U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 05:50 PM

4,394 posts, read 11,627,216 times

Advertisements

I find this thread amusing because I know some wealthy people who don't give a flip about fashion. Alot of people from old money don't really care what others think about them because they have already made it. Alot of people from new money do what ever it takes to be accepted by those who have been wealthy over generations. They typically pretty easy to pick out because they always live above their means regardless of how much money they make. I know many blue collar workers who spend ungodly amounts of money on fashion trying to convince strangers they are not blue collar. They are always living pay check to pay check because they have to have the latest and the greatest. People who are comfortable with what the have never care what others think about them. They are clean and neat and this is the only thing they care about.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:56 PM

943 posts, read 2,820,118 times
From the OP

Some interesting responses but I am still shocked how many people do not see the difference between working class and white collar people. Ever go to horse racing track, look at the people and then go to a winery or art opening or ballet. Difference is like night and day.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:48 PM

3,543 posts, read 8,121,216 times
Yeah, at the art opening people will try to appear "arty" and sophisticated but like I said - you cant buy class - you either have it or you dont - no matter what color your collar is.
I think you are confusing occupation with social class -

Old 07-11-2009, 09:01 PM

27,381 posts, read 34,275,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Some interesting responses but I am still shocked how many people do not see the difference between working class and white collar people. Ever go to horse racing track, look at the people and then go to a winery or art opening or ballet. Difference is like night and day.
I attend Broadway plays, ballets, art galleries, ballroom dancing, and wine samplings.

I attend monster truck shows, road rallies, livestock auctions, 4H shows, etc. I pick fresh corn in the field...sometimes I even eat it right there, and often assist my cousins with various duties on the farm.

I do all these things...and I dress appropriately for each one. I imagine that if you saw me participating in one of the first activities, you'd guess I was white collar. If you saw me in the 2nd group, you'd guess blue collar. You are making a mistake when you make these assumptions. Open your eyes and pay more attention to the person. You might find that they have much in common, even with you.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:17 PM

20,521 posts, read 26,855,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I find this thread amusing because I know some wealthy people who don't give a flip about fashion. Alot of people from old money don't really care what others think about them because they have already made it. Alot of people from new money do what ever it takes to be accepted by those who have been wealthy over generations. They typically pretty easy to pick out because they always live above their means regardless of how much money they make. I know many blue collar workers who spend ungodly amounts of money on fashion trying to convince strangers they are not blue collar. They are always living pay check to pay check because they have to have the latest and the greatest. People who are comfortable with what the have never care what others think about them. They are clean and neat and this is the only thing they care about.

Well said. I come from a white collar family and they are so boring, shallow and in debt. Oh and I forgot useless. They had to call someone in to fix anything around the house. Give me the hard working real life any day where fashion means nothing. I am secure in who I am. I feel no need to impress anyone and I am sorry if the OP feels that need.

Nature and our country has enough to offer us without falling into the man made trappings of what the Joneses should do. I enjoy thinking for myself and being unique.

Yes my hands are rougher than a woman who works in an office all day but to me that means I am living. Same goes for the men. I don't care for the metrosexuals or the men who are soft and almost act like a woman.

As far as Wall Street bankers, have you watched the stock channel? Most of them are balding before their time, overweight, and soft. Woosie men. Why would I want that?

I mean no offense to all of you who really enjoy what I call the "cultural" things. I am offended by the phonies who do it to impress other people.

So I understand the differences but I also think a lot of them are fake and phoney. Most of the people who you think "look" white collar probably have more debt than the blue collar. All because they want to impress people. Looks like they impressed you.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:20 PM

4,394 posts, read 11,627,216 times
Quote:
From the OP

It's not that people don't see the difference. The fact is most people don't care. Other than meat I buy all my groceries from Walmart. I really don't care if the parking lot is full of BMW's or four wheel drive pickups. I am there to buy food and nothing more. Sam Walton and Warren Buffet drove pickups. They simply don't care what wanna be's think of them. Only those trying to reach the top care about what other people think. Those on top don't GARA. Folks who look down on people don't realize there are those who are looking down on them.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:04 AM

943 posts, read 2,820,118 times
If you do not care about this sociology discussion, the fashion, style, and body language differences between white collar and working class folks, I do not see why you even replied. Let the thread be dominated by people who find the discussion interesting.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 AM

16,082 posts, read 24,485,585 times
Quote:
If you do not care about this sociology discussion, the fashion, style, and body language differences between white collar and working class folks, I do not see why you even replied. Let the thread be dominated by people who find the discussion interesting.

Weekend
Interesting is a matter of opinion. After reading through your thread,
it seems to be dominated with posters who see this as just
another judgement/view on your part not a sociology discussion,
there's a difference.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:13 PM

315 posts, read 853,354 times
Quote:
Ever noticed that when you go into a working class or blue collar neighborhood many of the people do not pay much attention to their beauty or fashion. Of course some of the reason is due to the cost of staying current, but I am convinced that blue collar people really do not care in most cases about their appearance.

When I go to a class reunion I always can tell the people who are working class or blue collar, they look rough. Their skin is tough looking, their hair looks like something out of the 1980s and they are far more likely to be overweight. They just seem to let themselves go.

Do you agree or disagree? I am talking about most of the time. I do know some working class people who care about beauty, fashion and personal appearance. But most of the time, they look rough!
Do you go sit in the working class neighborhoods with you notepad?

Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 PM

15,568 posts, read 37,093,386 times
I go on a wine tasting trip every year. It's a bunch of ladies and we rent several rooms and a stretch Hummer limo. The lady and her daughter who organize this yearly event are a cafeteria worker at a local elementary school, and her daughter who is a waitress/food server. Neither with white collar jobs, yet they probably know more about wines than all of us put together. If we were to go by the OP's nonsensical gibberish, these two very intelligent ladies, who happen to be blue collar, are just "putting on a phony front" for the rest of us idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or