U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:34 PM

27,290 posts, read 34,199,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Politicians, pollsters, marketers and social scientists put people in groups all the time quite successfully. These people laugh all the way to the bank when society tells us not to stereotype people, because they know that outside of a few exceptions, stereotypes are mostly true. Just like my stereotype of blue collar working class people being more likely to be hard, tired, overweight and out of fashion.
Duh. Of COURSE we sterotype. ALL the flippin' time. It's human nature. It influences how we make decisions all day long.
Your statements however, in my own experience, do not reflect reality.
You just sound, well, silly, frankly.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:53 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,390,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Really? How so? I see no difference at all. And I know plenty of folks that do both.

I find that odd that you see no difference. No big deal though

Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 PM

15,568 posts, read 37,061,949 times
I'm kinda confused. My husband and I are both in white collar professions (we're both attorneys) and we dress appropriately Monday through Friday because we have to have a certain professional demeanor. On weekends, we are slobs! Okay, maybe not slobs, but we're wearing our jeans and tees and I don't wear makeup unless we're going to an event or out to dinner with friends. To see us on the weekends, you would classify us as blue collar. The only way you could tell we are not "rough" is that my nails and toes are perfectly manicured and we have flawless teeth. So, what is the point of this whole stupid thread anyway?

Old 07-11-2009, 01:06 AM

37,222 posts, read 43,439,058 times
My dad, a carpenter of 40+ years, is in excellent health, has a slim, muscular build, weighs in his sixties what he weighed in his twenties, and is in fantastic shape from the sheer physicality of his job. He quit smoking years ago, and the only thing rough about him is a few more wrinkles than most due to sun exposure from working outdoors for four decades.

I know a lot of sickly, overweight chainsmokers who are cubicle drones, though.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 AM
dgz

800 posts, read 3,055,080 times
If someone's face has a rough look, it doesn't necessarily mean they don't care. It could mean: 1) they've had a difficult life, 2) they cannot afford the facials, makeovers, plastic surgery, 3) they don't have the health insurance to get better dental care, 4) they might work outside for a living (the sun can be really brutal on skin).

The last thing this person needs is for someone else to be casting judgements on them.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:37 AM

943 posts, read 2,817,927 times
Default I can tell white collar or blue collar on weekends too

As I suspected, many posters do not understand sociology and human nature. While many white collar professionals, like the lawyer who is shown below, may dress down on weekends, you can still tell who is who. People who work on the factory line or a dirty job still have a certain way about them. It is the way they talk, their diction, their body language, their nails, their makeup, their hair, their habits, the words they use, their walk.

It is so clear and I wonder about the mentality of anyone who does not see this. It is like the different of Larry the Cable Guy against Mitt Romney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I'm kinda confused. My husband and I are both in white collar professions (we're both attorneys) and we dress appropriately Monday through Friday because we have to have a certain professional demeanor. On weekends, we are slobs! Okay, maybe not slobs, but we're wearing our jeans and tees and I don't wear makeup unless we're going to an event or out to dinner with friends. To see us on the weekends, you would classify us as blue collar. The only way you could tell we are not "rough" is that my nails and toes are perfectly manicured and we have flawless teeth. So, what is the point of this whole stupid thread anyway?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:19 AM

4,551 posts, read 10,390,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
As I suspected, many posters do not understand sociology and human nature. While many white collar professionals, like the lawyer who is shown below, may dress down on weekends, you can still tell who is who. People who work on the factory line or a dirty job still have a certain way about them. It is the way they talk, their diction, their body language, their nails, their makeup, their hair, their habits, the words they use, their walk.

It is so clear and I wonder about the mentality of anyone who does not see this. It is like the different of Larry the Cable Guy against Mitt Romney.
I don't understand why people either refuse to see it or maybe they simply can't. I personally hope I am not making judgements that one type of person is better than another it is just there that is all.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:27 AM

7,762 posts, read 14,654,362 times
I wouldn't say the differences are related to the type of job per se (white vs blue collar), but more in relation to income. There are plenty of white collar folks out there who don't make much money, but yet the blue collar workers are raking in the dough.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:40 AM

943 posts, read 2,817,927 times
Default I would not give a casting director postion to most of you!

If you guys were hired as a casting director for a play, movie or television show, you would fail. You are not so good in seeing that most people fit the stereotype of the work they do.

I think it is a combination of income and blue collar white collar. If a plumber makes good money he and his family still look and act different than an accountant in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I wouldn't say the differences are related to the type of job per se (white vs blue collar), but more in relation to income. There are plenty of white collar folks out there who don't make much money, but yet the blue collar workers are raking in the dough.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,670,156 times
Let's say the OP is correct and the syle, physical appearance, and behavior of socioeconomic levels differs. The possible reasons have been stated here in many posts.

So-who cares?? What difference does it make? Is it just a question like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin??

Or is the OP making a value judgement about people based on these differences. Make-up is good. Plain is bad? Fashionable is de riguer while basic, comfortable, affordable and out of date is bad? Hair styles make the person?

Being appropriately dressed for the occasion is one thing--no blue jeans at a wedding, perhaps. But the suit doesn't have to be "in style" to show respect.

What about being of good character, loyal, hard-working, responsible, and kind? Do they count in your social experiment? Frankly, as long as someone practices good hygiene and has decent manners and the clothes are clean and generally fit the occasion--I could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or