Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Ever noticed that when you go into a working class or blue collar neighborhood many of the people do not pay much attention to their beauty or fashion. Of course some of the reason is due to the cost of staying current, but I am convinced that blue collar people really do not care in most cases about their appearance.

When I go to a class reunion I always can tell the people who are working class or blue collar, they look rough. Their skin is tough looking, their hair looks like something out of the 1980s and they are far more likely to be overweight. They just seem to let themselves go.

Do you agree or disagree? I am talking about most of the time. I do know some working class people who care about beauty, fashion and personal appearance. But most of the time, they look rough!
Maybe they have more important things to worry about. I don't think that you can judge a person's status by how they look, not really. Most people would think that I am blue collar LOL, I live in a mobile home (gasp) and do not care much about my appearance. But I am not, by any means, blue collar.

You cannot judge a book by its cover.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-12-2009, 07:17 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
We have another friend who is also an attorney. He looks like an old mountain man from the back hills, and he dresses in flannel plaid shirts and jeans. He has a very rough look about him. When asked what he does for a living by people who don't know him - he tells them he is a chicken truck driver. You would never in a million years guess he was an attorney if you didn't know it already.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:24 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
We have another friend who is also an attorney. He looks like an old mountain man from the back hills, and he dresses in flannel plaid shirts and jeans. He has a very rough look about him. When asked what he does for a living by people who don't know him - he tells them he is a chicken truck driver. You would never in a million years guess he was an attorney if you didn't know it already.
Oh I love that!!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 AM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
I don't see why you people take pride in people with an unshaven appearance, dirty clothing, etc. Sure, there's nothing wrong with being blue collar! A stained white NASCAR shirt and jean shorts aren't getting you anywhere.. The same person can buy a nice shirt/pants for almost the same price! Keep themselves looking nice, that's class. I bet the same person will talk very sharply and not be very tolerant or knowledgable about world events!

Why would you want to appear in such a distasteful manner, no matter what your profession is?

All you people do is give me exceptions to the rule and that is very tiresome.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 AM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Maybe they have more important things to worry about. I don't think that you can judge a person's status by how they look, not really. Most people would think that I am blue collar LOL, I live in a mobile home (gasp) and do not care much about my appearance. But I am not, by any means, blue collar.

You cannot judge a book by its cover.

20yrsinBranson
OK. Do you wear Tweety Bird t-shirts, have a tattoo, wear jeans that are too large/small? etc.

Do you wear makeup?

Nothing is wrong with your choice of house or profession, its who you are as a person that counts! A blue collar can have as much class as a white collar person.

However, my primary argument is that income does play one of the largest factors into class.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:12 AM

129 posts, read 493,873 times
THere is nothing wrong with caring about your appearance. I hate how everyone hates people who are superficial, cares too much about their looks, or whatever. There's nothing wrong with caring about your looks okay? People who make comments like "Well that's because I know what's really important in life"......that is just ridiculous because who are you to say what is universally important in life? Everyone has different ideas of what is valuable. Some people value money, some beauty, some relationships, some kindness............And also, if you can honestly say that you don't care about your looks, I will bet that you are either lying or in denial.

Sorry to rant but that's one of my pet peeves.Like so many people think it's un-PC to criticize lower class people. But have you ever thought it could be the same for criticizing higher class people?

PS. I don't consider myself high-class or rich, or even superficial at all. I just hate when people think it's such a bad thing.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:36 AM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I don't see why you people take pride in people with an unshaven appearance, dirty clothing, etc. Sure, there's nothing wrong with being blue collar! A stained white NASCAR shirt and jean shorts aren't getting you anywhere.. The same person can buy a nice shirt/pants for almost the same price! Keep themselves looking nice, that's class. I bet the same person will talk very sharply and not be very tolerant or knowledgable about world events!

Why would you want to appear in such a distasteful manner, no matter what your profession is?

All you people do is give me exceptions to the rule and that is very tiresome.
Because some people are just that way. They like being that way--and you're simply judging them by your measuring stick.

We all have things that we tend to focus on over other things. Who knows where we get our own personal preferences? Perhaps we just gradually develop some concept over time of what we think is or should be important.

Some people might prefer a nascar race over a ballet. Who is right about which is better? I would tend to think more highly of a ballet because of the skill and depth of expression involved, but if someone else finds more pleasure in watching a nascar race... and wearing loud t-shirts, who is to judge them and say 'you're wrong to be that way?'

I know a few people who have very expensive homes and whenever I visit, I'm always surprised to see that (despite the money they have) they have little or no art on their walls and their house doesn't have a library. I can't imagine not having those things. When I see people like this, my view of them just drops. But that's only my personal view which developed over time based on what I have found to be important 'to me.' They probably question why I don't take other things more seriously that they might highly value.

The short of it is... Why obsess over what someone else is doing? People are just going to continue to be the way they are.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:50 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times
Many years ago I had surgery by a world-class surgeon, who dressed in torn jeans (long before it was fashionable), old tees, the only thing I could say about his appearance was that he didn't stink! When I first met him I thought he was a technician, until he started to talk, then I knew he was the one! Nurses who didn't know him would give him "the look" and talk down to him, until they found out who he was. Funny, watching people do an about face! But I know what you mean about appearance, he looked like Larry the Cable guy!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:32 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
Blue collar people are the back bone of this country.
If you don't like the way they look, go live in a secluded mansion somewhere and protect yourself from blue collar people.
But remember to appreciate the food you eat that they grew and proccessed, the furniture they made to put in your mansion, the car they built that you drive, the gated driveway and fence they put up to protect you from having to look at them, and maybe even the mansion itself that they built.
Yep, us blue collar people are scum alright. But if it weren't for us I guess you high class wannabees would have to settle for bitching about your ice cream being too cold, or your water being too wet.
Blue collar people think about things that are important instead of making stupid posts about things that aren't.
Maybe if your life is in danger someday a blue collar working person just might be the first one to come to your aid. Then you might just appreciate someone who doesn't meet your social expectations and might even have a little bit of dirt under their finger nails or some whiskers on their face or a faded flannel shirt.
The OP must have a very boring life if this is all he/she can find to complain about.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:46 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
It seems that way.

Internet Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I work blue collar. Many of my younger co-workers are barbie doll wannabes who spend every extra nickel on "being fashionable", at least as far as their budget allows.
Do you intentionally try to **** people off with your stupid stereotypes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty