U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:35 PM

943 posts, read 2,821,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Really? How so? I see no difference at all. And I know plenty of folks that do both.
I notice big differences between the nature and look of the people based on interest and activities. For example:

People at the Opera have a certain look
People at a wine tasting have a certain look
People at Nascar have a certain look
People at an Art Opening have a certain look

People at a KMart have a different look than most shoppers at Nordstroms.

People self select at leisure activities based on their perceived style

Old 07-10-2009, 12:58 PM

3,597 posts, read 10,929,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I notice big differences between the nature and look of the people based on interest and activities. For example:

Hmmm - I happen to do and enjoy all of these things you've listed. Can you tell me what my look is and what my social/economic status is from that? I doubt it. Can't help but feel that pigeon-holing someone by how they look is very superficial. I've known multi-millionaires that when they walk down the street you would think they don't have a dime to their names. On the other hand, I've seen house-poor/status conscious/living check to check persons that spend their money to obtain this so called look you are using to classify people. Its an image with no substance. To me this sort of thing is sad, very sad.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:06 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,713,925 times
Quote:
Will anyone admit that blue collar and working class people are more likely to be overweight, smoke and live a harder less healthy lifestle statistically? Which will explain their rough look.
Let me get this straight.. blue collar are more likely to be overweight? A person whose job depends upon the physical shape of his/her body is more likely to be overweight than the people that plop themselves in front of a computer all day long?

Please, somebody get some statistics to shut down this absolute nonsense.

*sigh*

Oh, and for the record, I'm a white collar worker who will choose sneakers over high-heeled. I'm a white collar worker who separates pants from tops - in the morning randomly grabbing one of each and saying "Hope this matches..." If someone here saw me on a normal day, I would look more "blue collar."

What's really sad.. is that of all the people who work on the same floor as I do (since I can't speak for the other floors).... I am one of TWO people whose waist is under 30 inches.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM

27,448 posts, read 34,320,521 times
Quote:

I was asking specifically about the post I referenced.

However, I sure don't categorize "looks" by the leisure activities people attend. I've attended every single one (not a Nascar event, but a race, nonetheless, and also a truck mud run!!). And I'm one person. Sure, I dress different, and appropriately for each. I think you might be generalizing JUST a tad.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:24 PM

Default Anyone can can not see the differences between these people are blind

You are kidding aren't you? So in general a Wall Street Banker looks the same as a factory worker? IN GENERAL you could tell which were which even if they were naked on a weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I was asking specifically about the post I referenced.

However, I sure don't categorize "looks" by the leisure activities people attend. I've attended every single one (not a Nascar event, but a race, nonetheless, and also a truck mud run!!). And I'm one person. Sure, I dress different, and appropriately for each. I think you might be generalizing JUST a tad.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:26 PM

3,597 posts, read 10,929,828 times
Quote:
You are kidding aren't you. So in general a Wall Street Banker looks the same as a factory worker?
That would depend on the banker and on the the factory worker

Old 07-10-2009, 01:28 PM

27,448 posts, read 34,320,521 times
Quote:
You are kidding aren't you. So in general a Wall Street Banker looks the same as a factory worker?

WTF does how you are supposed to dress for WORK have to do with anything???

Old 07-10-2009, 02:14 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,469,994 times
You definitely can't judge a book by its cover. Wealthy people can be overweight from rich and expensive foods. They can have 'tough skin' from doing things like sailing, horseback riding and golf. They can have 80s hair because....well, it's actually in style! Seriously. Lighten up!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:21 PM

3,544 posts, read 8,127,612 times
You really cannot put people into categories -
I worked with a bunch of very highly paid scientists with PhDs - talk about out of style - crazy hair, mismatched clothes, unshaven, nose hairs coming out - talk about rough!
You cant buy class -

And white collar is not always the best - pale, flabby from sitting at a desk, bent over,
Construction worker - tan, muscles from working with their bodies all day, healthy from all the fresh air

Old 07-10-2009, 03:51 PM

Default Yes you can!

Politicians, pollsters, marketers and social scientists put people in groups all the time quite successfully. These people laugh all the way to the bank when society tells us not to stereotype people, because they know that outside of a few exceptions, stereotypes are mostly true. Just like my stereotype of blue collar working class people being more likely to be hard, tired, overweight and out of fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
You really cannot put people into categories -
I worked with a bunch of very highly paid scientists with PhDs - talk about out of style - crazy hair, mismatched clothes, unshaven, nose hairs coming out - talk about rough!
You cant buy class -

And white collar is not always the best - pale, flabby from sitting at a desk, bent over,
Construction worker - tan, muscles from working with their bodies all day, healthy from all the fresh air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or