U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,835,570 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning a trip out of the country and everywhere I read, the advice was to not travel with your real ones, so I thought I'd buy a cubic wedding set (engagement and wedding band) to wear just for that purpose. I've scoured QVC and HSN as well as Overstock but the reviews on everyone of their brand names (Affinity, Diamonique, Absolute, etc.) are so mixed that I don't know which to trust. Some reviews mentioned that the CZ's are so white that they scream fake. I don't need the setting to be of any precious metal (seen sites where the stones are CZ and setting is platinum!) but I want them to at least look semi-real. QVC has several solitaires in a gray Diamonique and reviews seem pretty good for it.

Does anyone have any experience with other sites that have:
1. good quality, i.e. stones don't drop with short use, or stones look like glass after a while.
2. realistic looking but relatively inexpensive CZ bridal set pieces
3. excellent customer service, ie. one that won't hassle you for returns if one has to, or warranty questions, etc.

Would appreciate your experiences. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
miu

17,366 posts, read 35,329,224 times
How long is your trip? One week? A month? Most costume jewelry should survive your trip just fine. I think that the best "quality" cz jewelry will be the pieces that are made of vermeil (gold plated sterling silver). And there's a good selection of cheaper used pieces at any or your thrift, consignment or antique shop.

Otherwise, I highly recommend you travel without any jewelry at all. Wear a simple faux wedding band to show you are married, but skip looking for a faux engagement ring or any other blingy costume jewelry. After all, why tempt would-be thieves at all? Some may still think it's the real thing and still try to steal from.

Just travel light and in a simple bare bones fashion. Then you can enjoy the sights and experiences without any worries. And I find that it's much easier to go jewelry shopping when I don't wear any of my own jewelry. That way I don't have to take anything off and possibly forgetting or losing my pieces.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:06 PM
miu

17,366 posts, read 35,329,224 times
For shopping for sturdy costume or cz pieces, buy a jewelers loupe and shop in person. That way you can check yourself that the settings are made in a sturdy manner, that the stones are set well and not chipped. And if you love your jewelry, you will want to go through your collection periodically to check the condition of your pieces. Most antique malls have a dealer that sells inexpensive loupes. Or go online. Or ask your favorite independent (non-chain store) jeweler for their advice and have them order you one. You should be able to buy a decent loupe between $10 and $25.

And bring a loupe on your trip for when you go shopping.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,169,101 times
I agree with Miu, it doesn't make a lot of sense to wear a cheap ring that looks expensive... rings are difficult to steal and are more likely dangerous in that they mark you as someone with money than actual theft of the ring. Much better to get a simple wedding band that won't attract attention.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,236 times
I do see the point of getting real jewelry for the sake of wearing real jewelry to the wedding, but at the same time, the rings is not what the wedding is all about. For the price of 1 diamond ring, you could get 10's of CZ rings - honestly for less than $300 you can get yourself a nice CZ ring like from here http://www.emitations.com/czrinthresto.html and call it a night. The original poster probably already made her choice, but I still think it's informative for others who are in a similar position...

Last edited by OBear; 03-02-2010 at 03:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty