U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,896,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_nurse View Post
The manscaping thread made me think about how many men I see carrying backpacks over one shoulder and "man purses" (for lack of a better word - what the heck are they called anyway?)
You mean the Murse?

YouTube - Ask A Gay Man : Murse Edition

I'm female, but I prefer courier bags to purses. Most of my friends, male and female use these as too. Gender neutral, and work well both on and off the bike.

Timbuk2 Bags - Messenger

Messenger Bags, Laptop Bags, Backpacks | CHROME OFFICIAL SITE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:59 PM

7,269 posts, read 9,535,212 times
"Man purses, "man bag," or whatever they are called - sure, I see them - they do not bother me nor do I even think that the man is gay for having one. Not in this day in age where electronics dominate and being in a society where many people out there hold down more than one job. Who cares what is in the bag. . . to each is own.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:59 PM

11,091 posts, read 13,415,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I imagine they're popular in the Bay area and West Hollywood.
My thoughts too CH.....my uncle who is now 60 came into my place with one of those metrosexual looking things slung over his shoulder....there was a dozen or so wannabe cowboys hanging out there and we made so much fun of him,his purse and his "crocs" that I doubt we are graced with his presence for quite awhile....."This ain't Brokeback Mountain here boy,get that purse off your shoulder and those fruity little plastic shoes off your feet before you come in here with the men folk"

Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,863,240 times
For this to be a discussion I am assuming you guys clearly have never step foot in a European or Asian country.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:58 PM

11,091 posts, read 13,415,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
For this to be a discussion I am assuming you guys clearly have never step foot in a European or Asian country.
No....not only my foot,but no part of my body has made it there yet.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:05 PM

37,229 posts, read 43,501,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
You're a nice guy because most men I know want NOTHING to do with a woman's purse. I remember I asked a male friend, to hold my purse, while I used an outdoor port-a-potty and he held it, but hesitated like crazy at first. The way he held on to the purse, you would have thought the purse had some type of incurable disease....You should have seen the look of DISGUST on his face. I know he couldn't wait until I came out of that port-a-potty.
Hah.

My choir sang a performance at our city's gay pride festival (much of our ensemble is GLBT), and my boyfriend came to support us, as he always does at our concerts. It was an outdoor fest at a city park/monument, and there was really nowhere to stash my purse safely while I sang, so he had no choice but to hold it. We joked that he might get a date outta the deal, but as it was, him standing there with my tiny handbag was pretty much eclipsed by displays of FAR greater flamboyance going on all around him.

As for his own bag, he carries a messenger bag to work, it holds his padfolio, files, and laptop. Basically a soft version of a briefcase. He used to carry a backpack, but gave it up when he got the messenger bag, which is decidedly less college.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:31 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,556,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

times change folks. trends change.

Yeah, well, I can't get down with this 'MURSE' trend. If a guy approached me with one, he'd get NO play and might as well keep it movin' that way -------->.

Matter of fact, let me go find that "IMMEDIATE TURN-OFF" thread because this would definitely be one of them...

Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 PM

551 posts, read 1,748,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_nurse View Post
The manscaping thread made me think about how many men I see carrying backpacks over one shoulder and "man purses" (for lack of a better word - what the heck are they called anyway?) They are everywhere in the under 35 crowd here. I see Ipods being pulled out of them, but have to wonder what else is in there? Has anyone else noticed this trend?
I'd tell you what that man purse is called here in Oklahoma, but I'd probably receive another warning and have my post deleted.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,896,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Yeah, well, I can't get down with this 'MURSE' trend. If a guy approached me with one, he'd get NO play and might as well keep it movin' that way -------->.

Matter of fact, let me go find that "IMMEDIATE TURN-OFF" thread because this would definitely be one of them...
Funny, I'm more turned off by a guy who asks me to hold his stuff because he's run out of pocket-space.

To each his (or her) own, right? That's one of the things I find fascinating about C-D.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 PM

42,837 posts, read 80,168,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
My female colleagues call them "Murse", as if that's gonna discourage me.
They're just being nice. I'd call them Purses!

This reminds me of my last ex. He was also foreign-born, but, unlike me, had studied strictly British English before moving here. He was always saying "pocketbook" when referring to my purses and it sounded odd to me. Maybe that's how you can call your purses, Colossus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
It's ugly, whatever it is. I don't see why masculine has to equal ugly
If I were to see any, I'd rather see those over the purses...

It's true, though, it must be hard in urban areas to not carry anything around. I've plenty of crap in the car in addition to having a purse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty