U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:23 AM

241 posts, read 437,497 times

Advertisements

1) What brands do you swear by? OPI? China Glaze? Essie? Sally Hansen, Chanel? Mac? Orly? Lippman's? etc...and why?
Chanel is my favorite.

2) Are you open to wear dark finger nail polish colors in the summer months, and brights during the fall/winter months?
no, because dark color make you look older .. I never care about seasons..I put soft light colors.

3) Does your finger nail polish color and toe nail polish color have to always match?
mmmmmmm ... some times

4) Do you feel that certain colors should only be reserved for certain people? For instance, do you feel a 40 year old can pull off wearing a NEON color (which is the new trend) like an 18 year old can?
no never

6) what is your favorite base and top coat?
------- I don't like coats

5) Mattes are supposedly going to be big this fall/winter. Do you plan on jumping on that trend? Here's a pic of some matte's with shiny designs..
no
.................................................. .................................................. ........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:36 AM

2,912 posts, read 4,688,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I tend to paint my toenails, but I only pain my finger nails natural (nude) color. Otherwise, they turn yellow from the paint and it is just a pain.
Dark polishes used to turn my fingernails yellow until I began to use a layer of clear polish under the nail polish. I would imagine a base coat would work too.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:02 AM

199 posts, read 330,925 times
1. OPI only- because it never chips

2. Yes, I wear all colors- whatever I'm in the mood for. The season doesn't matter.

3. They coordinate, but never match.

4. I dont think certain ages are limited to certain colors. BUT, since neon has been in style back in the 80s, it's not for 40yo's. If you wore it when it was popular before, don't wear it now- for any trend: neon, minis, platforms, whatever.

5. OPI or Creative Nail Design

6. The mattes look interesting. Maybe.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:00 PM

985 posts, read 2,382,261 times
1) What brands do you swear by? OPI? China Glaze? Essie? Sally Hansen, Chanel? Mac? Orly? Lippman's? etc...and why?

I use a brand called No Miss, it's the only kind I've found that won't turn my finger nails yellow

2) Are you open to wear dark finger nail polish colors in the summer months, and brights during the fall/winter months?

I always wear silver, dark gray, navy blue, or a royal purple, regardless of the season.

3) Does your finger nail polish color and toe nail polish color have to always match?

Mine generally match, but I often go without toe nail polish

4) Do you feel that certain colors should only be reserved for certain people? For instance, do you feel a 40 year old can pull off wearing a NEON color (which is the new trend) like an 18 year old can?

No, wear what you like.... Actually, if I saw a 40 year old wearing Neon green I'd think it was kinda cool.

6) What is your favorite base and top coat? Same brand as the nailpolish, No Miss.

5) Mattes are supposedly going to be big this fall/winter. Do you plan on jumping on that trend? Here's a pic of some matte's with shiny designs..

I don't think in terms of trends, I just wear what I like.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:28 PM

42,837 posts, read 80,142,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdiver View Post
5. OPI or Creative Nail Design
I tried Creative Nail Design recently for the first time and I think I like it better than OPI. Pretty long-lasting!

I was looking for a nice natural/beige color (sounds easy to find, but it isn't) and saw this one mentioned in a magazine - Cocoa. I like it a lot.

Amazon.com: Creative Nail Design Nail Polish .5 oz.: Beauty (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Nail-Design-Polish-oz/dp/B000SDRZCK - broken link)

The annoying thing here (not sure how it is elsewhere) is you can't find it in stores. Sephora might carry it, but it's out of my way and I don't go there often. Ulta and Sally's don't carry this line. Ulta did have a few of CND's clear polishes, but that was it. I suppose some nail salons might have it, too, but I’ll always take a few clicks over a lot of legwork…

Old 06-29-2009, 01:34 PM

7,763 posts, read 14,659,640 times

OPI, Essie and Chanel.

I wear what I want, when I want but in general I wear darker pinks & purples on my toes in the spring and summer and darker colors in the fall and winter. My mani is either clear, permanent french (when wearing gels), Red (usually with blue undertones) or Pink (OPI's Pinking of You.)

The only time my mani and pedi matches is if I'm wearing a red polish.

Yes, I do believe after a certain age point (30), most women look silly wearing blue, green, silver, neon and glitter colors.

6) What is your favorite base and top coat?

I don't have one...whatever the salon uses.

5) Mattes are supposedly going to be big this fall/winter. Do you plan on jumping on that trend?

No.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 06-29-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 09:12 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,218,135 times
I choose my nail polish by color, not brand. Whatever color catches my eye, I buy.

There used to be a time when the color polish on my fingernails HAD to match the polish on my toenails. Not anymore. I do try to do different shades of the same color.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:52 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,555,176 times
I guess I'll go ahead and answer since I am the OP.....

I've tried quite a few of them and I tend not to go over $8 when it comes to buying polish. Its just not that serious to me. I have natural nails and I've found that Orly works best on me, as far as chip resistance. They don't have all that great of a selection of colors to choose from, though, like OPI, Essie, and China Glaze. I don't understand the hype with OPI because it chips in a few days on me, but again, I have natural nails.

Whatever my mood is, I wear it. Although, as far as this summer is concerned, I've been wearing nothing but brights, thus far.

Yes. I have a very difficult time with putting a different color on my finger nails and toe nails.

I think its fine for an older woman to wear 'funky' colors, if she's planning to go out for a night on the town with her girlfriends, like to a club or somewhere, however, I think it would look a little ridiculous for a grandmother of 3 to be wearing it to work during the week.

6) What is your favorite base and top coat?

I swear by Seche Vite

No. I don't think I'll be trying those. I like my nail color to have a SHINY finish.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:15 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,428,390 times
I only use a few nail polish brands, my favorites being Sally Hansen and Milani because they go on nicely, have some nice colors that I like and don't start chipping off within a day (they last).

I basically wear whatever color I want, most of them being dark colors and wasn't aware of a seasonal nail color change. I also don't wear polish on my toenails since I almost always wear closed toe shoes so I don't have to worry about matching polish.

I don't think neon colors are appropriate all the time, but I've been known to wear neon blues and purples every now and then (I'm in my early twenties so I might be able to get away with neons for a little longer, but I don't wear them often).

And I'm not a fan of mattes, and won't be following that trend.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:59 PM

42,837 posts, read 80,142,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
I only use a few nail polish brands, my favorites being Sally Hansen and Milani because they go on nicely, have some nice colors that I like and don't start chipping off within a day (they last).
Yeah, Sally Hansen is quite decent as far as quality goes. I don't get the OPI hype, either. Nice colors, but they all seem to chip on me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty