Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 PM

16,233 posts, read 27,273,573 times

Advertisements

Just thought I would share this website with fellow CDF members - it appears a lot of new photos have been added (and many taken out from before) so maybe this is new to more than just me. Photoshop is possibly most responsible for young girls and their unrealistic expectations of themselves compared to the glossy mags they thumb regularly.

Glenn Feron - The Art of Retouching

Here is a an example from the site, hover your mouse over the image to see what the original photo looked like:

Glenn Feron-The Art of Retouching

Watch her waist cinch in, as her boobs grow. Nice definition on the tush too, with the click of a mouse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:17 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,436,264 times
Wow...although I'd known that all the pr pics we see of stars in magazines are retouched, it's still amazing to see the before and after shots together. I agree, that this lends itself to unrealistic expectations for young girls, but I think it goes for older women as well. Apparently we're supposed to believe we can look like the stars, when they look more like us than we're lead to believe!

It's very interesting to see these examples.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:30 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
I'm sure this YouTube clip has been shown here before, but this is a perfect opportunity to trot it out again. It is a one minute video that demonstrates both makeup *and* retouching.

Evolution

The sad thing is how much other, similar stuff is on YouTube: fat to thin, ugly to pretty, all with Photoshop and other help.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
I think this is why we have anorexic five yr olds in this country is because our daughters or granddaughters are looking at these models and saying why dont I look that good ? It is unrealistic views that make for anorexic five yr olds and teenagers . I heard a little girl tell her father who had taken her to mcdonalds for a happy meal say she could not eat anything there cause her mom did not like her right now cause she is getting fat . she said that her mom told her that her dad is fat and he wants her to be fat too . my jaw dropped almost to the ground . this child is going to have food issues and weight issues the rest of her life thanks to her mom and these imagines in these magazines . It makes me sick .

Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM

10,194 posts, read 17,733,049 times
To be fair - fat or not, McDonald's is extremely unhealthy

Old 02-19-2009, 12:25 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,867,688 times
Wow...too bad they can't airbrush us like that in real life.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:44 PM

16,233 posts, read 27,273,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Tell me about it! I tried to rep you but I've gotta spread the love first...

Old 02-19-2009, 03:49 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
To be fair - fat or not, McDonald's is extremely unhealthy
That is true but no mother should tell her daughter she does not like her cause she is getting fat . To me that is a mother who thinks that her daughter is a 2nd image of her . Or is just a plain and simple b*tch!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:49 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,924,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
That's what I told my friend who is a professional photographer! She took the picture that is my picture here. I asked her if she could just follow me around touching me up! I actually was wearing no makeup (don't really wear any at any time other than mascara and eye liner) when she took the photos.

There isn't anything they can't fix with Photoshop. I guess since it's been around for so long, I've taken it for granted that people already know that there isn't much that's real in magazine photos these days.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,947,163 times
If that was supposed to make the average woman feel better, it's not helping. Most of those didn't even need retouching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty