U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:04 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,646,210 times

Advertisements

I keep mine about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch long so that I can untie knots and stuff. Just long enough to be useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:09 PM

22,119 posts, read 23,708,442 times
I can't stand 'em myself. Especially, the loooong dragon lady ones that are so long they start curling. What on earth could possibly make someone think it's attractive? And how does one function and do even the most basic of tasks? Yet every now and then I see someone with them.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 PM

3,541 posts, read 8,109,526 times
My fingernails always break off so I have never had long nails - I guess I am better off.

Those Jersey housewives have long nails though - and also the velour tracksuit with writing on the butt - and the silver rhinstone trimmed bikinis and matching thong sandal.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:45 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,288,654 times
Okay, I absolutely detest long nails! Gross beyond gross! My husband even makes remarks about puking when a cashier has long nails. A few gals at work have long nails (real, too), but they don't know how to file them and they're all crooked or starting to curl under. OMG...so horrible looking...

Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM

1,740 posts, read 3,256,917 times
I have always had good, strong long nails (seriously-I was in the first grade with long nails!). I keep them scrupulously clean and well manicured. They are not the 'fake' long nails and they are certainly not dragon lady nails.

Short nails actually HURT and I am not able to hold things 'properly' when I have short nails. I even had reasonably long nails in the Army during basic training. It is all about keeping them neat and clean. I know that my hands look longer and more elegant with longer nails and that shorter nails look 'utilitarian'. It all depends upon what one is used to and what one considers to be attractive. Oh, and I do not worry about cooking with long nails- that is what I have help for!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:29 PM

733 posts, read 1,743,166 times
when I was single and worked in a high end retail store I had fairly long nails. Mainly because one of the women I worked with use to work at one of the most expensive nail salons in the city, and she taught me how to take care of my nails because I was a nail bitter. However, I was always a whimp about cutting them, and if I didn't see her regularly, they would get pretty long, but they we MY nails, not fake nails, and I wouldn't keep them long, they would just occasionally get long.

Now I keep my nails a short/sport length, french manicure. I can't have them long because I have kids and in our house the two just don't go together. But I do like keeping them presentable.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 PM

859 posts, read 3,091,049 times
I have acrylic over my real nails...but I keep them at a sport cut length. I like it cause it doesn't really chip. I feel polished with my nails done and don't like to get a regular manicure b/c it chips in a day or two on me. I guess to each their own, I am 25 and have been doing my nails since I was 17 and I love it.

The only thing that bothers me is when I see people with the nails so long they start to CURL. I hate the look of it and don't know how they function.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,404,996 times
Wow, I'm surprised by this thread. I never had long nails except for a few weeks. Couldn't stand them. In my job, my lifestyle, I'd be breaking them all the time anyway.

Although they do elongate the appearance of fingers, I also think they limit how you pick things up, hold things, etc. To me they're like binding feet. Binding feet changed the natural movement of walking (at minimum). Long nails are like an affectation that changes the nature of your hand movement. That's my take, for what it's worth ~

I really thought everyone would say they loved long nails. So, just three ladies out of 17 like them. Interesting. Maybe they've gone out of fashion somewhat. Sometimes they do look pretty, like sport length, but just not for me.

"Have any of you noticed how many people grow their toenails long??? Eeewwww!!"
dsh1127!!! Yes, I have noticed this. Do they have to buy bigger sized shoes It's just bad, strange & odd...

Old 06-17-2009, 12:29 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,217,231 times
This is no lie. At Walmart I work with a woman who has grown her nails to an average of 4 inches. The longest one is 6 inches. Hard to measure them because they are curled up and twisted. So gross. She's a cashier and she uses her knuckes to work the register...ours are touch screens. She's proud as can be of those things. I so want to ask her how she wipes her butt when she poops but I don't dare!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:55 AM

10,974 posts, read 23,599,616 times
well us guys always had short nails so :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty