Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:55 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times

Advertisements

I mean do you clean them when you take them off? Do you treat the leather? Do you take them to the cobbler to have rubber soles added before you wear them.

And lastly what would you pay for a good pair of professional shoes for work.

Please indicate if you are male or female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:07 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
male

I clean my shoes occasionally. I've never had them repaired or re-soled, because usually they cost less than what a repair would cost. My current sneakers cost $40 and my sandals cost $16.

I have four pairs of shoes that cost more than $40, but since all of those are boots, and I don't wear them as often as sneakers, by the time they need repair, I'll just toss them and buy new (max price I paid was $119).

Old 07-07-2009, 11:48 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Female

No, I don't really do any of that stuff, but if I have a pair that I really like and the heels are worn down I will go and have those replaced.

Now, my dance shoes are a different story. I go through several pairs of dance shoes a year - and they aren't cheap. But, after they're worn out, they really aren't reuseable. If you dance, just figure in about $1500 - $2000 per year for dance shoes.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:50 AM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I mean do you clean them when you take them off? Do you treat the leather? Do you take them to the cobbler to have rubber soles added before you wear them.

I don't do all that but if I have a brand new pair of white sneakers I do make sure they still look white when I take them off at first if not pass a quick baby wipe through them and if my shoes are horrible I will run them under the water in the tub to make them look a little bit newer and cleaner always works........

A good pair of professional shoes anywhere between $100-$250 (of course it always depends on your income)

Old 07-08-2009, 02:21 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Female.

I don't pay GOOD money for shoes. I shop at the trendier shops, so when my shoes start looking worn, I just go buy another pair. No biggie.

I do have a pair of leather COACH loafers that need repaired, though..too bad COACH doesn't guarantee their shoes like they guarantee their purses.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:42 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
I have a small arsenal of shoe care products , Mink oil, saddle soap, suede ,leather ,and vinyl cleaner, early in the fall I will saddle soap and condition all my shoes change strings, and mink oil them. Some times the athletic shoes get new insoles . I cant remember wearing out a pair of shoes since college, I donate them when I get tired of looking at them.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:37 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
I don't take care of my shoes in this sense, I would not pay much more than $100 for shoes.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:28 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
I take care of my dress shoes. I bought a cleaner product and I use a shoe tree.

My casual shoes are usually sperry's/sandals'nb's and I like the worn in look.

My work boots..haha, they're pretty bad!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:14 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post

I've taken my custom boots to the cobbler to have the soles/heels repaired and the leather cleaned.

I don't wear any of my dress shoes often enough (and I have a lot of them) that has required me taking them to the cobbler.

As for loafers and basic black heels, I tend to just buy new pairs once the heels/soles have taken a beating. I used to polish them regularly when I worked and had the time. (I'm a SAHM, so I don't wear them anymore.)

Quote:
It all depends. I have $$$ dress shoes that I wear maybe twice a year, but $ work shoes. I'd probably pay up to $450 for work shoes.

Quote:
Female

My DH gets his shoes polished occassionaly when in airports. He used to drop them off at the cobbler regularly when we were dating, but that's because he wore them a lot more. Nowadays he just buy new ones. He primarily wears Ferragamo, Bruno Magli and Johnston & Murphy (ranging from $150-400+.)

Old 07-11-2009, 11:05 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Female

I have lots of shoes.

I ride horses and my leather paddock boots and my leather tall boots get cleaned every time I wear them. My paddock boots are almost 25 years old. I have had 1/2 soles put on them a couple of times over the years and the heels have been replaced once. My tall boots only get worn for horse shows so they really have not had a chance to need much done to them.

I have one nice pair of leather hiking boots that I wear a lot. They get cleaned & conditioned a couple of times a year.

Tennis shoes go into the washer when they need to.

The 30 or so pair of dress shoes I have get the dust knocked off of them every now & again........

What would I pay for good shoes for work? Well, my tall boots were $1100, but they are custom. I think I paid $30 for my paddock boots but if I needed to replace them today they run in the $150-300 range depending on brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty