Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times

Advertisements

Seriously, what is the purpose of long fingernails? Are they even in fashion anymore? I remember having them when I was young, but now I can't stand long nails. I keep my nails super short. It's easier to type with short nails and button shirts. And I think they look good short, too, especially when painted bright red!

I also I see long nails as a hygiene issue. Do you realize how much "yucky stuff" gets caught under long nails? What happens when you scratch your underarms, private parts, or flaky scalp and then go back to mixing the meat loaf you are preparing for dinner?

Your thoughts please...

W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:05 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Guess mostly for 'looks'?
Of course, the job you have determines whether you have long painted nails or simple short ones. In my line of work, I dont do more than trim them down weekly, they grow way fast and I dont want to break them in the wrong place if they get caught up on something.
Nor do i ever wear those plastic ones that make them look longer....again, not only do I not have the need to, but they grow fast enough to where if I didnt cut them back, within 2 weeks they would be really, really long!

Old 06-16-2009, 02:07 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,947 times
Long fingernails went out in the 90's along with fingernail art. Its all about short or short to medium nails.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:11 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
Hmmmn. 'Never been able to have long nails - too rough, working with my hands like I do. Too easy to hurt someone with, too. Bad for handling little ones.
But the few times I've grown something just long enough to notice, it made my otherwise weird, witchy looking hands more attractive. And then I clipped them off again.

Had friends who did the whole acrylic nail thing...I could not have found the patience or money for that.

Just noticed the other day that lately most models seem to have shorter nails...but that, like everything else, might be subject to whim.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:16 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
I think they are nasty. Nothing like really long nails with a shimmer light blue polish scratching a body part collecting all kinds of skin and lord knows what else under them...BARF! I think they are dirty and ugly....Who wants a large collection of dead cells hanging from their fingers?

Short (not too short), manicured, clean...that is what I like.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:03 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
I don't get it either, especially the fake acrylic ones. They do seem unsanitary and non-functional. I often wonder how women manage to do certain things with those long fake things on.

I give myself manicures and keep my nails short and they are clean, sculpted, and buffed.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:33 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
I think they are tacky, in a Jersey housewife sort of way. If the wearer of said nails is also sporting a velour track suit with writing on the buttocks and has different colored streaking in her rat's nest hair, then the look is all but complete!

Old 06-16-2009, 03:48 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,109 times
It's good to see that I'm not so "out of fashion" after all! I have never done the long acrylic nail thing. I keep my nails nice, but don't really have time to keep them painted. I do have to paint my toenails, or I feel like I am not dressed - - - but I keep them short, too.

Have any of you noticed how many people grow their toenails long??? Eeewwww!!

Old 06-16-2009, 03:56 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I think they are tacky, in a Jersey housewife sort of way. If the wearer of said nails is also sporting a velour track suit with writing on the buttocks and has different colored streaking in her rat's nest hair, then the look is all but complete!
LOL! Exactly my friend! Big permed hair, matching velour track suit, snapping gum, big first initial necklace and the long thick light blue nails with some 'nail art' on them to match. LMAO

Old 06-16-2009, 04:11 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
Those New Jersey housewives sure get a bad rap! Makes me NOT want to move to NJ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty