U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,035,905 times

Advertisements

Guys carrying messenger bags, even small messenger bags don't bother me at all...I actually consider it sexy if they are well dressed as I think it adds a small level of sophistication.

Of course I live in a city...and I'm put off by the suburban American view of the world..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 12:04 AM

57,206 posts, read 76,244,546 times
a great episode on steinfeld on this - its not a purse its a european handbag, dont miss it!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 06:58 AM

250 posts, read 833,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_nurse View Post
The manscaping thread made me think about how many men I see carrying backpacks over one shoulder and "man purses" (for lack of a better word - what the heck are they called anyway?) They are everywhere in the under 35 crowd here. I see Ipods being pulled out of them, but have to wonder what else is in there? Has anyone else noticed this trend?
I moved to the east coast from southern ca 8 months ago. I never saw a guy in so cal sporting a man purse or backpack but on the east coast I do see it regularly. I can understand it though--men have things to carry around too and especially when on public transport you can't stash everything in your pockets.
Men who wear these things generally are sporting work attire. If I saw a man at a mall with one, then I may look twice and wonder but for work..yes I see them and understand why men need some sort of bag/briefcase/backpack whatever....

Old 12-08-2009, 01:37 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,168,176 times
Imagine this:
You don't have a car, and rely on public transportation. Since you do a lot of walking, it is wise to always have an umbrella with you, and maybe a thin jacket.
On the subway/bus you read a book to pass the time.
The weather changes to intense sunshine, so you wear sunglasses.

Anywhere you go, those items are taken with you, along with work/school items.

I don't understand the attitudes of some of the men who answered this thread. Why is there such a fear of homosexuality?

How does what another man chooses to put his cr*p in interfere with your life? It doesn't. If a guy wants to carry around a trash bag to put his stuff in, I don't really care, as long as there in not actual trash in it.

For the OP, here is what I always carry in my messenger bag:
umbrella
book/newspaper
glasses/sunglasses
sometimes a jacket
keys
stuff for work or school

I don't like backpacks, because in the summer, after walking for 20 minutes, the back of my shirt is covered in sweat due to the backpack.

The messenger bag is also easy to get stuff out of without stopping to remove a backpack. So when it starts raining, and I am walking, I can quickly get my umbrella.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 AM

2,599 posts, read 3,820,914 times
I developed the habit of carrying a backpack over one shoulder(left side) while in the Air Force. It keeps your right arm available for saluting.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 AM

4,431 posts, read 5,605,520 times
Personally i think the whole "murse" or "man-bag" is dumb. Do women carry a wurse or a "girl-bag"? No, they carry a bag. Some men also carry a bag. Has nothing to do with sexual preferences. What guy thinks "oh no that guy with the bag might be gay. I bet he thinks im hot. Id better slowly walk backwards outta here so he wont be able to see my butt and get any ideas." ?

Reminds me of carrying books home from school. Girls could rest them in their sides using their arm but a guy had to palm them from the sides and had to fully extend their arm. If they didnt they were thought of as gay. If you had a duffle bag you had to carry it by the edge or slung over your shoulder because if you used the handle you were gay.

Who thinks this stuff up?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:20 AM

15,787 posts, read 25,768,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Personally i think the whole "murse" or "man-bag" is dumb. Do women carry a wurse or a "girl-bag"? No, they carry a bag. Some men also carry a bag. Has nothing to do with sexual preferences. What guy thinks "oh no that guy with the bag might be gay. I bet he thinks im hot. Id better slowly walk backwards outta here so he wont be able to see my butt and get any ideas." ?

Reminds me of carrying books home from school. Girls could rest them in their sides using their arm but a guy had to palm them from the sides and had to fully extend their arm. If they didnt they were thought of as gay. If you had a duffle bag you had to carry it by the edge or slung over your shoulder because if you used the handle you were gay.

Who thinks this stuff up?

yeah, thats what i want to know?????

I remember the book holding thing in school too.
at least now all the school kids have back packs, thank God for that, makes it easier for the poor kids.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,561,917 times
I'd rather a man have something to carry his own stuff in rather than hand it over to me to have to carry it for him in my purse. My purse is sometimes full enough and heavy enough without having to add to it because the man wants to carry a bunch of stuff with him but doesn't want to be caught dead carrying any sort of bag to put it in.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,605,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I'd rather a man have something to carry his own stuff in rather than hand it over to me to have to carry it for him in my purse. My purse is sometimes full enough and heavy enough without having to add to it because the man wants to carry a bunch of stuff with him but doesn't want to be caught dead carrying any sort of bag to put it in.
It absolutely boggles the mind that somebody would have hangups about using a container to move items from one place to another.

It also boggles the mind that a man would have a complex about using a (messenger bag, backpack, satchel, take your pick) yet not about using his wife's purse to carry his things.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:03 PM

4,431 posts, read 5,605,520 times
One thing that gets me is that at local stores any bag a guy brings in has to be left at the front desk/register but a woman walks in with her purse and can carry it throughout the store with her. Cant a woman put store items in her purse just as easily as a guy with a bag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty