U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:35 PM

11 posts, read 41,884 times

Advertisements

Another good product for redness I've found is Eucerin Redness Relief Daily perfecting lotion. It's got a slightly green tint to it to help neutralize red patches. I also like it because it has SPF 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:51 AM

12,382 posts, read 20,982,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle15 View Post
Another good product for redness I've found is Eucerin Redness Relief Daily perfecting lotion. It's got a slightly green tint to it to help neutralize red patches. I also like it because it has SPF 15.
I had a problem with that looking greeny chalky on me -- is there a secret for applying it?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:25 PM

38,519 posts, read 47,409,747 times
Count me in at 63. I have always had oily skin, so it's finally paying off with no wrinkles yet. I just use L'Oreal moisturizer with sunscreen and very mild soap.
I really need a product to minimize puffy bags under the eyes, and a touch of redness, but other than that, so far so good.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,973,075 times
I have rx for Retin-a and figure it has got to be better than over the counter products because it's prescription, right? Why try anything else except a good moisturizer to go along with it? Does anyone else feel this way, or is there something I don't know?
I always wear spf 60 sunscreen, light Loreal foundation and Coty powder to set, lipstain and liner in spice by MAC. I think the powder gets in the little lines that have formed, so I may try powder mineral make up other people mentioned. My biggest complaint is that gravity is winning! I can't make my skin stay up where it once was - none of us can unless we see a plastic surgeon and I feel like if I did something drastic like that now I wouldn't have much to look forward to when I get even older.
I don't want to look old but I don't want to focus all my energy into trying to get rid of all my wrinkles either...I say bring on the wrinkles but go away gravity sag!
Being half french a little native american and irish...you'd think my skin would handle sun well. My brother got the killer olive skin and dark hair and unfortunately I got the pale coloring which doesn't age as well as those dark complected folks. I did get awesome cheekbones though My brother just turned forty and has worn sunscreen sine he was 15....he looks amazing! people think he is at most 30 - no joke. He also eats very healthily and exercises...so that helps. I tend to restrict food to stay really thin and also being really thin does no good for skin-so what do you do?! I may just have to embrace the age and go for a little pudge to help the skin out! What do you think?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 AM

3,755 posts, read 7,642,178 times
I have heard Perricone is very good - but costly. I also have heard good things about simple oils and cocoa butter.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM

21,067 posts, read 20,003,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septembersong View Post
I am in my 70's with fairly good skin. I am presently using Ardens Plump Daycream as well as their skin capsules. Wish I could say it works but just not sure and have switched back to Ponds Dry skin moisturizer. I have some wrinkles, not too bad but they are obvious and am looking for a foundation that does not look obvious. Also lately I have had small red splotches develop on my cheek near my nose. I have never had this before and that is the prime reason I would like a foundation or moisturizer that covers lightly.
I have never posted before so my post may sound slightly jumbled. Thanks for any suggestions. Its very difficult to find sites for women over 70 who still care about keeping themselves up to date on skin care.
I know what you mean. Once you're over 60 they seem to think you don't care anymore.

Long ago I stopped using drugstore products because most contain mineral oil, which is a petroleum by product. I've always thought something that comes from a plant or an animal would be closer to what skin would need. Allergies to certain cosmetic ingredients brought me around to reading the labels too.

About two years ago I got sort of fed up and frustrated because I was paying a lot for creams, like Avon Anew and also I couldn't find a moisturizer that went on smoothly and actually HELPED my skin rather than harming it.

I spent many hours researching online and I took notes. Some things that are good are: cocoa butter, lecithin, shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, seaweed--yes, seaweed. Vitamin C--but you can't use something that just says it contains vitamin C because it is not stable. It has to contain vitamin C in a certain form, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate.

Finally I found a recipe for making my own dry skin moisturizer and I've made a few batches but there is room for improvement because it's heavy and greasy and I wouldn't want to wear it during the day. Besides the ingredients above, it has aloe vera and glycerin. I don't know how to add the vitamin C but I read that you can put milk or yogurt on as a mask and that is acidic like vitamin C. Then you rub with sugar to exfoliate.

I don't know what to use as a preservative so I have to keep my mixture in the fridge or it will get moldy. I think I did read about a few things you can buy like tea tree oil but I'd rather save the money and just keep the stuff in the fridge.

Simple olive oil is supposed to be good for producing collagen. Also I have a friend who is over 70 and has beautiful skin and she has never used anything other than coconut oil!

So anyway, I had a moisturizer, not perfect but it's cheap because I make it myself. I never had a good tinted moisturizer or foundation type of product until recently. Since I studied up and know what a lot of the good ingredients are, I chose this:

Lavera Tinted Moisturizer

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil*, Alcohol*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Gylceryl Stearate Citrate, Cetyl Alkohol, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil (Argan Oil)*, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Tricaprylin, Iron Oxide (CI 77492), Glucose Glutamate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract*, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Microcrystaline Cellulose, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter*, Algin, Iron Oxide (CI 77491), Hippophae Rhamnoides Fruit Extract (Sea buckthorn)*, Iron Oxide (CI 77499), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Lecithin, Brassica Campestris (Rapeseed) Sterols, Lysolecithin, Camelia Sativa Seed Oil, Vegetable Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Algae Cichorium Intybus (Chicory) Root Extract, Magnesium Gluconate, Maltose, Tilia Cordata Flower Extract*, Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract*, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Flower Extract*, Helianthus Annuus Sunflower Seed Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C) Natural Oils: Fragrance (Essential Oils).

It contains a lot of the ingredients that I've read about and the ones I use in my homemade product. It has a sunscreen in it!! The color seems to come from the iron oxide and maybe some of the herbs.
I ordered this and ------- WOW! Do I love this stuff!! It slides right onto my skin like soft butter and it's not blotchy, but nice and even. To think that you are wearing make up and it's GOOD for your skin.

It's kind of expensive for a tiny dispenser but this will be my luxury. I don't know where to buy it except online and I feel like buying up a year's supply of this stuff, that's how much I like it.

I'm enjoying this thread. It's good to share and help each other.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 PM

12,894 posts, read 11,627,989 times
Retin-A

Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,573,396 times
I have a friend who uses Kiehl's Powerful Wrinkle Reducing Cream--they say it's quite good. I have not tried it yet. Apparently, it is SFP 30 and contains both copper and calcium. A 1.7 fl. oz. bottle is about $50. A little on the spendy side for me, but you mentioned that you're willing to pay for a good product.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,725,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Count me in at 63. I have always had oily skin, so it's finally paying off with no wrinkles yet. I just use L'Oreal moisturizer with sunscreen and very mild soap.
I really need a product to minimize puffy bags under the eyes, and a touch of redness, but other than that, so far so good.
It's to be worn as a base, prior to applying your usual foundation.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,856,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I'm in my mid-60's and I still got it...if I can only remember where it is. Ha!
Do know what you mean about older women just..well, letting themselves go. I think it's stupid, personally. No wonder older men seek out much younger women. Makes sense to me--even tho I don't like it--makes sense.
I just could not hit midlife and bring myself to let myself go. I had some extremely good role models in front of me in my 30s (male and female!) on the "Youthfully Vibrant, FIT, Militant Anti-Aging" front.

Mature women working to look as well as they can as they age, will actually get male and female haters who are eager to tell you that your values are off, or that there is something wrong with this goal; but I never listen to them. I chalk it up to laziness, jealousy and insecurity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty