U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2009, 06:22 AM
 
943 posts, read 2,821,173 times
Reputation: 704

Advertisements

So you are saying that if you want to check out beautiful babes, you go to Kmart vs Nordstroms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealHuntingDiva View Post
You're an idiot weekend traveler. A pure idiot. To label "blue collar" neighborhoods as unfashionable shows just how stupid you are. Do you have any idea how much fashion is influenced by the working class? The LV Speedy bag was influenced by graffiti artists, the jumpsuit was influenced by you guess it- working class people. Grow up and step outside your backward mind.

 
Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Middle America
37,232 posts, read 43,559,607 times
Reputation: 51959
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post

However, my primary argument is that income does play one of the largest factors into class.
Your primary argument is incorrect. You can't buy class, you either have it or you don't. Class isn't what you earn for a living, or what you do for a living. It's who you are. And you can work a modestly paying job, and still have class. I've known, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, plenty of people higher income than myself who are severely lacking in tact, polish, and manners. That's a class issue all the way.

For that matter, you can work a blue collar job that's BETTER paying than various non-blue collar job. Furthermore, you can work ANY of those jobs and still take pride in your appearance and hygiene. My dad (college and graduate school educated) ran a carpentry business for many years. Did he groom himself? Absolutely. Did he get dirty on the job? Absolutely. Did he CLEAN UP when he was off work and wear clean, presentable clothing? Absolutely.
 
Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 AM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,388 posts, read 5,858,605 times
Reputation: 3352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
When I go to a class reunion I always can tell the people who are working class or blue collar, they look rough. Their skin is tough looking, their hair looks like something out of the 1980s and they are far more likely to be overweight. They just seem to let themselves go.

That's funny, since most of the over-weight people I know are white collar mid-level management. Most of the blue-collar construction workers I know are in their 30-40's and still have six packs.
 
Old 07-15-2009, 10:17 AM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,388 posts, read 5,858,605 times
Reputation: 3352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
As I suspected, many posters do not understand sociology and human nature. While many white collar professionals, like the lawyer who is shown below, may dress down on weekends, you can still tell who is who. People who work on the factory line or a dirty job still have a certain way about them. It is the way they talk, their diction, their body language, their nails, their makeup, their hair, their habits, the words they use, their walk.

It is so clear and I wonder about the mentality of anyone who does not see this. It is like the different of Larry the Cable Guy against Mitt Romney.
Apparently you are not as intelligent as you want people to perceive you, since Larry the Cable guy is a persona, and a poor one at that. Especially considering that Dan Whitney (Larry) is a graduate from Kings Academy, and has stated on more than one occasion that it's all a show.

If you want to make comparisons, at least do so with real people, not fictional characters.
 
Old 07-15-2009, 10:42 AM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,388 posts, read 5,858,605 times
Reputation: 3352
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
However, my primary argument is that income does play one of the largest factors into class.
I disagree.

I know quite a few people that are dirt poor, and have more class than most people I know that are making close to 500K/year.

They are kind, polite, non-judgmental, will help out their fellow man, the have manners, and respect, and would never judge a book by it's cover.

While the rich I know are back-stabbing (even to their closest "friends"), rude, vindictive, and blatantly vile. But they have nice things.

How much money you have or how many toys you can buy does NOT equal class.
 
Old 07-15-2009, 11:16 AM
 
Location: U.S.
1,633 posts, read 4,993,626 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Your primary argument is incorrect. You can't buy class, you either have it or you don't. Class isn't what you earn for a living, or what you do for a living. It's who you are. And you can work a modestly paying job, and still have class. I've known, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, plenty of people higher income than myself who are severely lacking in tact, polish, and manners. That's a class issue all the way.

For that matter, you can work a blue collar job that's BETTER paying than various non-blue collar job. Furthermore, you can work ANY of those jobs and still take pride in your appearance and hygiene. My dad (college and graduate school educated) ran a carpentry business for many years. Did he groom himself? Absolutely. Did he get dirty on the job? Absolutely. Did he CLEAN UP when he was off work and wear clean, presentable clothing? Absolutely.
Best post on here so far.
 
Old 07-15-2009, 11:23 AM
 
Location: U.S.
1,633 posts, read 4,993,626 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I disagree.

I know quite a few people that are dirt poor, and have more class than most people I know that are making close to 500K/year.

They are kind, polite, non-judgmental, will help out their fellow man, the have manners, and respect, and would never judge a book by it's cover.

While the rich I know are back-stabbing (even to their closest "friends"), rude, vindictive, and blatantly vile. But they have nice things.

How much money you have or how many toys you can buy does NOT equal class.

yet another great post...more rep points.

Same scenario. I have family that lives in a neighborhood with homes that are around the million dollar range....Some of the tackiest people i know I have met there, rude, with the assumption that they are the creme de la creme. That is not class.
 
Old 07-15-2009, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Monroe, Louisiana
887 posts, read 2,698,238 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My dad (college and graduate school educated) ran a carpentry business for many years. Did he groom himself? Absolutely. Did he get dirty on the job? Absolutely. Did he CLEAN UP when he was off work and wear clean, presentable clothing? Absolutely.
As I've said, I do nat. gas work and ruin my clothing often. Very hot, sweaty work.

I am the same way.

However, I know the people I hire are trashier than people in other professions. Its true.

There are always people who go against the tide.

Look at the Wal-Mart next time, I bet most of these trashy people work some odd construction/roughneck/etc. jobs.

A lot of blue collar jobs don't require college education, intellectual skill etc...

On average, an accountant is going to look nicer than the sewage worker.
 
Old 07-15-2009, 01:28 PM
 
943 posts, read 2,821,173 times
Reputation: 704
Looking back at this incredible posting with over 118 replies and still going strong, I should have phrased my original posting a little different. Instead of saying the word blue collar, I should have stuck with working class or economically disadvantaged. Many people who are blue collar stuck up for their people and brought out all kinds of exceptions to the rule.

I still believe that people who work in a professional technical, medical or office type of job that traditionally involves a college degree and or specialized training, are ten times more likely to be clean cut, fashionable, attractive, and take care of their appearance much more than someone who is working class and does a job that does not involve college training.

Now the argument would be that it cost lots of money to keep up appearances. I disagree! One can buy their clothes at Sears or Walmart, get their hair cut at Supercuts and spend very little and still look good. Working class people in general are more likely to be:

Smokers, heavy drinkers, have tough leathery skin, need a haircut bad, look tired, out of date and sloppy.
 
Old 07-15-2009, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,568 posts, read 37,105,596 times
Reputation: 13217
Just tell us ... what point are you trying to make? You've done a complete 180 from what your original post was. What important principle are you trying to make us understand? Just tell us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top