U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 08:15 PM

350 posts, read 3,688,230 times

Advertisements

I was in search of a new pair of glasses and found a pair I loved--but they're the kind that's in style right now with the really wide earpieces.

I put them on and felt like I had two big blindspots--that my peripheral vision was greatly reduced.

My current glasses are quite old and have very thin earpieces.

Do you find the wide earpieces to be a problem in terms of your vision? Are they annoying? I would think it would be hard to drive in these.

I am trying to decide if I would like wearing them. They look so cute but the peripheral vision aspect bothers me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 08:27 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,265,563 times
I think you mean the "arms".

Anyhow, I have thick arms on my backup glasses (I wear contacts) because I have such a high prescription that it helps hide the thick lenses .
I agree too....peripheral vision sucks with glasses, but I thought that was just the nature of all glasses.... I can see how a thicker arm might make it worse though.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:21 PM

5,008 posts, read 7,983,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I was in search of a new pair of glasses and found a pair I loved--but they're the kind that's in style right now with the really wide earpieces.

I put them on and felt like I had two big blindspots--that my peripheral vision was greatly reduced.

Do you find the wide earpieces to be a problem in terms of your vision? Are they annoying? I would think it would be hard to drive in these.

I am trying to decide if I would like wearing them. They look so cute but the peripheral vision aspect bothers me.
The earpieces are actually called "bows."

Old 07-19-2009, 05:48 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,189,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post

I just got mine 2 months ago. Very stylish, I love them. No problems with peripheral vision at all. I also love them because I hate those wire type nose guards on glasses, they're hideous looking, get stained with makeup, leave dents in your skin etc. These newer glasses have the noseguards built right into the frame, completely light much easier to wear in a Southern humid area as well.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,427,061 times
I remember about a year ago I went in search of a new pair of glasses and it was hell. :/ Those glasses were everywhere and looked hideous on me and I didn't like them. I found that my peripheral vision was greatly reduced or the frame color was too distracting.

I'm a fan of the plastic frames, but I like them to be thin plastic and not thick like the styles all seem to be.

Like Mrs. P, I like the plastic frames mostly because of the nose pieces that are built in and don't leave dent's or snap off, plus the plastic doesn't get bent as easily as the wire ones. I've had plenty of wire frames in my life and they all seemed to bend or break easily while the plastic ones I've had the longest out of any other pair I've ever had and they survived a motorcycle accident and three summers of Paint Ball and AirSoft. :]

Good luck finding a pair that you like that don't obstruct vision!

Old 07-20-2009, 05:30 PM

15,568 posts, read 37,058,982 times
I have these:

Google Image Result for http://www.bestbuyeyeglasses.com/img/product.ashx/p?291975.jpg

I have no problem with peripheral vision, but I do turn my head - especially while driving.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:57 PM

16,224 posts, read 22,935,709 times
Whats in style now for eyeglasses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty