Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:56 AM

1,776 posts, read 3,999,350 times

Advertisements

I have 2 coach soft leather briefcases I use for work. I used to do the backpack or computer bag at my former employer, but since I'm in a more image focused place, where relationships matter, and you're wearing suits for 9 months out of the year, the briefcase looks better and more professional.

It's been called a murse, a man purse, and all of the other names by friends and those close to me. I laugh, and keep moving. I do carry the thing on my shoulder, because I usually have my coffee in one hand and need a free hand to open doors and such.

But some of the bags men choose to carry are very feminine looking. I can appreciate some change in what is acceptable, but there is a line that can be crossed when something is obviously not masculine, but feminine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:05 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,054,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I have 2 coach soft leather briefcases I use for work. I used to do the backpack or computer bag at my former employer, but since I'm in a more image focused place, where relationships matter, and you're wearing suits for 9 months out of the year, the briefcase looks better and more professional.

It's been called a murse, a man purse, and all of the other names by friends and those close to me. I laugh, and keep moving. I do carry the thing on my shoulder, because I usually have my coffee in one hand and need a free hand to open doors and such.

But some of the bags men choose to carry are very feminine looking. I can appreciate some change in what is acceptable, but there is a line that can be crossed when something is obviously not masculine, but feminine.
Good post

Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 AM

551 posts, read 1,922,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
It doesn't make me a genius. It just makes me realize that you don't think about the REASONS men or anyone else might need to carry a bag. Instead you're just throwing around "omg gay!" It's not a "trend" it's a "necessity" for some people.
The only men I have seen with these man purses are the old dorky type or the gay type. And trying to remember the last time I saw a gay dude, yet alone one with a purse, it might have been on tv and not in Oklahoma.

Most of us drive over 20 miles to work. The only real walking here is to the vehicle--please take this exaggeration as my means of making my point that man purses are not needed here.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,665,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_nurse View Post
Colossus that Nevada bag is nice, appears well made.

Trust me, it's a wonderful feeling to have empty pockets in the pants. I used to do pockets but grew disillusioned over time.

There was a time in my mid twenties I used to put my comb in the right socks and the cell phone in the left. It used to ring and I always pulled it out of the leg, it started a trend.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:44 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,500,292 times
In Japan every man carried a bag of some sort. I saw lots of men totting bags that are classified as "purses" and would be commonly be used by women in America.

I got this in Italy...

in the men stores they carry bags for men

It is a necessity when you live in the city. You don't have a car to put your sh*t in.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,581,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post

BTW...if a dude runs out of "pocket room" it's his own fault....overalls have a lot more pockets on them and don't look gay.
AU contraire, I've always felt that overallls looked pretty gay.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,581,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post

Me, I could carry my cooler bag--which is keeping my drinks cold--in my hand, but I like having my hands free. You never know when you'll have to use them.

All these people that say no one walks. I walk five days a week to and from work. Takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. If it rains, I'm going to have to bring a change of clothes, because I'll be soaked by the time I get there--but I always show up at least half an hour early, so plenty of time to change.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:46 PM

1,776 posts, read 3,999,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Me, I could carry my cooler bag--which is keeping my drinks cold--in my hand, but I like having my hands free. You never know when you'll have to use them.

All these people that say no one walks. I walk five days a week to and from work. Takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. If it rains, I'm going to have to bring a change of clothes, because I'll be soaked by the time I get there--but I always show up at least half an hour early, so plenty of time to change.
That's quite a walk- what kind of work do you do- and what kind of attire do you wear?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
AU contraire, I've always felt that overallls looked pretty gay.
Maybe you should just march right into your nearest bar full of union construction workers and just let THEM in on your thoughts...you know,open it up for discussion and see what they think

Pay your insurance up first tho'

Old 07-16-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Get a better job if you can't afford a car buddy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty