Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,686 times

Advertisements

I broached this subject on another thread but thought I'd devote a thread to this product to see what people think.

Tish & Snooky's MANIC PANIC NYC

I think I am going to order some of the infra-red color to brighten up my dull chestnut hair. I've been doing some reading and I think it should do the trick w/out damaging my dry overprocessed tresses. From what I've seen, the pro's cons are as follows:

Pros:
1.Can be reapplied as needed and one jar should last through a couple of uses for medium length hair

2.Stains the hair but also conditions

3.If hair is washed in cold water, color should hold for several weeks

4.Easy to do at home

5.Economical (about 10.00 for a large jar)

6.extremely saturated pigments

7.Can be mixed with shampoo or conditioner to help maintain color.

8.Perfect for people who want an unnatural color but don't want to deal with permanant color chemicals

Cons:
1.Stains everything so gloves must be worn, old clothing is a must during application, and dark pillowcases will be needed, especially during the first few washes.

2.Requires upkeep

3.If used on bleached hair, color could take brighter than desired and fade very quickly

Any additional thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
In my experience, the colors have a lightening agent... so on blonde hair, the red came out fluorescent pink. I was able to work with it, but only because my hair is extremely healthy. That was back in October... and I still have a strand or two of pink that I didn't mess with when I changed the color again.

$10 for a jar isn't too bad for some fun. Also, you mention having to wear gloves and old clothes - anyone who does dying at home should have a pair of gloves and old clothes. I'd recommend a button-up to make it easy to get out of. I've got an old DragonFly button-up that I use as my artistic shirt. It's got everything on it.

Overall, the stuff is extremely versatile, and the colors come out intensely awesome.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
In my experience, the colors have a lightening agent... so on blonde hair, the red came out fluorescent pink. I was able to work with it, but only because my hair is extremely healthy. That was back in October... and I still have a strand or two of pink that I didn't mess with when I changed the color again.

$10 for a jar isn't too bad for some fun. Also, you mention having to wear gloves and old clothes - anyone who does dying at home should have a pair of gloves and old clothes. I'd recommend a button-up to make it easy to get out of. I've got an old DragonFly button-up that I use as my artistic shirt. It's got everything on it.

Overall, the stuff is extremely versatile, and the colors come out intensely awesome.

My hair was platinum blonde and I tried to have it colored a copper color but the blonde wouldnt take the red so after three processes, it's a dull chestnut brown. Do you think the red will brighten that up...? As long as I don't get one of the blue reds, it shouldnt have a pink/purple hue should it?

I totally agree about the old button up shirt. I have one that is my husbands old flannel shirt...it looks like a Jackson Pollock.

I looked at the gallery on that manic panic website. Some of the results are FANTASTIC and some just look like straw. The people obviously have really damaged hair on some of the photos. This girl in particular is a great example of the brilliant color done RIGHT:

http://www.manicpanic.com/dyehard_ofmonth.html

and this little gal on the top:
Pretty Flamingo™ (http://www.manicpanic.com/best%20hair%20color/prettyflamingo.html - broken link)

Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 PM

If I were in your spot, I would definitely try it. Make sure to post before and afters for us.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:53 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
I used to color strands of my hair some crazy shades with Manic Panic back in high school. If memory serves correct, the color would be wonderfully vibrant for the first few days but would begin to wash out and dull after a week or so.

Perhaps if you were to completely bleach your hair out the color would hold better. Not to mention this was about 15 years ago I was using it! I'm not sure how the formula is now and if it's the same/how much it may have changed.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 AM

Just a bit of advice, it is mentioned several time on the Manic Panic site.. and I've done it a few times: To get super vibrant colors that last, get a shower cap or a plastic bag and cover your hair overnight with the stuff in. Comb it out in the morning and gently rinse it. Use a pH balancing conditioner and voila!

Also, watch the kind of shampoo you are using - stuff you can get in grocery stores *and WallyWorld* is too harsh and will cause it to fade quicker.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:15 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
I just did vampire red on my brown hair that is about the same as your video. It is this popping wine color now. I used that alone and it fixed my ends that were begging for a deep treatment.

Thinks I did that make it say for me:
- wash 2-3 times with basic shampoo (baby or clarifying)
- paint on dry hair not wet (dry hair grips the color better)
- get a spray bottle of white vinegar and spritz on generously to allow you to comb the gel through
- massage the color in root to tip
- shower cap with occasional hot hair blasts from the hair dryer to add to bonding
- left on for 4 hours
- rinse with spray ving and cool water
- blow dry but do not use alcohol based products/or wash for 24-48 hours.

I suggest to get most of it rinsed out first in the kitchen sink or stainless steel stink. Its easier to clean and less goes onto the shower walls/floor when you do a full rinse.

My cons tips:
Lather the crap out of your nails, hands, arms with deep hydrating lotion and cuticle oil/creme. This will make it easy to wash off afterwards and residue.You may wish to do around your face too if your skin is being dry lately. My hands were initially hot pink but lathered off in a couple washes because I was washing out the lotion. Pour some lemon rind or acidic fruit juice in your hands to work around to get any extra dye off. You can also use rubbing alcohol. Papaya juice makes my hands look vibrant though when mixed with lemon rinds. Smells great too. If you have a pale nailpolish on it kinda tints it..But I like that.

Upkeep: Yes it does need it. Welcome to the world of red. But you are so good with hair I dont think it will be an issue for you. Just get a tint brush & a bag of cheap disposable gloves. Make it easy to clean the bath by laying down foil on work area (floor,sink etc). The foil sticks to wet surfaces (wont slide around), wont bleed through like paper,Plus you get to answer the "what are you doing" question and get looks like you are nuts covering the bath in foil...lol. It will be good for your hair to do a deep conditioning treatment anyway..So your upkeep is like a 2 in one deal.(color and conditioning)Just comb slowly when you pull the color through so you dont flick it everywhere. If it gets dry..spray more vinegar.

Bleached hair - That just means white/light colored. Like if you did the strips of bleach in the front it will come up brighter. When it fades really fast on bleached hair the problem is usually protective product build up used on lightened hair. If I ever want a quick test I deep condition first and then put the color on. It doesn't last as long. Or your hair shaft is so damaged you need a protein filler. But you already did that so you should be ok on that side of things. But it is good to refresh that every once in awhile. If it doesn't stick at all try a protein filler again without rinsing, then add manic panic. I would do a test strand so you don't waste product on your whole head. Just do all the steps and wrap it in a piece of saran wrap and let it sit to see what happens if you don't want to chop off a tester lock.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I just did vampire red on my brown hair that is about the same as your video. It is this popping wine color now. I used that alone and it fixed my ends that were begging for a deep treatment.

Thinks I did that make it say for me:
- wash 2-3 times with basic shampoo (baby or clarifying)
- paint on dry hair not wet (dry hair grips the color better)
- get a spray bottle of white vinegar and spritz on generously to allow you to comb the gel through
- massage the color in root to tip
- shower cap with occasional hot hair blasts from the hair dryer to add to bonding
- left on for 4 hours
- rinse with spray ving and cool water
- blow dry but do not use alcohol based products/or wash for 24-48 hours.

I suggest to get most of it rinsed out first in the kitchen sink or stainless steel stink. Its easier to clean and less goes onto the shower walls/floor when you do a full rinse.

My cons tips:
Lather the crap out of your nails, hands, arms with deep hydrating lotion and cuticle oil/creme. This will make it easy to wash off afterwards and residue.You may wish to do around your face too if your skin is being dry lately. My hands were initially hot pink but lathered off in a couple washes because I was washing out the lotion. Pour some lemon rind or acidic fruit juice in your hands to work around to get any extra dye off. You can also use rubbing alcohol. Papaya juice makes my hands look vibrant though when mixed with lemon rinds. Smells great too. If you have a pale nailpolish on it kinda tints it..But I like that.

Upkeep: Yes it does need it. Welcome to the world of red. But you are so good with hair I dont think it will be an issue for you. Just get a tint brush & a bag of cheap disposable gloves. Make it easy to clean the bath by laying down foil on work area (floor,sink etc). The foil sticks to wet surfaces (wont slide around), wont bleed through like paper,Plus you get to answer the "what are you doing" question and get looks like you are nuts covering the bath in foil...lol. It will be good for your hair to do a deep conditioning treatment anyway..So your upkeep is like a 2 in one deal.(color and conditioning)Just comb slowly when you pull the color through so you dont flick it everywhere. If it gets dry..spray more vinegar.

Bleached hair - That just means white/light colored. Like if you did the strips of bleach in the front it will come up brighter. When it fades really fast on bleached hair the problem is usually protective product build up used on lightened hair. If I ever want a quick test I deep condition first and then put the color on. It doesn't last as long. Or your hair shaft is so damaged you need a protein filler. But you already did that so you should be ok on that side of things. But it is good to refresh that every once in awhile. If it doesn't stick at all try a protein filler again without rinsing, then add manic panic. I would do a test strand so you don't waste product on your whole head. Just do all the steps and wrap it in a piece of saran wrap and let it sit to see what happens if you don't want to chop off a tester lock.
Great tips! Did you spray w/ the vinegar after applying the color and comb it thru or just after rinsing. You didnt wear gloves during the application? I was going to do that.

Unfortunately, If I did those blonde streaks, I probably wouldnt be able to upkeep the red w/out getting it on the blonde, even if I protected the blonde w/ conditioner and foil first. I've had bad experiences w/ that.

I just ordered my MP cream on ebay for 8.00, including shipping. That was a great deal! I ordered the Infra Red color...bright orange based red. I didnt want a blue based red due to the possibility it might fade a bit purple. We'll see how it goes!

Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
OH YEH..I had gloves on during application.When you wash your hair..It makes them pink and if you dont do the lotion thing it can make it harder to get off. I dont rinse with the gloves on because that feeling of water in those gloves gives the the disgusto-chills...Like nails on a chalkboard.

My hair is curly so I flat ironed and pinned up the top half. I think strait hair is easier to apply stuff too.
I painted it on in the roots starting at the underneath/bottom level (where it will fade first so I applied first to get longest dye time)I tried to comb it through dry but it was pulling too hard/rough. So I used an empty bumble and bumble bottle (has fine mist)that I filled with vinegar and spritzed it on top a little bit at a time so I didn't over wet it causing dripping. I was going to rinse with the vinegar only..But application with the color really made it stick to use it as a fixative or whatever you want to call it. It even made the color grab my baby blondes in the front that usually need a touch up in a day or two to be color perfect. I stole the rinse tip from MP' site. Keeping it in seemed to kick it up a notch. Vampire red is purpley I wouldn't use that red in particular if thats not what you want. But I haven't had any rub off on my pillow. I rinsed in the sink, then the shower, rinse/washed with conditioner to pull off any excess deposits till it dripped clear (which also pulled color blops off my scalp). We even had a night here were I got sweaty headed and it didn't run/rub off. I am ALWAYS going to do the vinegar comb through from now on.

To keep your blonde highlight if you do them, just coat theblonde hair you dont want to redden with conditioner, vaseline, or chapstick.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
To keep your blonde highlight if you do them, just coat theblonde hair you dont want to redden with conditioner, vaseline, or chapstick.

Yeah, but won't it fade into the blonde when I wash later?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty