Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
What is the purpose of these luxurious fabrics? Do they feel more comfortable or is it just for appearance?
Depending on the fabric, often more expensive fabrics will feel better. If it's just cotton or something plain, I don't usually notice. However if I want a nicer fabric like wool/merino or cashmere I will NOT buy the cheapo ones. The more expensive ones will feel nicer and wear better over time.

Also if it's something crocheted like a sweater or something with delicate fabric like lace or beading I will always pay more because the cheap ones don't hold up. I just don't like the waste, time, and expense of buying cheap stuff unless it's basic t-shirts or something trendy that will be out of style next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 04:01 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I can't wear 'designer' clothing because of my height/chest size. I have noticed when shopping with a friend of mine (she works at walmart and has a complex about 'people knowing I work a walmart') that designer clothes aren't as 'generic' and are just fitted better. Of course, she's 5'8 and weighs 125 lbs so she can walk into a store and just about everything will fit her.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:08 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Good question, I dont buy them. My brand of clothes need to have an affordable price tag on them, regardless of who makes it. I will admit, recently I picked up a pair of really good quality jeans from Kohls for 90% off....only paid 4 bucks for them!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:09 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
What is the purpose of wearing designer clothing? Quick frankly, I prefer the styles in Wal-Mart over Old Navy and GAP (plain clothes with no writing on them). However, are designer clothes somehow more comfortable and last longer? Or is it just to follow fashion and give the impression of high status?
Quote:
What is the purpose of these luxurious fabrics? Do they feel more comfortable or is it just for appearance?
I frequently buy casual clothing from those stores you mentioned (not WalMart - their stuff is just unappealing to me - but definitely at Target). But I have also purchased an occasional pricey item from a "designer" collection. For me, it is all about fit and fabric. I am a fabric freak...if it doesn't feel good to my touch, I won't wear it. Same reason I am picky about the sheets I sleep on. So yes, for me, it's part of the comfort factor.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I think quality is hit and miss, on mass-produced, non-designer clothing. I have crap from Old Navy that's had seams unravel nearly immediately, but I've also had basics from Target, WalMart, Old Navy that have held up and looked new for YEARS. Some things are well-constructed, some aren't, but cost and label doesn't necessarily guarantee much.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:42 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I bought a Ralph Lauren polo shirt at a rummage sale. The fabric is softer and much nicer than cheaper brand polo shirts. I got two Chanel wool coats on eBay and again, the fabric is really yummy and the cut of the coats nicer than the rest of my coats hanging in my closet. While I would never buy these items new and at full retail price, they are clothing items that I feel I could wear on dressy occasions for many years, if not decades. If I take good care of them, I can also sell them for close to what I paid for them.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:20 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I bought a Ralph Lauren polo shirt at a rummage sale. The fabric is softer and much nicer than cheaper brand polo shirts. I got two Chanel wool coats on eBay and again, the fabric is really yummy and the cut of the coats nicer than the rest of my coats hanging in my closet. While I would never buy these items new and at full retail price, they are clothing items that I feel I could wear on dressy occasions for many years, if not decades. If I take good care of them, I can also sell them for close to what I paid for them.
I'd like to see those Chanel wool coats!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:21 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,734,914 times
Higher-end clothes tend to have a better "cut," be made of higher quality fabric, and be constructed with better care. Therefore, they feel nicer, fit better, and if maintained properly, they last much longer than the cheap stuff. Spend more money on high quality basics and everyday clothing staples, don't splurge on trendy fads (include them if you want, just don't make them a financial priority), and both your wardrobe and your wallet will thank you.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:08 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
The biggest problem with cheaper clothes (like H&M and Zara) is not the fit or the fabric but the production quality (ex. stitching).

Most of the affordable designer wear (Polo Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, A|X, and so on) are made in Asia, often by the same companies that make cheaper clothes. The quality is better but not 4-5 times better than cheaper clothes.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:36 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
The cut on many designer brands is much better, and the construction much sturdier. Certain designer brands simply fit me better.

I do not buy anything with logos on it, so it's not a matter of "showing off" or trying to "appear rich" as people like to say, it's simply a matter of the clothes looking better on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty