Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:02 PM

454 posts, read 795,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
The responses so far are so politically correct it is scary. Please no preaching or justifications, and just reply to my question.

My response wasn't so much politically correct as a curt reply pointing out other considerations.

A blunt reply to your question would violate the TOS and a total waste of time for several reasons.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:30 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,682 times
Quote:
Ever noticed that when you go into a working class or blue collar neighborhood many of the people do not pay much attention to their beauty or fashion. Of course some of the reason is due to the cost of staying current, but I am convinced that blue collar people really do not care in most cases about their appearance.

When I go to a class reunion I always can tell the people who are working class or blue collar, they look rough. Their skin is tough looking, their hair looks like something out of the 1980s and they are far more likely to be overweight. They just seem to let themselves go.

Do you agree or disagree? I am talking about most of the time. I do know some working class people who care about beauty, fashion and personal appearance. But most of the time, they look rough!
Gosh I hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings here, but ARE YOU FOR REAL??

If so, why are you venturing into working class neighborhoods - since you must obviously live elsewhere?

More importanly, why do you even care if others' fashion sense, or lack thereof, exists?

Quite frankly, I find your entire snobbish summary offensive!

Uh oh, I hope I don't get deleted!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:43 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times
Some things are far more important than fashion.

I hope that you can figure it out someday Weekend Traveler. If not, your loss.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:46 PM

304 posts, read 904,554 times
Not entirely true. My sil asked me to pick up a bottle of $50 shampoo for her at the salon...I refused, knowing she wouldn't be able to pay me back - and I would never spend that on my shampoo. She spends around $150 every 2 months to get the works on her hair and IMO think she would look better with not so much of a fussy do. Her and her husband probably make $40,000/yr together and have 4 kids...not even close to white collar. We make a little more than double that and I spend $25 on a haircut every 2 months - not important to me and couldn't care less if it doesn't impress you.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:52 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
I do believe there is a different "look". It is what it is. It doesn't make the person better or nicer it just is a different look and I am assuming that is what the OP was asking. There is also a different look to the "non-working" welfare substance addicted person with a hard life. I can see it in my day to day life and I think it is silly to try and deny these things The people in my yoga classes have a different look than the people who lift weights, but, just happens it isn't bad or good.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:00 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times
Default Finally someone who speaks the truth!!!

Thanks. Finally someone who knows what they are talking about!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I do believe there is a different "look". It is what it is. It doesn't make the person better or nicer it just is a different look and I am assuming that is what the OP was asking. There is also a different look to the "non-working" welfare substance addicted person with a hard life. I can see it in my day to day life and I think it is silly to try and deny these things The people in my yoga classes have a different look than the people who lift weights, but, just happens it isn't bad or good.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Thanks. Finally someone who knows what they are talking about!!
It isn't that most of us "don't know what we're talking about". It's just that some people care about those things and some don't. That is the difference you are seeing. Some care, some don't - and some have the money to spend on those things and some don't.

Which one are you today, anyway? Jerry or Geraldine?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times
Will anyone admit that blue collar and working class people are more likely to be overweight, smoke and live a harder less healthy lifestle statistically? Which will explain their rough look.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:10 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post

Wow.

Just...wow.

I'm trying to formulate some kind of measured response...

Nope. Can't do it. Just...wow.
hmmmmm that is all I can say as well-WOW.

Our family would not be considered blue collar or working class BUT I can tell you, I would never formulate an opinion about someone like that.

I can tell you that there are PLENTY of people who are not considered to be "blue collar or working class" who have also let themselves go!
Money doesn't = class.....

Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
The people in my yoga classes have a different look than the people who lift weights, but, just happens it isn't bad or good.

Really? How so? I see no difference at all. And I know plenty of folks that do both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty