Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered what the need is for millions of mascaras promising either volumizing OR lengthening OR curling... While I understand some women may have more interest in one of these features, I'm willing to bet the majority of us want them ALL!

I'm still on a fruitless search for a HG mascara. Not that it wouldn't be discontinued shortly after being found...

Last time I shelled out the money for Diorshow Iconic. Not impressed... It was OK at first and then it turned into a regular and even quite substandard mascara. Throughout the years I've bought a few of Lancome's mascaras, have tried almost all of EL's mascaras (from the GWP), as well as various drugstore ones. Once I bought one of EL's mascaras, but just like the case is with many samples, the actual product wasn't quite the same.

Now I'm thinking of trying YSL’s YSL Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils Luxurious Mascara By Yves Saint Laurent. I'm also reading good reviews on some Japanese mascara carried only by Sephora – Fiberwig - Sephora: Imju Fiberwig Fiberwig: Mascara. The problem with the reviews is that you can hardly ever find more than 70% of women liking any single product!

Does anybody know of a really magical and dependable mascara?! As long as it doesn't cost more than $50, I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:00 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I began getting my eyelashes tinted almost 10 years ago, and never looked back. These days, I buy the tint at a beauty supply store and do it myself.
If I want thicker eyelashes, I use Clinique's mascara.
But the tinting really helps quite a bit.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
I'm with you, Sierra. I want it all in one. My eyes are super sensitive and the lashes are getting skimpier by the year - especially the lower ones. I was using Givenchy PhenomonEyes - you might like that. It has a little "poof" thing on the end that helps me get at the tiny almost invisible strays on my lower lid. Problem with that is I can only find it in my preferred shade about half the time.

I recently found one I liked a lot the first week or two.... Loreal Beauty Tubes. One end of the tube has this white primer stuff, and the other end is the mascara. I did see a noticeable difference, and the length it gives tends to curl it up slightly also.

But who in blazes wants the extra step of primer? Now I find myself only using it for going out (it should dry up before I use it up - LOL)....
and the search is on again for ONE perfect mascara that does it ALL.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:25 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
I, too, am always on the look out for great mascara. I personally was not impressed with Fiberwig.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:04 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
I have about a million different mascaras in my bathroom too! I bought some stuff at Ulta I think it's called Club Volume or something like that. It's those tubes - but without the primer. It works pretty good for both lengthening and volumizing. I do a lot of different looks with my eyes, so I don't always want the same thing. Another thing I do a lot is use individual lashes, or cut a strip of lashes in half, shape them and put them on the outer corners of my eyes. This doesn't require a lot of mascara, and it's actually pretty fast to do.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:23 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Diorshow is far & away my fave - the original, not the iconic or blackout formulas which I dislike.

Honorable mentions go to Benefit Bad Gal Lash and the Maybelline Volum Express mascaras. Maybelline mascaras are my fave for drugstore brands. Loreal Voluminous mascara is pretty good, but it dries out fast and can be goopy if not applied carefully.

I don't like curling mascaras, personally. I use my eyelash curlier beforehand anyway.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:46 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,297,652 times
No mascara will get 100 or even 90% because it is tricky to put it on correctly. When you read reviews doesn't someone always accuse the mascara of clumping? With all these funky brush designs you can't always just whip out the wand and then apply coat after coat. Some are much trickier than that.

I think you should try YSL next. On some beauty boards I frequent it has many fans, even more than Diorshow which used to be my HG before I tried Fresh Supernova and Lancome Definicils.

Today I use my all time favorite Loreal Voluminous in carbon black. Always a staple, always gives me thick black lashes.

I also have Loreal Telescopic which makes my lashes sooo long but I will admit it clumps easily. When I take my time and do it right (that's a song! lol) it looks so good. I use it as a change from the volumizing mascaras.

Third is Bourjois Volume Clubbing I bought at Ulta. I freaking love this mascara. It clumps easily but I reach for this more than Voluminous because it works better with it's fat, obnoxious brush.

Honorable mentions:

Too Faced Lash Injection
Max Factor Volume Couture <--very good drugstore mascara
Benefit Bad Gal

I really only use volumizing, so I can only speak on those.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:33 AM

145 posts, read 412,230 times
I have tried SO many mascaras and for awhile I did think Clinique was the best but then by chance I picked up a CoverGirl one at the drugstore, I needed one in a pinch I think and seriously, it is so good! Was not expecting that from a cheap mascara! But it really does the job, doesnt clump and goes on well.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:05 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I use Mary Kay, Laura Geller, and Prescriptives False Eyelashes. None of these are very expensive, and False Eyelashes usually comes in a two pack.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:12 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
I love maybelline intense xxl mascara. Makes my lashes look stupid fake, full and long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty