Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:17 PM

167 posts, read 478,489 times

Advertisements

The manscaping thread made me think about how many men I see carrying backpacks over one shoulder and "man purses" (for lack of a better word - what the heck are they called anyway?) They are everywhere in the under 35 crowd here. I see Ipods being pulled out of them, but have to wonder what else is in there? Has anyone else noticed this trend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:21 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
I always have a backpack and would feel naked without it. I keep a book or two, some Listerine, Asprin, eyedrops, Ipod, Keys, Purell, Pepto Bismal (just in case...) a knife, a lighter, cigarretts, maps, sewing kit, napkins, Vitamins and maybe other things too.

Thing to remember is that men's dress pants have pockets that are not very big and are not very sturdy. My car keys always feel like they are poking me in my leg if I put them in my pants pocket, therefore, I always have a backpack.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:25 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_nurse View Post
The manscaping thread made me think about how many men I see carrying backpacks over one shoulder and "man purses" (for lack of a better word - what the heck are they called anyway?) They are everywhere in the under 35 crowd here. I see Ipods being pulled out of them, but have to wonder what else is in there? Has anyone else noticed this trend?
I imagine they're popular in the Bay area and West Hollywood.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:27 PM

WHOA VP that's a lot of stuff! I am a nurse and don't carry all that. I keep a first aid kit in my trunk, a wallet hidden somewhere in my car and a single car key in my pocket. I am good to go with that. I only carry a purse if I am going out for dinner etc and it is an accessory. Those huge hobo bags other women carry mystify me.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Chow I am in Arkansas and see them everywhere.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:42 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
I own three of those. I also recycle them once in 6 or 8 months as they wear out.

The last three I bought were one from Lacoste, two from fossil.

My female colleagues call them "Murse", as if that's gonna discourage me. But they are attached to me all during the week. Like VP says, I'll probably feel naked without it

I even carry them during lunch. It's got my ipod, blackberry, kindle, wallet, keys, prayer books, zip drives and a mobile hard disk.

Here are the ones I have, if anyone's curious to see

City Casual Vertical Shoulder Bag

FOSSIL - watches, handbags, accessories, and apparel - www.fossil.com

FOSSIL - watches, handbags, accessories, and apparel - www.fossil.com

I'm a sucker for Lacoste and Fossil accessories. I even get my gym wrist bands shipped specially from Lacoste Europe, LOL. They have plenty of soccer designs.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:46 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Yeah, Bosco don't do man purses. Everything I carry with me fits in my pockets. The only exception is my gym bag.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Mine is known as a briefcase. Why?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:56 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
if you live somewhere where you don't own a car and use transit, or ride a bike to get where you're going, you need some sort of bag to carry your things in - man or woman. just imagine the things that you keep in your car that you use on a regular basis ... some of those things we have to carry around as we go, so we need a bag. Heck, I'm a woman and I carry a backpack around instead of a purse. everything that i need throughout the day is there because sometimes I'm away from my apartment for up to 10 hours.

it's not anything about being a "man purse" or having anything to do with a guy's sexuality.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:57 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
With everything electronic nowdays, from computers, cellphones, Ipods, etc...I can see why even men would need to carry a purse with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty