Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:27 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,241,818 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's a peeve of mine--overuse of scented body products.

I have a friend who uses scented everything, detergent, fabric softener, scented soap, shampoo,and---the worse of all---scented deodrant!

All together she knocks you over! I've tried telling her, but she thinks its a compliment, thinks all those smells are good, then people know you've bathed, washed your clothes, etc.

I thought the whole purpose of bathing, washing clothes, etc is NOT to smell, not to add to it. Especially scented deodrant, I can't stand it! She always buys the cheapest stuff, why would anyone want strawberry scented pits!

So, how many use scented products and how many prefer unscented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,874,167 times
the only thing I wanna smell like is my very expensive perfume! Everything else I use is unscented.
BTW, I have a girlfriend like that, seems to be almost a phobia, she applies deodorant like every half-hour, whats up with that?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:12 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,572,454 times
I just use a lightly scented deodorant and coconut shampoo. That's "daily-me". Perfume or other products are reserved for special occasions. I hate when you can smell "fruity or floral people" even when they are far away xD

Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 AM

3,973 posts, read 7,674,252 times
I like to layer my scents, for example; I choose a scent, then I like to buy it in a shower gel, lotion and spray/perfume. I don't use heavy scents, I prefer fresh scents. I use unscented deodorant.
as far as detergent, I have used scented but it doesn't keep the scent on my clothes.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:36 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,196,913 times
I will take a person who uses scented bath and laundry products over a person who douses themself in strong perfume anyday. I have been near folks wearing so much perfume it made me gag. And I can guarantee while I also find strawberry deodorant a bit tacky, it definitely isn't the person's deodorant, bath wash, shampoo or laundry products I smell-it is unmistakably perfume.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:26 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,988,140 times
I would rather smell overly scented ppl than ppl who dont bathe at all and we used to work with a girl who must have never shaved or bathed cause you could see her hair on her legs through her hose and that was just plain nasty .Plus she smelled musty all day and the boss said he could not say anything to her for fear of being sued for harassment .

Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,040,301 times
SCENTED deodorant is all I use. I enjoy the baby powder scent the most.

I use scented soap, lotion, laundry detergent and fabric softener as well.

When I was little, I couldn't use scented soap, because it would break me out and make me itch, but as an adult, I no longer have that problem.

I've a fan of smelling good. I make Bath & Body Works and Victoria Secret RICH from buying all their body sprays and such.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,726,879 times
Scented deodorant, sure- powder fresh or something of the sort is fine. I don't purchase my hair products by their fragrance, so I don't really know/care; all I know is my hair smells clean after being washed, and feels great. Most people smell relatively good fresh out of the shower, so no hang-ups there. Use whatever bath product that pleases you, I know I do; and if anyone is bothered by the scent of soap or bodywash someone used prior to being in the same space as them, there is more of a problem than whether they sudsed up with "ocean mist" or "berry fresh." I mean, who is offended by the scent of cleanliness? When I used to live with my little sister, she would totally OD on fruity body splash after showering, but that is what pleased her; and while not being my cup of tea, she certainly smelled pleasant (if not exactly unique). Now myself, I love perfume, and smell is one of the greatest, most luxurious sensual experiences that I know. I'm not heavy-handed with my fragrance, but if it has immense sillage, so be it. I'm wearing it anyway, lalalalala.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:31 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,193,074 times
I like stuff with scents to it. But people do OD on that stuff. I would rather smell the good stink though than the bad stink. I am a one spritz/day to twirl through kinda perfume wearer. I see people go crazy with it though..like 4 pumps of perfume...thats a lot..Or body spray is just too strong if its more than two pumps. Most everyday scents are linked to carcinogens so I try to stick to more natural ones and they are much lighter/smoother and fade softly.

I think the worst is when a gaggle of club skanks wander down the street together creating the mutant funk of cheap perfume, b.o., drinking, and diet breath/fatburn stink....ugh...

Old 07-20-2009, 02:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,714,333 times
I use scented everything, but I'm pretty much unscented. The trick is to not go overboard with the smells--be careful and aware of how much detergent is being used, try a different deodorant if it's too strong-smelling, ect.

Though I'd much rather smell someone who goes overboard on scented body products than people who don't shower/wash their clothes/reek of animal urine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty