U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:57 PM

29 posts, read 84,646 times

Advertisements

I think a bag should be always light. If I have to carry a lot of things I don't want the bag to weight more than necessary. And these leather bags look very heavy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 05:08 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,849,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I have had my fair share of COACH purses over the years. I remember I purchased my first leather 'bucket' purse (it was tan) in 1988.

The recent epidemic of 16 year olds, in every ghetto, in every city, wearing them, has caused me not to want to wear mine anymore. I have a few leather ones that I still wear to work, every now and then...and I have a few signature "C" purses, that I bought when Coach first introduced them back in the late 90's/early 2000's, but like I said, I have no desire to wear them after witnessing the demographic COACH seems to cater to nowadays. I let my 16 year old wear all my old signature COACH stuff now, since it seems to be all 'they' like to wear.

I've got several all leather Coach bags that I love and they wear great. I've got one "C" bag that I only use when I need something that large and color (I change out depending on outfit and need). I too got sick of seeing every teeny bopper with them and my own then 13yo wanting one. Then last year I got a survey online from Coach that asked me all of these questions. It did relate to what the target market should be, age demographics and all. Seems they were wanting to get a bit higher up the chain for consumers like they were before. The knockoff's don't help one bit as most people can't tell the difference. Neither do the outlet stores. Although my "C" bag I did buy at the outlet because I was NOT going to pay full retail for a non leather bag. After I did the survey I started getting all kinds of great coupons in the mail from them that were only good at their regular retail stores (not the outlets). Most of them are 25% my ENTIRE purchase which was great at Christmas. I get about 3-4 of these in a years time now. I've noticed their lineup that they carry in their stores is going up in price so maybe they are trying to create two seperate lines w/ the outlets for the younger crowd and the retail store for the consumer w/ a huge disposable income that will spend it.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:25 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,835,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I've got several all leather Coach bags that I love and they wear great. I've got one "C" bag that I only use when I need something that large and color (I change out depending on outfit and need). I too got sick of seeing every teeny bopper with them and my own then 13yo wanting one. Then last year I got a survey online from Coach that asked me all of these questions. It did relate to what the target market should be, age demographics and all. Seems they were wanting to get a bit higher up the chain for consumers like they were before. The knockoff's don't help one bit as most people can't tell the difference. Neither do the outlet stores. Although my "C" bag I did buy at the outlet because I was NOT going to pay full retail for a non leather bag. After I did the survey I started getting all kinds of great coupons in the mail from them that were only good at their regular retail stores (not the outlets). Most of them are 25% my ENTIRE purchase which was great at Christmas. I get about 3-4 of these in a years time now. I've noticed their lineup that they carry in their stores is going up in price so maybe they are trying to create two seperate lines w/ the outlets for the younger crowd and the retail store for the consumer w/ a huge disposable income that will spend it.

So how did you get onto their survey list? I want coupons, too!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,190,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Who else is sick of them?

Is it just me or is every middle class person from the ages of 16 - 99 carrying a coach purse?

it might be just a Dallas thing, which wouldn't surprise me.
DALLAS? I see people all over the place with them.
I have one, I got it as a 25 year anniversary gift from my employer.
I no longer carry it, because it's too heavy for my shoulder, but it's in great shape. Leather is really nice.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:04 AM

7,763 posts, read 14,664,457 times
I was into them 10-15 years ago (their orginal/classic line: Willis, City, Hamptons bags, etc. - no monograms!), but recently donated all my Coach bags (or gave the small pouchettes to my daughter to play with.)

Their designs used to be prettty classic and traditional, but then I started to feel as if their designs were becoming too trendy and geared more towards adolescents. As a result, I lost interest. I also feel like the market is over-saturated with them. Everybody owns a Coach bag and it wasn't like that 10+ years ago.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:07 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,242,838 times
I buy designer (purses, clothes, shoes) for the quality- not for the logos or perceived status that comes along with it. I have to agree that it becomes a turn off when the style is overdone or (as the previous posters mentioned) when it shows up in the least expected places. I would be embarrassed to feel that my worth and status has to come from the purse that I carry. Adding to the fact that majority of the women (who really can't afford them) are actually carrying knock-offs is even more of an embarrassment. I really pity the ones who forgo rent, utility bills and basic needs for their children in order to afford the real thing.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:14 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,854,333 times
Eh, to each their own.

I like Coach, their bags go from sophisticated to fun and flirty.

I have a few, and I will end up getting more in the future I am sure.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,218,582 times
I love my Coach bag!

I wish they were made in America, though.

I told my husband I want a Coach 'wristlet' for Christmas.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 AM

4,116 posts, read 2,833,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Who else is sick of them?

Is it just me or is every middle class person from the ages of 16 - 99 carrying a coach purse?

it might be just a Dallas thing, which wouldn't surprise me.

I hate Coach purses My boyfriend bought me a nice little patent leather grey one for Valentine's Day and I didn't want to make him feel bad so I have used it like 2 times since then. It doesn't have all the obnoxious C's all over it so it's not the nasty, ghetto type. I remember him asking me " Baby you like Coach and I was like " ILLL Yuck don't ever buy me any Coach bags" and he already had it wrapped up in his room for me Great!!!!! LOL

Old 07-18-2009, 03:12 AM

1,740 posts, read 3,261,237 times
I , too buy better quality items (clothing and accessories) for the durability and excellent service from the designers. I am blind and my husband laughs hysterically when he sees some trashy female carrying a "Goach" purse. Knock off are offensive and do not fool anyone (I can touch a purse and feel the quality of the leather and metal work) and they are an insult to the designers.

How sad that there are people who are willing to be the object of ridicule in their idiotic pursuit of status.

It is far better to purchase one purse of good quality than four or five purses of inferior materials and workmanship. It amazes me that there are people who have no idea how to care for leather goods (purses, shoes ,etc.). If one cares for their property it will last far longer than people realise (I have a Louis Vuitton thatI bought when I was sixteen- I am in my forties and the purse is in excellent condition).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty