Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times

Advertisements

In preparation for an upcoming job interview, I've decided to take the extra step and actually wear (gasp) a little make-up. I've quite literally never touched the stuff before...not as any kind of political statement but because I just couldn't be bothered.

My main issues are HUGE DARK circles under my eyes (I'd be a great extra on The Walking Dead!) and some blotches and ruddiness on my cheeks. Also, to my eyes I have a yellowish undertone to my skin.

Any recommendations for products? Please be very specific. Instead of foundation...what brand? Powder, liquid, stick? Do I pick the one closest to my shade or further up or down? I have no idea what I'm doing. I walk into the make-up aisle of CVS and I'm so intimidated I just slowly back away and run.

If you have any good sites for actually applying the stuff that would be great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Go to a department store and get them to make you over. you can get some application lessons on how to apply it. And if you ask nicely, some samples to recreate at home.

Picking out drugstore foundation is difficult, you might have a red undertone, and then one you pick out is yellowish. Or bluish.

You need to know your undertones. But realize if you are at either end of the spectrum, matching will be hard.

Having the right shade is pointless if you don't know how to apply the makeup. Hence the department store recommendation. Concealer is a little tricky, you need to know how light of hand you need to apply it.

If I were just starting out, I'd get a BB cream, since it is multi-purpose. Unfortunately there are not options for my skin tone that I have found in the stores yet for me to try.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,926 times
I would go to Whole Foods and look into the organic, all natural makeup.

They have women who can help you in the makeup section.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
I'm going to assume you're white. If not, please disregard.

I have some dark circles (genetics, what can you do?) and I prefer Physicians Formula dark under eye stick. It will look REALLY yellow but the point is to balance the bluish tones of your undereye and then use concealer/foundation over the top. You smear some on and then blend a bit with your finger, then sponge on some foundation or concealer over the top. I have Clinique but used Covergirl concealer for years and it did just fine by me. I don't like putting makeup all over, so I always use foundation in spots and then blend.

My favorite makeup ever is blush, all kinds. I currently use Urban Decay cheek tint in crush which looks neon pink in the palette but goes on naturally with my beige undertones. Before that, I used Maybelline Dream Mousse Blush in peach, which is a color that works with most skin tones. You just smile and dab some on the apples of your cheeks and blend, maybe putting a touch down the bridge of your nose.

Next favorite makeup is mascara. I'm still experimenting to find my favorite, but you can't go wrong with Maybelline Great Lash mascara in the pink tube. I prefer waterproof because I touch my eyes a lot and don't want smudging, but either will do. Go very black if you are brunette and brown if you're blonde or redhead.

If you're feeling fancy, buy some brown and neutral eyeshadow. I use sephora brand and have a two tone brown and beige, slightly sparkly palette. I use the darker color along my lash line and a little higher up on the outer corner of my lid and into the lid crease like so. Then use the lighter shade on areas 1 and 2.

Lastly, lips. I've got decent natural color so I just found a lipstick that matches (by Clinique) for interviews, but go for Chapstick the rest of the time. If you don't want lipstick, check out Burt's Bees colored lip balm but choose wisely. I'm always drawn to bright reds, but they can look overdone so look for a color closer to your natural which may be much browner than you'd expect.

One other thing, some people swear by eyeliner and won't leave home without it. I think it's something that takes practice and experimentation and is probably best left out on an interview. If you're enamored of it, though, go for a stick like these or maybe pencil, they're easier to blend and less harsh than anything liquid. Again, I use sephora brand but drugstore brands should do fine, just opt for dark brown and try to get it directly in the lash line. Nothing worse than that line of skin between lashes and eyeliner, blegh.

And again, if you're dark skinned, the rules are almost entirely different so sorry to waste your time.

Last edited by UnexpectedError; 03-17-2013 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: Oh dear, BLONDE not BLIND, haha

Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Go to Ulta. Tell them what you just told us. They'll fix ya up.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:23 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,294 times
Make your life simple and just go to Sephora and ask for help (assuming there is one where you live).

Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

I have some dark circles (genetics, what can you do?) and I prefer Physicians Formula dark under eye stick. It will look REALLY yellow but the point is to balance the bluish tones of your undereye and then use concealer/foundation over the top. You smear some on and then blend a bit with your finger, then sponge on some foundation or concealer over the top. I have Clinique but used Covergirl concealer for years and it did just fine by me. I don't like putting makeup all over, so I always use foundation in spots and then blend.

My favorite makeup ever is blush, all kinds. I currently use Urban Decay cheek tint in crush which looks neon pink in the palette but goes on naturally with my beige undertones. Before that, I used Maybelline Dream Mousse Blush in peach, which is a color that works with most skin tones. You just smile and dab some on the apples of your cheeks and blend, maybe putting a touch down the bridge of your nose.

Next favorite makeup is mascara. I'm still experimenting to find my favorite, but you can't go wrong with Maybelline Great Lash mascara in the pink tube. I prefer waterproof because I touch my eyes a lot and don't want smudging, but either will do. Go very black if you are brunette and brown if you're blind or redhead.

If you're feeling fancy, but some brown and neutral eyeshadow. I use sephora brand and have a two tone brown and beige, slightly sparkly palette. I use the darker color along my lash line and a little higher up on the outer corner of my lid and into the lid crease like so. Then use the lighter shade on areas 1 and 2.

Lastly, lips. I've got decent natural color so I just found a lipstick that matches (by Clinique) for interviews, but go for Chapstick the rest of the time. If you don't want lipstick, check out Burt's Bees colored lip balm but choose wisely. I'm always drawn to bright reds, but they can look overdone so look for a color closer to your natural which may be much browner than you'd expect.

One other thing, some people swear by eyeliner and won't leave home without it. I think it's something that takes practice and experimentation and is probably best left out on an interview. If you're enamored of it, though, go for a stick like these or maybe pencil, they're easier to blend and less harsh than anything liquid. Again, I use sephora brand but drugstore brands should do fine, just opt for dark brown and try to get it directly in the lash line. Nothing worse than that line of skin between lashes and eyeliner, blegh.

And again, if you're dark skinned, the rules are almost entirely different so sorry to waste your time.
this is good advice!
my favorite lip pencil is "spice" by MAC. line your lips a tiny bit and fill in a bit and then swipe a little "mauved" lipstick by loreal in the middle of both upper and lower lip. it should be very subtle.
i would use the Maybelline Dream Blush in "peach" too or MAC has one in a peach too (my favorite).
definitely skip eyeliner....i never wear it. instead use your hair dryer to heat a eyelash curler a bit and then curl the lashes and apply Maybelline Great Lash in waterproof. Apply the blush on eyelids instead of using eye shadow.
if you do this with a light hand it should look very pretty, light and professional!
good luck on your interview!

Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
So my objection to going to someone selling my makeup for advice is that they're going to try and sell you makeup. They're probably going to put on more makeup than you'd put on yourself, have brand loyalties at the exclusion of others that may suit you better, and may try to push more expensive items over cheaper ones that fit your needs just as well.

I may be wrong, maybe you want to jump straight into a full face of makeup, but if you are looking to ease your way in, I suggest buying a few drugstore items, giving yourself some time to experiment, and starting with minimalist items until you feel more comfortable making bold choices.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:

Yes, sorry, that's obviously important information. I'm white and quite pale with no tan at all.

Thank you so much for all of this information! I have mild social anxiety so I'm not overly comfortable asking at a make-up counter for help. Also, I NEVER see anyone manning those counters at our local stores...with the economy, I don't think the stores here can afford the extra staff.

Now, this is where I'm going to ask a really dumb question. You mention foundation and concealer. Is there a difference? And what form should I look for? I was playing with powder today that we had in the house, and to me it just looks like I have powder on my face...I couldn't get it to blend. Would a liquid be a better bet? My only point of reference is my mother, and to be frank she does a terrible time blending and you can always see where her concealer starts.

Quote:

If you're feeling fancy, buy some brown and neutral eyeshadow. I use sephora brand and have a two tone brown and beige, slightly sparkly palette. I use the darker color along my lash line and a little higher up on the outer corner of my lid and into the lid crease like so. Then use the lighter shade on areas 1 and 2.
I think I'll skip eye shadow and likely lipstick for now. And eyeliner definitely...creeps me out.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Yes, sorry, that's obviously important information. I'm white and quite pale with no tan at all.

Thank you so much for all of this information! I have mild social anxiety so I'm not overly comfortable asking at a make-up counter for help. Also, I NEVER see anyone manning those counters at our local stores...with the economy, I don't think the stores here can afford the extra staff.

Now, this is where I'm going to ask a really dumb question. You mention foundation and concealer. Is there a difference? And what form should I look for? I was playing with powder today that we had in the house, and to me it just looks like I have powder on my face...I couldn't get it to blend. Would a liquid be a better bet? My only point of reference is my mother, and to be frank she does a terrible time blending and you can always see where her concealer starts.

I think I'll skip eye shadow and likely lipstick for now. And eyeliner definitely...creeps me out.
Finding a matching tone will be a bit harder for you. Also are you cool or warm undertones? It also makes a difference. Concealer is used to conceal or cover spots. Like your circles. Foundation is global coverage. Powder sets foundation and concealer and absorbs oil. BB cream is basically a combo of moisturizer, foundation and concealer. This will be more flexible for you and easier to apply.

Getting help will make things easier.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty