U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:30 PM

78 posts, read 205,745 times

Advertisements

Fun discussion. To begin with, "long" can be viewed pretty broadly, as can "short". I believe it depends on the length and shape of your fingers and the length shape of your nail beds. Based on those attributes one can find a nail length that works aesthetically for them. I happen to have long, slender fingers and strong nails that grow fairly quickly on their own. As a result I have to cut them frequently. I let a little grow out, square off the tips and keep a very pale color on them. I think that looks clean, neat and feminine. I've had my hands described as "sexy" on more than one occasion which I always found odd. Other parts, maybe but hands were never a feature I expected to be associated with "sexiness". Whatever floats your boat I guess.

My nails are strong and don't deter me from any activities (including tennis and basketball), and sometimes come in handy as ad-hock tools, but I don't like the look when they start to get too long. "Too long" may mean something different to me than someone else. But I also think that short, "nubby" nails look bad as well. All that said, I know it's easy for me to say this because I have natural nails but I couldn't imagine paying for false ones and the time and upkeep associated with that. I'd go natural. Then to get into all that crystal beading and even piercing? Fuggedabowdit!

As far accumulation of stuff under the nails from scratching in all the weird places um, TMI! Maybe something else is going on the body parts under discussion shouldn't be fingernails... I'm just saying:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 AM

3,075 posts, read 5,192,661 times
Personally, I can't stand the look of squared off nails. Visually, fingers look longer and thinner with a lightly rounded shape. I was once advised that the shape of your nail tips should generally match the shape of the end near your cuticle.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:32 PM

8 posts, read 17,165 times
haha! I bite mine all off. but i do paint them. Usually just black because its simple but egdy.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:18 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,637,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Long fingernails went out in the 90's along with fingernail art. Its all about short or short to medium nails.
Unfortunately there are a lot of women that still wear them very long. The ones that are long and curve down drive me crazy.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:35 AM

2,550 posts, read 4,090,269 times
I only did the fake, acrylic thing 1 time, back in 1999 (when a lot of women were still doing that). But they got broken after 2 weeks of having them and I decided to never do that again. I haven't either.

Some women still do these days, but not as many now like there used to be.

I think the nice, manicured, short nails are sexier (even with a little polish on them in a pink, red, or neutral color is sexy).

Old 07-25-2009, 11:46 PM

436 posts, read 1,221,878 times
Squared off, french manicured nails are not only incredibly fake looking but kinda trashy. If your own nails grow out square, okay but I can't think of where that's the case. Even worse are french pedicures. You want your toenails to look like they have more growth than appropriate...really trashy. Very Real Housewives of NJ in both cases. Icky icky.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:44 AM

6,043 posts, read 13,367,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Squared off, french manicured nails are not only incredibly fake looking but kinda trashy. If your own nails grow out square, okay but I can't think of where that's the case. Even worse are french pedicures. You want your toenails to look like they have more growth than appropriate...really trashy. Very Real Housewives of NJ in both cases. Icky icky.
I totally agree.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 PM

1,743 posts, read 4,093,357 times
I used to have long nails, but since I started trying to play a guitar, I just cut them off.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:34 AM

95 posts, read 156,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
This is spot on. The guy I'm dating right now said exactly the same thing. He said guys pay no attention to them - polish or no polish. As long as they are clean - they don't matter a whit.
I always like when my wife has long nails.....love backscratches

Old 08-29-2009, 07:08 AM

27,236 posts, read 42,042,443 times
Cleaning your ears. For women, clawing your boyfriend's back.

Other than that, I suppose they're just a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty