U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,100,148 times

Advertisements

What is the purpose of wearing designer clothing? Quick frankly, I prefer the styles in Wal-Mart over Old Navy and GAP (plain clothes with no writing on them). However, are designer clothes somehow more comfortable and last longer? Or is it just to follow fashion and give the impression of high status?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 PM

1,853 posts, read 3,811,049 times
Some designer clothes are made better. If not better, then with better materials, more luxurious fabrics. Also clothes sold in Walmart/Old Navy are made in huge numbers for all the stores while more expensive clothing are sold at higher end boutiques so less of them are made.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:53 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,100,148 times
What is the purpose of these luxurious fabrics? Do they feel more comfortable or is it just for appearance?

Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 AM

3,469 posts, read 7,236,463 times
Define "designer". There are many levels....I'll describe them roughly.

First there's higher end, mainstream "name brands" which you find in most any department store, or chain boutiques which carry (relatively) pricey clothing (ie. Anthropologie). Some of these are designer lines made for the masses (ie. DKNY). Generally, these are not considered designer clothes at all, but they do cost more than Wal-Mart, which is considered "discount clothing" . Between this level and discount is the name brands for the masses (ie. the Gap). The quality is above discount, but not as good as higher end name brands.

The advantage to higher end name brands can be: higher quality material and thread, styles knocked off from recent runway trends, better cut/fit, and more attention to detail. The higher quality feels better, looks better, fits better, and lasts longer. Sometimes, a name is just a name though. There's a lot of range in that section, and some of it crosses over into the next section...

Next, you have pretty well-known designer labels that can be found in nicer department stores (ie. Nordstrom, Bloomingdales), such as Chanel, Marc Jacobs etc. These are made in large quantity, although not aimed at the average person. This is "affordable luxury". These have similar advantages as the above clothes with the added appeal of a more well-known designer label . Also, a lot of it sold in department stores are actually pretty simple, classic items that will last you many years (not super trendy).

Then, there's the couture sold in boutiques, aimed at the wealthy minority. They will sometimes carry lesser known, up-&-coming designers that you wouldn't find in a department store, or more fashion-forward styles by well known designers. These are "luxury" clothes. At this point you are paying for design and uniqueness of the item, much more so than just the material.

Then there's haute couture, much of which is art and not even made to be worn IRL, unless you're a celebrity and/or want to make a statement & have lots of money. Haute couture is often one of a kind and custom fitted.

The higher up the level you go, you also get more exclusivity, meaning you don't have to worry about running into someone wearing the same thing.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,153,874 times
While my wardrobe nowadays is more on the mode$t side, the appeal of a 'designer' or boutique acquisition is not about the name or even luxury...it's something unusual in style I haven't found at a more mainstream level. (I like Citron of Santa Monica for the odd, limited fabric prints, which are harder to come by than the typical Asian motifs...that sort of thing. I'm scouring eBay for deals as I write this.)

Old 06-12-2009, 08:39 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,216,400 times
My wife works for a designer (MaxMara) in Northern Virginia. The owners are in Italy and ship very few pieces to their few stores. She explained to me that what you are paying for with "designer" clothing is how the garmet is cut and the quality of the fabric. At a chain store, the clothing is not tailored to fit the same. Also, they may only get three or four pieces of a particular outfit so by being unique that adds value. It is common for dresses to be $3000+ and winter coats to cost $15K+. She was told by the owners "We don't care if you don't sell a single thing". The reason the stores exist is to advertise the brand and keeping up the image is "job one".

Old 06-12-2009, 08:47 AM

14,137 posts, read 19,294,893 times
The only difference I find is that the designer clothes may last wash after wash as opposed to the wal mart brand . I have purchased clothes out of the mall that fell apart after a certain amount of time laundering them . But this is just from my expierience .

Old 06-12-2009, 08:52 AM

887 posts, read 2,688,341 times
1. May look better
2. Be more comfortable/better fabric

Brooks Brothers/Zegna Shirt > Old Navy Shirt

Old 06-12-2009, 09:58 AM

914 posts, read 4,009,247 times
Personally, I have found that slightly more expensive clothing (like Gap, say as opposed to Target) tends to last longer. Additionally, things like work slacks tend to be made a little better (i.e. lined, more professional cut, higher quality fabric, etc).

Also, I would rather pay more for something that I will wear all the time, than less for something that won't last as long or doesn't fit as well. For instance, I spent $60 once for this long-sleeved pullover from a store called Lucy. I thought it was expensive, BUT I loved it, so I bought it anyway. That was three years ago. In the last three years, I have worn it constantly. If you took every item in my wardrobe, and divided the price I paid for it by how many times I've worn it, when you compare price per wearing, this $60 knit is probably the biggest bargain of anything I own.

Not that I am keen on paying $30 for a T-shirt. Prices at places like The Gap can still be outrageous. So generally I only shop sales, unless I find something I absolutely cannot live without.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:20 PM

6,043 posts, read 13,298,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
What is the purpose of wearing designer clothing?
1. to make a few people rich; and,
2. to make a few more people appear rich who care about such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty