Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 06:33 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,051 times

Advertisements

In other words, how to stay warm and look good? Please share what items you need in winter that are functional and cute (is it possible?) Coming from CA, I have a nice coat and that's about it. When I look at the LL Bean catalogue, I wonder how I am going to look in flannel lined jeans...Tell me what I can get by with. I also am wondering about footwear - basically I am clueless from underwear out, so any advice is a huge help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 06:44 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Believe it or not, thermals or fleece work really well!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:50 AM

618 posts, read 1,610,221 times
My usual winter look consists of an old navy sweater, lane bryant dark wash jeans, my dark green quilted printed jacket, matching scarf/gloves, and my dr.martin boots.

I love to play up my look with different sweaters, jackets, gloves, scarfs....and nail polish

Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Are you moving to Connecticut or just visiting? If you're moving there you're going to need lots of coats. You'll need gloves, mittens, scarves, hats, insulated boots, etc., etc. Polyester fleece is good for lightweight warmth.

And it gets very, very cold in New England. Sometimes it gets so #$@ cold you don't care if you look like the Pillsbury doughgirl, just so long as you're warm.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times
I don't live in CT, but having lived in Michigan all of my 35 years, can I call myself an expert on cold-weather dressing?

Buy yourself a nice, warm, winter jacket. Many times, newer, high-tech fabrics such as Goretex or Primaloft are used without adding extra bulk. I own a Marmot jacket that comes just below my hips with a zipped in fleece lining. I really believe layers are key. You can buy some silk or synthetic "long underwear" to wear until your normal clothes. Once you acclimate though, you won't have to really do that IMHO unless you're going to be outside for a long spell and it's well, under 30F or the windchill is horrible.

Also, check out North Face. They make some really cute, stylish, non-Pillsbury jackets that are warm. You'll pay a lot, but it's worth it and you'll be able to wear a high-quality jacket for many seasons.

I believe in hats as well and warm socks and gloves. You can lose a lot of heat through your head, feet, and hands. They make little handwarmers and footwarmers that are plastic, gel-filled inserts that last 7-8 hours if you're going to be outside a lot.

I run or bike all winter long too, so I am skilled at figuring out which layer configuration would work for the type of weather or temperature I'll be in You can always bring extra stuff or layers and remove them later. Better to be over-prepared then underprepared

I was in Southern California this past February. It felt like our autumn there at that time of their winter...It was 50F at night. Southern California's fall though feels more like summer to me here in Michigan LOL

Enjoy

Old 10-26-2007, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. We are actually moving to CT, so I imagine I will need to make the investment in certain items. I can see the layering aspect of things - I prefer that to bulk for sure. I have some Lands' End fleece that I really like, and I am familiar with both Marmot and North Face. It is not necessarily a money issue, but more that I hate to buy things that I will never need...I walk a few miles every morning at 5 am here, and believe it or not sometimes it can be around 35 degrees, which is cold to us...! When you work out, what do you wear? Is it reasonable to presume that it is super cold at this hour in New England???? I can only imagine. Here I just wear yoga pants and a fleece - what kind of layers for working out?

What about footwear??? Boots, clogs? Rainboots?

I like the idea of gel handwarmers...good idea for soccer games!

Thanks again everyone.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:35 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Connecticut has moderately cold winters- but it is not upstate NY, Detroit, Chicago, or Des Moines. Most of CT lies in zone 6, which is about the same as most of the Ohio river valley. Coastal CT is about the same zone as central Kentucky (zone 7).

Snowfall along coastal CT is about 22 inches a year, Nights to 0 are not common. Further inland at Hartford snow averages 40" but nights below 0 are uncommon these days also.

January and February are the coldest months, with December and March somewhere between cool to sometimes cold.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:52 AM

Skytrekker - you are always so good with the facts - thanks! Now, what I want to know is, when you go out on a cold or snowy day...what are you wearing? When you look out the window and see that it is snowing, or raining hard, what do you go to your closet to get - you know, that thing that makes the weather survivable? Is it a cozy fleece jacket, a rain jacket from Marmot, gloves, boots? Maybe you don't even really think about it at all, because it comes so naturally to you as part of everyday life...I, on the other hand, have no clue about what will be needed clothes wise and am trying to be sort of prepared (at least mentally) about what I am going to need! Just curious

Old 10-27-2007, 08:13 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
hi dougnaie

Still looking into Old Lyme? I am a east coast denizen, Parents from Pittsburgh PA- I was born in Washington DC- and have lived in CT since I was 6. One thing I have learned here is NOT to overbuy winter gear. Natives or long timers here really never overdress with heavy stuff. You as a newcomer, facing a real winter for the first time may need to over compensate both psychologically and physically the first few winters.

Autumn 2006 was very mild- it was mild into mid January with temps in the 40s and 50s and one day at 72! Winter set in around mid January of 2007, with cold, but little snow, rain or anything really. We had some chilly days, and cold nights. Only on a few days did I feel I needed something really insulating like stuff from Marmot ( I have a wonderful winter goose parka from them- which I bought years ago) But it seldom gets cold enough here for me to need the item for more then a few days a winter. I have a nice LL. Bean Parka with 'thinsulate' lighter then down- but even this item I use only a few days a winter.

I prefer Autumn/spring jackets with light lining. Lighter parkas that are water/wind proof are great. These jackets can be layered underneath with a sweater or sweatshirt for added warmth.

These items are great for casual wear. Hats are needed on wintry days with snow, rain or high winds. Mittens are better then gloves by the way.

For business a trench coast that has lining that can be removed is great. Heavy winter wool coats for dress are a nice item, but they will not be used much here.

If its 30 degrees and snowing? I prefer my LL Bean 3 season jacket, with a hat.
I will wear my old timberlines. If its really cold, with a wind chill, my LL Bean Parka with hood, or rarely the heavy duty Marmot which is more suited for Vermont then here,

If its raining, and cold, a waterproof jacket or light parka, or trench coast and an umbrella, here is needed here by the way in winter or summer. A good pair of waterproof boots is needed here. A pair of wool mittens and gloves, and a few hats.

I would buy a light weight waterproof parka with a hood.
Buy also Beans '3 season jacket', it is a versatile item that you will use most.
A lightweight jacket for spring and fall (one that is bright in color for spring, one that is more somber for autumn.
A trench coat of high quaity with removable lining.
A medium weight parka with hood with medium density down or thinsulate.
2 or 3 wool hats
2 or 3 sweaters (wool/cotton)
A pair of wool mittens; a pair of wool gloves
A few sweatshirts (one hooded)
Boots and casual shoes that are waterproof (1 pair of heavy boots, two pair of casual shoes/boots

An upscale wool dress coat is optional.

The NOAA is predicting a mild autumn (which we have had) and a mild winter again.

Last edited by skytrekker; 10-28-2007 at 05:20 AM..

Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 AM

618 posts, read 1,610,221 times
As far as stylish foot wear, try dr.martin boots, Uggs, any all leather tennis shoes, NO SUEDE(if it's not waterproof), and high heel boots (but stay away from ice)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty