Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:45 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

I don't buy a lot on impulse, but still wind up with a lot of things that I just don't wear. One of my favorite fantasies is that, every year or so, I'd like to give back some stuff and get the money back I spent for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 02:56 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Got "tricked" into buying a pretty useless $470 jacket some years ago. It didn't even fit properly but the sales clerk was very persuasive. No return because it was on sale. That was a completely waste of money. Think I gave it away to the Salvation Army, or something.
Was this before eBay? Nowadays you can usually get decent money for coats there. Pushy salespeople make me mad

Old 06-18-2009, 07:18 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
I see a connection between the special mirrors and the imaginary life. Add to that the music they play that you don't really notice, and there I go..."Well, they were playing "Born to be Wild" and I was shopping for something to wear to a PTA meeting and next thing you know..."

Oh yes! There's definitely some fancy marketing going on that forces you to employ superpowers of mental strength to avoid it!

It's subliminal selling at its best. Resistance is futile!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:39 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Oh the worst mistake I ever made (there have been many) but the WORST was I purchased not one but two polka-dotted suits.
This makes me think about my worst fashion choice, which might have been my prom dress in 1989. Bought it at Lillie Ruben. It was strapless, knee-length shirred chiffon...black and white polka-dots. The fabric on top was white with black polka-dots (small dots about the size of the hole in 3-hole notepaper). Then the fabric on the bottom of the dress was the opposite -- black with white polka-dots. Around the middle was this HUGE ruffle of the chiffon material, with both fabrics/colors intermingled.

Okay, the problems: 1) I have big breasts and I needed more support than the dress was able to provide; 2) the ruffle around the middle was more around my hips, but I'm short-waisted, so it was even lower than it should have been; 3) and the length was all wrong for me and fell about 2 inches below my knee and it didn't occur to my mother or me to hem it. I shudder to think of it now.

Oh, well. My date made me feel beautiful and we had a blast.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 PM

191 posts, read 560,082 times
Default Why can

Right now, I'm beating myself up for buying something stupid last week that I can't return.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:13 PM

191 posts, read 560,082 times
Default What did you buy & why can't you take it back?

Right now, I'm beating myself up for buying something stupid last week that I can't return.

When I have a return, I always ask for the mgr. I ask them to work with me and that I am not happy. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:06 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
>>> Right now, I'm beating myself up for buying something stupid last week that I can't return.

I bought a purse. Nothing wrong with it, but I found something better and simply don't need to the first one I bought. It was my first day shopping with my mother and we got carried away. It was not expensive. I may sell it on ebay. I don't like to keep things I don't need. It feels wasteful.

I'm streamlined....and like to keep my life "simple" whenever possible.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:55 AM

7,367 posts, read 5,481,324 times
My biggest mistake is that I think I am bigger than I really am on top. I will buy a size medium top but really I am a small. So I walk around in these big, baggy tops looking like I don't care how I look. So I have to work at getting out of this mindset.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 AM

324 posts, read 1,138,696 times
I keep thinking I'm a size 6 still and not the size 14 I really am. LOL

Old 06-19-2009, 01:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I always buy clothes that I like, but do not love. I find that I wear them once, and then never again. This happens especially for items that are heavily discounted. Or, if I a NEED a specific item (especially pants), I will buy something that I don't love but I get it b/c I need it. A few months later, I will find that same item but in a style/fit/color that I like better and never wear the first one I bought. Its actually really depressing for me to realize how much money I waste on these items...
I guess I also buy mostly clothes I like enough and I do wear most of them. Those I'd love I can't afford. Eh, occasionally I'd splurge on something I really love. I tend to spend more money on well-made classic staples and scrimp on various little tops. My ex-husbands were sooo sweet - saying I make clothes look better. Well, they weren't stingy by any means and meant it as a compliment, but I'd rather wear clothes that make ME look better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I swear sometimes they have mirrors that make you look thinner than you actually are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
YEP! Reckon they get their mirrors from the same bloke that does the House of Mirrors at Luna Park AND they've got some whiz bang lighting guy to design the change room lighting a la Lizzy Taylor!
They most definitely do! Ann Taylor's Loft doesn't have a single normal mirror in its fitting rooms! I don't understand why they do it... to generate more returns?! Eventually you'll go home and see the clothes look awful on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty