U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 12:58 PM

28,504 posts, read 48,395,298 times

Advertisements

A HAIRDRESSER was barred from Harrods — for her “offensive” six inch-high Mohican cut.

Lisa Mansour, 40, was turned away by security at the snooty store, even after telling guards she had the spiky style done to raise £1,300 for a cancer charity.

Harrods bans girl’s Mohican | The Sun |News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:01 PM

27,286 posts, read 34,192,803 times
I have no problem with that. I've been in Harrods - it's a very very upscale store, and they have every right to enforce a dress code.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:36 PM

2,639 posts, read 6,089,572 times
It's a shame for her but they didn't get the money that she might have spent so really they were the ones who lost out.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:16 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,305,606 times
I find it utterly ridiculous that one would be banned for wearing a Mohican.

Harrods is no way near as upscale as it thinks anyway ( not that it would give them the right to even if they were).

It is basically a large department store. Mohammed Al Fayed is an odd little man and seems to have an over inflated sense of his own importance and his shop.

Fortnum and Mason the really upscale and classy store in London has never to my knowledge banned anyone from entering their store because of the way they look. Which is what makes F&M way classier than Harrods could ever be.

Harrods is actually quite naff and really tacky in places ( has anyone seen the "Egyptian" hall and shrine to Dodi and Diana? Goodness talk about class !!!) . Their food hall though is superb I must admit.

Because something is expensive does not make it any more classy or superior...

Unless someone is very dirty or being offensive I do not see the need to behave like fascist prison guards...

Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,164,848 times
I wasn't that impressed with Harrods when I went to London... it was nice, but certainly nothing extraordinary. Kicking someone out for having a mohawk just makes the store seem dowdy and behind-the-times. Also, if that is in fact their policy they should clearly post the dress code at the door; it's ridiculous to treat it like some sort of VIP club where you have to go there and see if you make the cut to get in.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:39 AM

27,286 posts, read 34,192,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
I wasn't that impressed with Harrods when I went to London... it was nice, but certainly nothing extraordinary. Kicking someone out for having a mohawk just makes the store seem dowdy and behind-the-times. Also, if that is in fact their policy they should clearly post the dress code at the door; it's ridiculous to treat it like some sort of VIP club where you have to go there and see if you make the cut to get in.
It's pretty easy to get into Harrods. You really have to look pretty freakish to get their attention. I suspect the gal was looking for just that.

And FWIW, I thought the store was quite impressive. I just wish I had had more time to spend there (and money!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty