Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 PM

161 posts, read 581,372 times

Advertisements

...do you wear a strapless bra with them?? Everywhere I go (mall, grocery store, Wal-mart) I see women wearing shirts or dresses with spagetti straps or halter top. It's obvious they aren't wearing a regular bra, so are they going strapless or al naturale? I always thought a strapless bra was very uncomfortable so I couldn't imagine wearing one except for special occassions. I definitely can't get away with wearing no bra at all. I am a size 32A or 34A (I might could pass as a AA) so if I don't wear a bra I look completely flat chested. Not to mention my you-know-whats poke through, which I've always found very distasteful when I can see them poke through someone's shirt (and that goes for women AND men).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 01:50 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ech86 View Post
...do you wear a strapless bra with them?? Everywhere I go (mall, grocery store, Wal-mart) I see women wearing shirts or dresses with spagetti straps or halter top. It's obvious they aren't wearing a regular bra, so are they going strapless or al naturale? I always thought a strapless bra was very uncomfortable so I couldn't imagine wearing one except for special occassions. I definitely can't get away with wearing no bra at all. I am a size 32A or 34A (I might could pass as a AA) so if I don't wear a bra I look completely flat chested. Not to mention my you-know-whats poke through, which I've always found very distasteful when I can see them poke through someone's shirt (and that goes for women AND men).
I wear a sports bra. If its got the pulled in straps, I wear a matching bra. Sometimes I match colors and sometimes not. I also wear one of the foam bras you can get fairly inexpensively (if you need/want to) minus the straps under the sports bra. Sports bras tend to not give you much shape.

I like the security of the sports bra since spagetti straps tend to strech and droop, and its good to have something underneath which won't. Showing the straps of sports bras doesn't seem to be a fashion nono either.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 AM

145 posts, read 412,335 times
you can get bras with adjustable straps so it can be a bra with halter straps or a cross over back. alternatively, you can go for a strapless bra.
good luck!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:08 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
I'm small in the chest as well, and couldn't imagine ever going out with my nips showing! When I purchase tanktops I look for ones with fairly thick straps so they can cover my bra straps, and I try to match my bra color as close to the tanktop color as I can. If the bra strap shows too much or otherwise looks skanky, I'll wear a strapless bra. I never wear halter tops because I look silly in them.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
For me, my biggest concern is maintaining good support. In thinking about it, I've got only one spaghetti strap tanktop... and it's got a lovely bra built in. However, if I wanted extra support, I'll throw on a bikini top. The only halter top I have is actually a tankini, so there is plenty of support in it as well. However, if I had one that didn't, that's what a good bikini top is for

The rest of my tanktops all have wider straps so that I can wear an actual bra. Sports bras are great for running and exercise, but smooshed boobs do not look great in a tanktop. Normally, I also color coordinate just in case my bra decides to show itself off to the world.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:05 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ech86 View Post
...do you wear a strapless bra with them?? Everywhere I go (mall, grocery store, Wal-mart) I see women wearing shirts or dresses with spagetti straps or halter top. It's obvious they aren't wearing a regular bra, so are they going strapless or al naturale?.
Many of the new tanks and halters have built-in bras. A few are even lightly padded.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 AM

179 posts, read 548,012 times
When I had a smaller chest I would wear strapless all the time. Bra straps used to really annoy me. But then I got implants and now wear regular bras, although I will wear either a bathing suit top or strapless under a halter or tube top. I tried those "petals" that you stick over your nipple so that you 'don't have your headlights on' but on most shirts it makes your boobs look even weirder. I gave up on those and stick with the strapless.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:19 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,440 times
I'm about the same size as you, I always had the same problem until last year. I found the PERFECT strapless bra from Victoria's Secret pink collection. Unfortunately, I think they've discontinued it.

It isn't like most strapless ones, it's stretchy and doesn't have the weird pointed cups. It basically feels like a bandeau bikini top but is a little more padded/molded. If you can find something like that, no underwires and with molded cups, it's a lot more comfortable than normal ones.

Looks sort of like this, only straighter across the top:
Amazon.com: JLo Lingerie Soft Touch Strapless Bandeau Bra: Apparel

You can also wear something like this underneath:
Victoria's Secret - Tube top

Old 06-29-2009, 12:10 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
I'm a bit larger in that area (36C) and I wear halters and spaghetti strap tops all of the time w/ a strapless bra. The only ones that I have found that are super comfortable, stay put and look normal are actually from Target. It is their private label brand (gilligan o'malley, I think, or something like that). It does have an underwire but is not uncomfortable at all. I can't do the built-in shelf bras in the cami's and tank tops. Then the world will see it all. I even avoid tops w/ the built-in bra shelf because if I wear a bra then I've got cleavage up to my chin. Everyone would think I had implants for sure . I just happen to have great breasts that are in a great shape and still standing up high with no sag. On some tank tops the straps are large enough I can wear a normal bra and I also color coordinate my bra with my top.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:10 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,109 times
I have a couple bras that are adjustable to a halter or cross back - they are great! It seems like most of the tanks or spaghetti straps with built in bras are either not enough support, or look like they already have boobs in them - really unnatural!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty