U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 01:26 AM

3,469 posts, read 7,265,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I have acrylic over my real nails...but I keep them at a sport cut length. I like it cause it doesn't really chip. I feel polished with my nails done and don't like to get a regular manicure b/c it chips in a day or two on me. I guess to each their own, I am 25 and have been doing my nails since I was 17 and I love it.
I used to wear acrylic like that because my nails won't keep polish on them either. I have oily nail beds and polish just peels off in strips after a day or two. The acrylics were not long though. I've never been a fan of really long nails. I just keep them short and use a clear polish now.

On some people, longer ones can sometimes lengthen the finger and can even look elegant. Too long is too long though...

My older sister does the long nails in bright colors....she just thinks it's fun. I'm not a fan, but whatever.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:33 AM

32,903 posts, read 61,310,179 times
I like somewhat long nails. Not ones that start curving in, but a nice long oval shape.

Alas, whether I like them or not, or whether they're in fashion, I can't type when my nails are any longer than a smidge over the tips of my fingers. And seeing as I type for a living, the long nails have got to go.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:52 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,849,153 times
What do we consider long anyway?

I consider mine short/med length, but I have the feeling some in here would call them long.

From my cuticles to the edge they are about 5/8" long; from the tips of my fingertips, it's about 3/16-1/4" long over the tips.

Not long IMO, but long enough to notice, and have a nice manicure, but not too long I can't even make a fist with them, lol.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:46 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,217,364 times
I keep my nails short to medium length. I've never had them done at a salon. I always manicure and polish them myself. Same with my toenails. I couldn't stand wearing fake fingernails.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 PM

6 posts, read 7,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8doglove View Post
This is no lie. At Walmart I work with a woman who has grown her nails to an average of 4 inches. The longest one is 6 inches. Hard to measure them because they are curled up and twisted. So gross. She's a cashier and she uses her knuckes to work the register...ours are touch screens. She's proud as can be of those things. I so want to ask her how she wipes her butt when she poops but I don't dare!
That is so gross! How can you work at that place with those kind of people?

Old 06-17-2009, 02:45 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,364,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
What do we consider long anyway?
Anything more than 1/20th of an inch of the white stuff showing. I keep mine as short as possible, otherwise it gets in the way of my typing!!!

I like to type super fast.... zoooooom!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:06 PM

32,903 posts, read 61,310,179 times
^^I know it's time to trim my nails when I start making numerous typos.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:14 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,762,255 times
I used to do the acrylic nails but never to make them real long. I quit doing that about 4 years ago and have no desire to get them again.

My natural nails are less than 1/4 inch long but I keep them clean and shaped. I think my hands look better with this length than having them all cut off.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:21 PM

6,043 posts, read 13,355,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Seriously, what is the purpose of long fingernails? Are they even in fashion anymore? I remember having them when I was young, but now I can't stand long nails. I keep my nails super short. It's easier to type with short nails and button shirts. And I think they look good short, too, especially when painted bright red!

I also I see long nails as a hygiene issue. Do you realize how much "yucky stuff" gets caught under long nails? What happens when you scratch your underarms, private parts, or flaky scalp and then go back to mixing the meat loaf you are preparing for dinner?

Your thoughts please...

W.
Eeeeewwww! Major Eeeewwww... sorry the meatloaf/dirty hand thing got to me.

I keep my nails a little long. Not like talons or claws or anything, but just enough to give my husband a good back scratch. They are never so long as to interfere with text-messaging from my phone or typing on the keyboard.

After my shower it's kind of part of my routine to push back my cuticles, file my nails a little, and do a little mini-mani/pedi. If you do it daily it's easy, keeps things simple. I keep them filed nice but I don't usually do nail polish or anything unless it's a special occassion. I'm a bit of a clean freak and can't stand my hands to be dirty. I wash my hands and use a scrubber under my nails often throughout the day. I'm a mom, so I'm almost always by a sink doing something!

And when I make meatloaf, burgers, anything that requires you working with your hands I either use gloves or make sure my hands are especially clean. I can't stand touching raw meat, so I keep big boxes of those surgical gloves in my kitchen that I use when I have to do that kind of stuff. I use them when I make cookies, too, as it helps the cookie dough not stick to me hands as much. And for house cleaning I have a regular pair of sturdy rubber gloves that not only keep my hands clean, but also protect my hands and nails while I'm giving the house a good scrub-down.

I give my husband manicures and pedicures, too. No polish of course! Just the guy version... For years he resisted my attempts to play "beauty salon" with him... but finally he succumbed. Now that he realises how relaxing it can be, and how much softer his feet and hands are (which I like better,too!!) he likes it a lot. Don't tell him that I just told the whole online world this!!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,220,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Seriously, what is the purpose of long fingernails? Are they even in fashion anymore? I remember having them when I was young, but now I can't stand long nails. I keep my nails super short. It's easier to type with short nails and button shirts. And I think they look good short, too, especially when painted bright red!

I also I see long nails as a hygiene issue. Do you realize how much "yucky stuff" gets caught under long nails? What happens when you scratch your underarms, private parts, or flaky scalp and then go back to mixing the meat loaf you are preparing for dinner?

Your thoughts please...

W.
Seriously, what is the purpose of any form of vanity? What's the purpose of lipstick, long hair, high-heeled shoes, eyelash extensions or anything else?

Long hair is a hygiene issue as well. It is much easier to clean and maintain short hair, but yet there are people who go around with their long, dirty, greasy hair flopping/flapping in the breeze. Or there are people who get hairweaves and extensions, which is basically sewing someone else's dead or dying hair onto your head for the purpose of having long hair. What's the point?

Obviously people do things that are not always clean in the name of vanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty