing. I am all for beautiful design, quality fabrics, etc., but just buying clothes for the name to show everyone you can afford it is kind of sad. When I look at a beautiful piece of clothing, I don't look at the label, but I do look at the price and if it is worth it, usually not, especially these days. Overpriced ugly clothes, horrid prints. I would spend a little more for clothes with quality fabrics and skillfully made details, but I won't spend the extra bucks for the designer label. Always spend more for classic clothes and go cheap on trendy stuff.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,677 times
Designer clothes are really good looking and enhance overall personality of a person. Yeah sometimes they are quite expensive for daily routine or for students.. Sometimes they are not expensive, they quite compromise on the quality of that particular fabric or some else.. I like expensive clothes with high quality and i used to buy these stuff once in a week for sure.. I have a huge collection of these kinds of clothes like expensive ones. Most of the times they are very good and high in quality and tends to last longer , so no need to worry about that.. So in my opinion you can go for it...

Old 05-04-2015, 07:38 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
I use to shop designer a lot and even then not high end, but now being more frugal and understanding you can find nice quality looking clothes without a big designer price tag I shop mostly at target(clearance and sales are great) kohls also and a few others. I have tried shopping for walmart clothing and I have found a few items but overall think quality is less and lasts shorter time frame to me. Plus I don't normally care for the styles there and the sizes never fit me well. I don't buy clothing as often as before and many items I have are from years ago but basic styles that I wear a lot.

I guess some do it for the name factor, some maybe really are better quality though I don't really think so, some just like spending the money I guess. Designer top for $50 plus? No way, never have and never will!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:07 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
What is the purpose of wearing designer clothing? Quick frankly, I prefer the styles in Wal-Mart over Old Navy and GAP (plain clothes with no writing on them). However, are designer clothes somehow more comfortable and last longer? Or is it just to follow fashion and give the impression of high status?

They are cut to fit better. Who wants to walk around wearing a shirt that looks like it was tailored for a paper doll?

Old 11-14-2019, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 1,978 times
Many do buy designer clothes for the sake of status and impression. In my opinion, that's quite sad. But it's also important to note that designer clothes are different. You can now find lots of brands that are 'affordable luxury' and I myself prefer buying from those. I'd rather spend a little more and buy less frequent than buy a shirt over and over cause quality sucks.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:09 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Fabric quality and workmanship

Old 11-17-2019, 01:42 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
What is the purpose of wearing designer clothing? Quick frankly, I prefer the styles in Wal-Mart over Old Navy and GAP (plain clothes with no writing on them). However, are designer clothes somehow more comfortable and last longer? Or is it just to follow fashion and give the impression of high status?
Sometimes I guess because it's a snob thing, sometimes because it's fun, sometimes because the cut and quality of the fabric/workmanship really makes a difference and yes last longer. I generally don't buy designer, but hey if I see it in a resale store and it looks good and fits with my general style I am not going to turn my nose up at it simply because of what others "might" presume or think. I did buy a designer top 20 years ago, that has finally started to be threadworn, it was a classic style with a beautiful brass zipper down the back. I can certainly find styles in wal mart that work but they never last longer than a year or two (if lucky) without pilling or falling apart or getting threadbare . It's all a matter of priorities and needs, and styles that work for you. I am no clothes snob, if I like it, I buy it designer or not.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:07 AM

80 posts, read 33,032 times
If the article of clothing/accessory comes with big logos or familiar marks (like the web stripe for Gucci), I assume it's for status symbol. Sometimes they're about quality, but I've read somewhere that that's no longer a guarantee with designer clothing these days...

Old 11-18-2019, 08:30 AM

922 posts, read 791,884 times
I am by no means a fashion expert, in fact far from it. But IMO some of this designer stuff is hideous. Chanel suits are not attractive at all, and most of the stuff Mary-Kate and Ashley sell is downright ugly.

But what really stuns me are things like Hermes bags. $250,000 for a designer purse? I mean, come on, it's just a purse. I've seen better looking handbags at Walmart. Granted, they probably don't last as long, but so what? You could buy a new one every month for what some of these designer bags cost.

I guess I just don't get it. If something that costs $10 fits me and I feel good wearing it, I'll buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty