U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:07 PM

6,043 posts, read 13,358,641 times

Advertisements

I cut off all my nails today, all the way back. I filed them really short. They haven't been this way in I don't know how long. Years. I thought about this thread, so decided to share - they feel good when they're really short! They do feel cleaner. I do type faster. My hands look weird now, though, but it probably just takes getting used to not having any white of the nail like I used to when they were a little long. They were never really, super long, but now having them all cut back... I realize that they were longer than I thought.

Anyway - it feels silly thinking about nails. I'm guessing now I can grab a hairbrush to give my husband a good back scratching. I don't know if I'll keep them short, I feel kinda boy'ish... my hands don't feel as pretty. They are mostly a vanity thing... but then so is shaving our legs and armipits, and wearing matching clothes, wearing a bra, putting on makeup for those that wear it (I don't) and a lot of things a lot of us do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 11:03 AM

733 posts, read 1,743,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I cut off all my nails today, all the way back. I filed them really short. They haven't been this way in I don't know how long. Years. I thought about this thread, so decided to share - they feel good when they're really short! They do feel cleaner. I do type faster. My hands look weird now, though, but it probably just takes getting used to not having any white of the nail like I used to when they were a little long. They were never really, super long, but now having them all cut back... I realize that they were longer than I thought.
LOL...

For me it has been just the opposite. I have been going and getting my nails manicured regularly recently,but recently I also had surgery and haven't been able to get out of the house so my nails have been growing and growing!

On a general note:

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with squared off nails, but I think the corners need to be slightly rounded. I see nothing wrong with somone keeping their nails like this:

A traditional french manicure is a squared tip, not oval or rounded.

Years ago, I use to work with a couple of women who had previously worked at one of the most expensive spas in San Francisco. One of them was a manicurist and she was phenomenal! She explained to me once that the squared off nail is actually stronger than when you keep your nails rounded.

I don't have any issues typing or doing anything else with my nails long or short. and I agree with the other poster who said if you have long nails, it's like anything else, keep them clean, use a nail brush...it's just like washing your hands.

The ONLY reason why I tend to keep them on the short side is my kids. I have to be more careful when I tickle them with nails. Sometimes we all get into this big "ticklefest" and then short nails are much more fun

Old 06-27-2009, 11:11 AM

22,121 posts, read 23,718,794 times
I agree that squared off nails look better than oval or rounded. Oval nails just seem dated to me. Something an older woman might prefer. The nails shown above look nice but anything longer starts to look...icky. IMO.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:42 AM

733 posts, read 1,743,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I agree that squared off nails look better than oval or rounded. Oval nails just seem dated to me. Something an older woman might prefer. The nails shown above look nice but anything longer starts to look...icky. IMO.
yeah, I have always kept my nails squared off, with rounded corners cause my nails are very thin, and an break easily. Not into the too long either. My nails now are now around 3/4 in. and that is quite long for me. However, hey don't look crazy long, but I wouldn't keep them any longer than this.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:06 PM

5,133 posts, read 10,381,470 times
I like my nails short and no polish, just NAKED ... less fuss, I just don't want to "bother", I do too much with my hands and nail polish wouldn't last more than a day or two. My nails grow so fast, I have to cut them every few days.

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-29-2009, 03:07 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,027,069 times
My nails have always been thick and sturdy and one summer I did an experiment to see if they'd tear before I had to cut them and ended up cutting them in the end. I wore them long for most of my life, but when I had my son, who is 18 this summer, I cut them short. Can't hold an infant with long nails.

And discovered how useful they are when you can use you fingers properly. I've never grown them out since. I do a straight "french cut" with either scissors or clippers, sometime sand down an edge and I'm done. They don't need buffing and I never wear polish.

Since I discovered texting on a full phone keyboard I do keep the thumbs longer to hit those little keys though.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:43 AM

4,635 posts, read 4,795,120 times
Long nails look sexy and very attractive to me. The reason they went out of style is that dominant men felt intimidated by them.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:55 AM

44,131 posts, read 54,232,860 times
I have never thought long nails looked good.
Sometimes shorter ones can look good painted.
Overall, natural and short is best.
You can still buff them to get a little shine and even them out.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:07 AM

2,539 posts, read 8,975,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Long nails look sexy and very attractive to me. The reason they went out of style is that dominant men felt intimidated by them.
I guess everyone's different. I know my husband has told me that he finds long nails kind of scary. Although I don't know if I agree with your reason for them going out of style...

Old 06-29-2009, 07:58 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,498,253 times
Good question, I do Tech Support and see scratched up keyboards all the time because of these ladies with their long fingernails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty