U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,371,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
When I was young and single I loved clothes. Now....all I can think about is - will I be able to cover college tuition/car insurance/sports camp/retirement savings?
When I'm broke, I shop Salvation Army and still go several times a week. It's a sickness for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 07:04 PM

22,141 posts, read 23,726,892 times
"Hi, my name is "Woof, Woof, Woof" and I am a shopaholic" LOL

Old 06-15-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
"Hi, my name is "Woof, Woof, Woof" and I am a shopaholic" LOL
It's true, and things have gotten out of hand since mom came to town.

Some time ago I read an article that said men spend a lot of time daydreaming about sex, whereas women spend the same amount of time daydreaming about shopping. LOL!

What's funny is that men imagine we are thinking about them! Really, we are not. We are thinking about our next trip to the mall. At least I am anyway...

Old 06-15-2009, 07:15 PM

733 posts, read 1,743,802 times
well my mother is not anywhere near me, but if she were we'd probably have a great time and more likely than not,she'd have paid for it! Not that I need her too, but she likes to do that sort of thing...lol

I always have a great time with my mother shopping. When I was in my teens it was a blast! We bought out the Joseph Magnin (any one remember them?) when they announced they were closing. (loved that place )

As an adult, I don't get to see her or my father much, they are across the country, but when we get together, I'm sure she'd be much the same. Now a days I try to buy her stuff, but she balks at me because she knows she has way more $$ than I do! lol

anyway, we have fun.....

Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 PM
miu

17,366 posts, read 35,303,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
My mother is an artist. She has outstanding taste and has worked retail for years. I don't eat while I'm shopping due to the adrenaline rush.
My mom has artistic leanings. She did all the artwork for my dad's furniture store ads. She writes Chinese calligraphy beautifully. She takes great photographs and has a good sense of composition. My mom has a great eye for style clothing wise and knows what looks good on different body styles but she's never gotten the shopping bug, she doesn't know the designer labels. I suppose that my step dad is very appreciative of her not being a shopaholic or being a materially acquisitive person. The only jewelry she has is her engagement and wedding rings, but they are gorgeous antique Tiffany pieces once owned by his grandmother.

In my twenties, I had a few fun shopping excursions in NYC with my middle sister. We'd go to fun shops like Fiorucci's.

When I was in college, my mother would often say that I had champagne tastes and a beer budget. I had a thing for vintage clothing back then and would perpetually have purchases on layaway at my favorite vintage clothing store, Roxy Deluxe.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 PM

37,223 posts, read 43,464,057 times
My mom and I share a mutual hatred of shopping. We are one another's best shopping partners, because we're only doing it because we have to be for whatever reason, and are each on a mission to get in and out as quickly as possible, no dawdling, fussing, browsing. She's my fellow Mission Shopper. I miss things like that, being far away from her, now.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
When I was in college, my mother would often say that I had champagne tastes and a beer budget. I had a thing for vintage clothing back then and would perpetually have purchases on layaway at my favorite vintage clothing store, Roxy Deluxe.
Well, I honestly don't know what it is with me and clothes. I have this ongoing fantasy about having lots of clothes and the right outfit for every occasion. If I was rich, I would be dangerous.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:33 PM
miu

17,366 posts, read 35,303,650 times
I've always wanted to have a walk-in closet...

Old 06-15-2009, 08:44 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,248,785 times
I love shopping with my mom. She always buys me lunch and a bunch of cute things. I try to do the same thing when I go shopping with my daughter so she'll remember our shopping time fondly.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:22 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,456,033 times
My mom and I love to shop together- clothes, house stuff, garden/plant, even groceries! I totally trust her judgement and we have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty